ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Is there going to be a January 2nd Zoom meeting?

And Happy New Year to all! 🍾🎉
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for reminding me, Mary. Tomorrow is proving too close to the holidays for me, so I would like to reschedule for next Monday. I do have a few neat tricks to share, so let's call it "Neat Tricks" and meet up on January 9th, 11 a.m CST.

By The Way, today is Public Domain Day, and if anyone knows where to find the list of books published in 1927 (that come into the public domain TODAY), please let us know.

Happy New Year to all.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Good stuff!
Thank you Jo.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

OK I see Zoom rescheduled for Jan 9-I'll try but day busy...Pam
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Jo. And here's a thread started a few days ago, by KevinS. It's only up to 4 pages of suggested titles so far, with only a few participants, so anything more we find should be added to that thread.
Some books entering the Public Domain in the USA in 2023
msfry

Post by msfry »

January's "First Monday's" Zoom meeting is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend.

Topic: Neat Tricks, Metadata, Public Domain Day, and other TidBits.
Time: Jan 9th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada) EDIT: Postponed from January 2nd, due to the holidays.
Host: Michele fry

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84452418640?pwd=SEhCb1lhWStjejhYSXhYL1VTRHMzQT09

Meeting ID: 844 5241 8640
Passcode: 477722
smike

Post by smike »

I forgot. :oops:
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

Grace has made her own Wikipedia Page for an LV book and is willing to share her experience. Here's the discussion we had on another forum:
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 am Next on my agenda is to lay out the steps and encourage the creation of book and author Wikipedia pages if they don't yet exist. Stay tuned. :D
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:18 am I tackled this challenge for creating one author page and overcame many obstacles with success. I'll be glad to share my experience. I can summarize my experience by explaining that each person who has the authority to accept/reject a new Wikipedia page has their own criteria in spite of the general Wikipedia recommendations.
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 amI'd love to hear how that went! We have a First Mondays Zoom session coming up on February 6th, 11 a.m. Would you like to explain it there?
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:18 amI'd LOVE to!!!!! :D However I have an essential doctor appointment at that time. :(

I could spend a few months collecting and organizing my notes and refreshing my memory to do a structured presentation...or I could enjoy the informality of a Q&A session. I'll just refresh my memory beforehand. [rakes mats of cobwebs away]

Q&A on Thursday Feb. 2, 10 a.m. ET/11 a.m. CT/12 noon MT/1 p.m. PT might be an appropriate way to celebrate Ground Hog's Day. Each time I revised and resubmitted my Wikipedia page, I waited to see whether I'd have more weeks of "winter" as my page lied buried underground. At last Punxatawny Phil celebrated the posting of the page in the actual Springtime!

Is anyone else interested and available Thurs. Feb. 2 10 a.m. ET?
Or Friday Feb. 3 at 10 a.m.?
Or Wed. Feb. 8 at 10 a.m.?
Or 10:30 a.m.?
Sometimes 1:30 or 2 ET work well for me, but that's my second choice.
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 amLet me transfer this over to the Zoom Discussion Thread, where people can weigh in.
To all: My first choice would be to schedule Grace in for a regular 1st Mondays on March 6th, 11 a.m. CST, with others chiming in who have created Wikipedia pages. Second choice would be 1:30 one day in the middle of February. I don't do 9 a.m. at all (CST), but afternoons work well. And Grace is free to host her own Zoom Q&A, or someone can do it for her.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I'm afraid I got my time zones backwards:
10 a.m. ET/9 a.m. CT/8 a.m. MT/7 a.m. PT
Corrected below
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:50 am Grace has made her own Wikipedia Page for an LV book and is willing to share her experience. Here's the discussion we had on another forum:
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 am Next on my agenda is to lay out the steps and encourage the creation of book and author Wikipedia pages if they don't yet exist. Stay tuned. :D
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:18 am I tackled this challenge for creating one author page and overcame many obstacles with success. I'll be glad to share my experience. I can summarize my experience by explaining that each person who has the authority to accept/reject a new Wikipedia page has their own criteria in spite of the general Wikipedia recommendations.
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 amI'd love to hear how that went! We have a First Mondays Zoom session coming up on February 6th, 11 a.m. Would you like to explain it there?
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:18 amI'd LOVE to!!!!! :D However I have an essential doctor appointment at that time. :(

I could spend a few months collecting and organizing my notes and refreshing my memory to do a structured presentation...or I could enjoy the informality of a Q&A session. I'll just refresh my memory beforehand. [rakes mats of cobwebs away]

Q&A on Thursday Feb. 2, 10 a.m. ET/9 a.m. CT/8 a.m. MT/7 a.m. PT might be an appropriate way to celebrate Ground Hog's Day. Each time I revised and resubmitted my Wikipedia page, I waited to see whether I'd have more weeks of "winter" as my page lied buried underground. At last Punxatawny Phil celebrated the posting of the page in the actual Springtime!

Is anyone else interested and available Thurs. Feb. 2 10 a.m. ET?
Or Friday Feb. 3 at 10 a.m.?
Or Wed. Feb. 8 at 10 a.m.?
Or 10:30 a.m.?
Sometimes 1:30 or 2 ET work well for me, but that's my second choice.
msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 amLet me transfer this over to the Zoom Discussion Thread, where people can weigh in.
To all: My first choice would be to schedule Grace in for a regular 1st Mondays on March 6th, 11 a.m. CST, with others chiming in who have created Wikipedia pages. Second choice would be 1:30 one day in the middle of February. I don't do 9 a.m. at all (CST), but afternoons work well. And Grace is free to host her own Zoom Q&A, or someone can do it for her.
Last edited by GraceBuchanan on January 28th, 2023, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Assuming we’re doing the Wikipedia Page discussion in March, what is scheduled for the first Monday in February?

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

What’s on the agenda for the February Zoom session?

msfry

Post by msfry »

Based on a review of just one video of a previous meeting, I've come up with some more material that was never fully covered. So I'm psyched for our next Zoom session and have posted the Announcement, thus

February's "First Monday's" Zoom meeting is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Be prepared to share a neat editing tip or trick.

Topic: Libriversary Update, , BRAGS, the SQUELCH problem, 5 minute editing demos.
Time: Feb 6th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

Lets see a show of hands if you can make it, just so I know I won't be there all by myself.
Last edited by msfry on February 5th, 2023, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:43 am Based on a review of just one video of a previous meeting, I've come up with some more material that was never fully covered. So I'm psyched for our next Zoom session and have posted the Announcement, thus

February's "First Monday's" Zoom meeting is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Be prepared to share a neat editing tip or trick.

Topic: Libriversary Update, the SQUELCH problem, 5 minute editing demos.
Time: Feb 6th, 2023 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

Lets see a show of hands if you can make it, just so I know I won't be there all by myself.
I intend to attend and extend and transcend my abysmal ignorance and learn a few tricks and tips. See you there!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
loon

Post by loon »

I think I'll be able to make it - I put a note in the calendar, at least.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN