[Complete] Four Phases of Love by Paul Heyse - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

You do sound really good and this is an excellent recording.

PL Note Section 3
: (11:17) Please trim about 1 to 1.5 seconds of silence from the end of your recording. I don't think it has to be exactly 5 seconds but probably should be a little closer to that. Thanks.

Edit: Also you could increase the volume (gain) a bit. At 86.6 db you are in range (86 - 92 db) but on the low side. Around 89 - 90 db is a good target.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Amazing! It's a pleasure listening to you read, Victor. I enjoy your voice, pace and enunciation. Your voice characterizations are remarkable especially the consistency with which they are applied for the major characters (narrator, Adam and Marion). Not everyone does these - and it's certainly possible to make a really outstanding recording without characterizations - but when they are done they can definitely enhance the experience for the listener, especially when done as artfully as you do them. Bravo.

PL Notes:
  • (00:00 - 26:08) Per checker, the volume of this recording is 79.0 db. It needs to be in the range of 86 - 92 dB per LV spec. Between 89 and 90 dB is an excellent target.
  • (26:08 - 26:15) Please trim about 2 seconds of the silence at the end of your recording; there seems to be a little more than 7 seconds and it should be closer to 5.

Also, there is a background noise (like a hum) throughout most of your recording. It is most noticeable during the narrator portions (e.g. you'll hear it over the first 3:15 or so of your recording) and silences. I went back to your 1-minute Test post to see which editor (e.g. Audacity, TwistedWave, etc.) you are using but did not see it there. As an experiment, and using Audacity, I took a small sample (about a half second) of the silence at the end of your mp3 to build a "noise profile" in Effect/Noise Reduction. I then applied Effect/Noise Reduction over the entire recording and it totally eliminated that hum. I would not fail your recording due to "noise" but I do urge you to consider applying some noise reduction technique because I do believe that you (and your listeners) will be pleased with the result.

I am looking forward to hearing a lot more from you!

Thanks,
Brian
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
JMcClan

Post by JMcClan »

BrianFullen wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:46 am
You do sound really good and this is an excellent recording.

PL Note Section 3
: (11:17) Please trim about 1 to 1.5 seconds of silence from the end of your recording. I don't think it has to be exactly 5 seconds but probably should be a little closer to that. Thanks.

Edit: Also you could increase the volume (gain) a bit. At 86.6 db you are in range (86 - 92 db) but on the low side. Around 89 - 90 db is a good target.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourphasesoflove_03_heyse_128kb.mp3. resubmitted
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Section 3 is PLOK! :clap:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

lazygameuse wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:12 am Hi!!! Here is my recording of section 8 (18:09). It's been a while since I've recorded anything
Well, then, let me be the first to say WELCOME BACK! Seriously, you read with such wonderful feeling and I find it very engaging. Please record more frequently! I'll try to be brief here because I feel an urgent need to listen to some bits from Household Tales (Version 2) and The Lost Lagoon. I'll make time for that - I promise!
so let me know if I've forgotten to do something on the file (especially on the noise reduction, any more sounded weird but it might not be a clean enough file)! :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/fourphasesoflove_08_heyse_128kb.mp3
I like your frankness. I'll reply in kind because, in fairness, I owe you that. I am asking that you reduce the background noise in your recording. I believe there is excellent advice here: viewtopic.php?p=2047588#p2047588 Scroll down to where wib66 says "To do this in Audacity" - the instructions there are most excellent, if you are indeed using Audacity (I don't think you said :wink: ). For Step 1, you could use a sample (o.5 to 1.0 seconds) from the silence before your intro. If you do both steps 1 and 2 in the wib66 post, then your recording will sound markedly better and I will PLOK it. There is a slightly different noise at around 4:28 that comes and goes over maybe the next minute or so. I would not fail your recording over it, but your recording would sound even better if you can get rid of it. If you are not using Audacity then tell me what you do use for editing and we'll try to figure something out. OK?

Oh, and the silence before your intro should really only be 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. It seems to be almost 1.5 seconds.

I wasn't brief. Was I? I'm working on it ... :help:

Kiitos,
Brian
victordorff

Post by victordorff »

BrianFullen wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:33 am
Amazing! It's a pleasure listening to you read, Victor. I enjoy your voice, pace and enunciation. Your voice characterizations are remarkable especially the consistency with which they are applied for the major characters (narrator, Adam and Marion). Not everyone does these - and it's certainly possible to make a really outstanding recording without characterizations - but when they are done they can definitely enhance the experience for the listener, especially when done as artfully as you do them. Bravo.

PL Notes:
  • (00:00 - 26:08) Per checker, the volume of this recording is 79.0 db. It needs to be in the range of 86 - 92 dB per LV spec. Between 89 and 90 dB is an excellent target.
  • (26:08 - 26:15) Please trim about 2 seconds of the silence at the end of your recording; there seems to be a little more than 7 seconds and it should be closer to 5.

Also, there is a background noise (like a hum) throughout most of your recording. It is most noticeable during the narrator portions (e.g. you'll hear it over the first 3:15 or so of your recording) and silences. I went back to your 1-minute Test post to see which editor (e.g. Audacity, TwistedWave, etc.) you are using but did not see it there. As an experiment, and using Audacity, I took a small sample (about a half second) of the silence at the end of your mp3 to build a "noise profile" in Effect/Noise Reduction. I then applied Effect/Noise Reduction over the entire recording and it totally eliminated that hum. I would not fail your recording due to "noise" but I do urge you to consider applying some noise reduction technique because I do believe that you (and your listeners) will be pleased with the result.

I am looking forward to hearing a lot more from you!

Thanks,
Brian
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I have a few questions:
1. Can you point me towards instructions on how to build a "noise profile" and apply it?
2. Other than moving closer to the microphone (or raising my voice-volume), is there a way to increase the volume of the recording in Audacity in real time?
3. Thank you for applying the Effect/Noice Reduction for me. In the case of the extra silence at the end of the recording, do you want me to trim it and resubmit? Or is that something you have already done?
Cheers!

Victor
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm 1. Can you point me towards instructions on how to build a "noise profile" and apply it?
I happened to see these earlier today. I think they are quite good. They are from a May 2022 post by forum user wib66:
Step 1 - Select a piece of background noise
Select a piece of background noise (no speech, breaths or other noises) in your audio.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... A dialog will pop up.
Click "Get Noise Profile" The dialog box will close instantly.

Step 2 - Noise Reduction
Press CTRL-A / Command-A to select your complete recording.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... again. Note: don't select "Repeat Noise Reduction" -- that instantly applies the default settings; you want to adjust the settings and preview the results before you apply the noise filters.
Set Noise Reduction (dB) to 12
Set sensitivity to 6.00
Set frequency smoothing bands to 3
Choose Noise: Reduce
Click ok
If you are the sort of person who likes to see an example there is a wealth of video tutorials at: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos
victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm
2. Other than moving closer to the microphone (or raising my voice-volume), is there a way to increase the volume of the recording in Audacity in real time?
It's never occurred to me to do that. I think maybe I could do it on my platform but mine is not at all like yours according to your 1-minute test post. Anything I might say here would probably be of no use to you.I guess you could post your question here viewforum.php?f=23 (Need Help? Got Advice?) and if you do that provide all relevant info about your setup. When I do find time to record myself I tend to be a heavy editor and I frequently adjust the volume of [parts of] my recording using Audacity Effect/Amplify and / or Effect/Normalize. But that doesn't qualify as real-time I suppose. I do have a question for you: are you comfortable using the Audacity Effect(s) I just mentioned?
victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm 3. Thank you for applying the Effect/Noice Reduction for me. In the case of the extra silence at the end of the recording, do you want me to trim it and resubmit? Or is that something you have already done?
I don't think I meant to say that I did your noise reduction for you. I believe I said that I experimented with a copy of your recording but the fact is that I did not save the result of that experiment. I do have a copy of your recording exactly as you uploaded it. You might wonder why. I copied it so that I could run Checker on it to ensure that it met LibriVox specs. When I BC a project or PL a section of a project I routinely do that. Yes, I could edit your file and upload it and PLOK it but I haven't signed up to do that. There is the possibility that we could ask for a volunteer to do your editing for you but is that really what you want? My bet is that you can edit your recording and upload your edited version - be sure to use the same file name that you used for the original - and it will pass. Do you agree?

Best wishes,
Brian
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Brian,

It appears that you are still looking for a DPL. I would be willing to do it if you would like.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Kalamareader wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:38 pm Brian,

It appears that you are still looking for a DPL. I would be willing to do it if you would like.

Thanks,

Wayne
Yes, Wayne, I am still looking for a DPL and I am more than pleased that you are willing to do it! Thank you, Brian
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Lynnet,

We have a DPL!

Thanks,
Brian

Edit: I forgot to ask if you could please remove my Listeners Wanted post. :oops:
victordorff

Post by victordorff »

BrianFullen wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:16 pm
victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm 1. Can you point me towards instructions on how to build a "noise profile" and apply it?
I happened to see these earlier today. I think they are quite good. They are from a May 2022 post by forum user wib66:
Step 1 - Select a piece of background noise
Select a piece of background noise (no speech, breaths or other noises) in your audio.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... A dialog will pop up.
Click "Get Noise Profile" The dialog box will close instantly.

Step 2 - Noise Reduction
Press CTRL-A / Command-A to select your complete recording.
In Menu click: Effect > Noise Reduction... again. Note: don't select "Repeat Noise Reduction" -- that instantly applies the default settings; you want to adjust the settings and preview the results before you apply the noise filters.
Set Noise Reduction (dB) to 12
Set sensitivity to 6.00
Set frequency smoothing bands to 3
Choose Noise: Reduce
Click ok
If you are the sort of person who likes to see an example there is a wealth of video tutorials at: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos
victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm
It's never occurred to me to do that. I think maybe I could do it on my platform but mine is not at all like yours according to your 1-minute test post. Anything I might say here would probably be of no use to you.I guess you could post your question here viewforum.php?f=23 (Need Help? Got Advice?) and if you do that provide all relevant info about your setup. When I do find time to record myself I tend to be a heavy editor and I frequently adjust the volume of [parts of] my recording using Audacity Effect/Amplify and / or Effect/Normalize. But that doesn't qualify as real-time I suppose. I do have a question for you: are you comfortable using the Audacity Effect(s) I just mentioned?
victordorff wrote: January 28th, 2023, 4:45 pm 3. Thank you for applying the Effect/Noice Reduction for me. In the case of the extra silence at the end of the recording, do you want me to trim it and resubmit? Or is that something you have already done?
I don't think I meant to say that I did your noise reduction for you. I believe I said that I experimented with a copy of your recording but the fact is that I did not save the result of that experiment. I do have a copy of your recording exactly as you uploaded it. You might wonder why. I copied it so that I could run Checker on it to ensure that it met LibriVox specs. When I BC a project or PL a section of a project I routinely do that. Yes, I could edit your file and upload it and PLOK it but I haven't signed up to do that. There is the possibility that we could ask for a volunteer to do your editing for you but is that really what you want? My bet is that you can edit your recording and upload your edited version - be sure to use the same file name that you used for the original - and it will pass. Do you agree?

Best wishes,
Brian
Thank you, Brian. I absolutely want to be able to do the edits and improvements myself. I will work through what you have suggested and resubmit.

Again, thanks for your time.

Victor
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BrianFullen wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:40 pm
Kalamareader wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:38 pm Brian,

Thanks,

Wayne
Yes, Wayne, I am still looking for a DPL and I am more than pleased that you are willing to do it! Thank you, Brian
Wayne added as DPL.

I have edited the post in Listeners Wanted… it is policy not to actually delete it until the book is complete.
lazygameuse

Post by lazygameuse »

BrianFullen wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:02 pm
lazygameuse wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:12 am Hi!!! Here is my recording of section 8 (18:09). It's been a while since I've recorded anything
Well, then, let me be the first to say WELCOME BACK! Seriously, you read with such wonderful feeling and I find it very engaging. Please record more frequently! I'll try to be brief here because I feel an urgent need to listen to some bits from Household Tales (Version 2) and The Lost Lagoon. I'll make time for that - I promise!
so let me know if I've forgotten to do something on the file (especially on the noise reduction, any more sounded weird but it might not be a clean enough file)! :)
I like your frankness. I'll reply in kind because, in fairness, I owe you that. I am asking that you reduce the background noise in your recording. I believe there is excellent advice here: viewtopic.php?p=2047588#p2047588 Scroll down to where wib66 says "To do this in Audacity" - the instructions there are most excellent, if you are indeed using Audacity (I don't think you said :wink: ). For Step 1, you could use a sample (o.5 to 1.0 seconds) from the silence before your intro. If you do both steps 1 and 2 in the wib66 post, then your recording will sound markedly better and I will PLOK it. There is a slightly different noise at around 4:28 that comes and goes over maybe the next minute or so. I would not fail your recording over it, but your recording would sound even better if you can get rid of it. If you are not using Audacity then tell me what you do use for editing and we'll try to figure something out. OK?

Oh, and the silence before your intro should really only be 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. It seems to be almost 1.5 seconds.

I wasn't brief. Was I? I'm working on it ... :help:

Kiitos,
Brian

Hi!!!
Thank you so much for the kind feedback! I'm trying to record more and this was very encouraging! (Maybe I'll claim the other chapters of La Rabbiata if I find some time next week...)

Here is the new version of section 8, with the proper noise reduction (I hope, the Checker said it was fine). I added some noise reduction for the 4.30-5.30 minute to reduce the background noise (I assume it's my fridge, I hadn't noticed while recording), I hope it's alright now. I also cut that extra second at the start so it's now 18:08 and not 18:09 (a huge difference).

If I need to modify anything else, please let me know! (Oh, and yes I am using Audacity).

Ole hyvä!
Emma
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

lazygameuse wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:27 pm Hi!!!
(Maybe I'll claim the other chapters of La Rabbiata if I find some time next week...)
If you do take La Rabbiata, Chapter II please promise that you will read: "She soon rose again; her clothes clung tightly around her; the water had loosened her hair, which hung in heavy masses around her neck."

It seems perhaps that Gutenberg scanner/digiizer solution interpreted 'cl' as 'd' and I struggle with the dung imagery. I'm pretty darn sure the author didn't intend that! :lol:

I'll mark your section 8 Ready for Spot PL. Cheers.
LeanneCvetan

Post by LeanneCvetan »

[quote=
But of course we don't have a Dedicated PL for this project[/u] and are advertising for volunteers to do PL for us. So, if you were in fact, doing a bit of PL that would be great! You can PL any section of this project except of course any section that you read. That's because LV has a "second set of ears policy". I actually think it is a good thing for a new reader to do a bit of PL; by that I mean I think it helps them make better recordings themselves.

So, what do you say? Would you be willing to do a spot (or spots) of PL on this project. If you are willing to do the sections that you do not yourself record, we can even credit you as DPL when the project is cataloged. For that to happen, our MC would need to assign you as DPL and send you a sort of "DPL welcome package" to explain access to MW, etc. Are you game? I think you could be quite good at it. You have the prerequisite desire and willingness to provide feedback (positive encouragement for a job well done is a good thing).

I did a quick check on section 3 using Checker and it does meet LV tech specs. I haven't listened to it myself but you have. Would you say it is PLOK? (if you wanted me to do so, I could double-check the first time, i.e. section 3).

So, are you willing to PL or, better yet DPL. If you agree to DPL I would be willing to PL only the sections that you read and you will be credited as DPL on this project.
[/quote]

Hi Brian, go ahead and send me that welcome package if you'd like. I am afraid my own recording will have to wait now a bit as I have tested positive for covid as of Saturday morning, but in the meantime, I can learn the next set of new skills, concentration permitting.
L