COMPLETE[PLAY]Beauty Stone, by Pinero and Carr - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Beauty Stone, by Arthur Wing Pinero (1855 - 1934) and Joseph Comyns Carr (1849 - 1916)
Not your usual Pinero play. Gilbert and Sullivan had stopped collaborating, and so Pinero - at the height of his very successful career - and a lyricist named Comyns Carr were teamed up with Sullivan to prepare this "romantic musical drama in three acts". It is sorta the Faust story with the Devil, a magic stone that enhances the appearance of its wearer, and all the peoples of a medieval village and castle. Sorry to say, we are not including Sullivan's music in this release.
(Summary by ToddHW)
This project is complete. Audio files may be found on our Librivox catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-beauty-stone-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

After the Pinero tearjerker we just finished, it is time for something completely different. A musical - without the music or dance, of course. Pinero was roped into taking Gilbert' s spot on the Gilbert and Sullivan team. That this is the only time he did that tells you what he and/or the public thought about this...

Gender neutral, of course.

DO NOT SING. Just read any song parts as chants or poetry so I can overlay lines where necessary when I edit.

Kitty will be our DPL and will try to keep the force of darkness (that would be me) from taking control of the situation.

Remember the mantra: "if in doubt about recording a line, record it. Easier to cut something out later than to track someone down and get a clean addition to the original file." Hmmm. A bit long for a mantra. Howsabout: "In Doubt? Record It."

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924022299410/page/n8

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Genres for the project: Plays/Romance

Keywords that describe the book: faust, devil, appearance

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Beauty Stone, by Arthur Wing Pinero and Joseph Comyns Carr. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Beauty Stone, by Arthur Wing Pinero and Joseph Comyns Carr."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: beautystone_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. beautystone_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: beautystone_#_pinero_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. beautystone_1_pinero_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

May I claim Simon instead?

Thank you!

Greg
Last edited by GregGiordano on January 27th, 2023, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

placing a cookie crumb for DPL and I'll do Jacqueline. Another one of those plays where you can boss me around, Todd ;) rarely enough, so savour it while it lasts.

Sonia
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'd like to read A Lad of the Town - these chorus verses look like fun!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Todd,

I switched my request to Simon.

Thank you,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:05 amI switched my request to Simon.
I switched you around so as not to get confused by open roles. :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Would love to play Philip, Lord of Mirlemont. :D
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Guntran of Beaugrant please!

I was tempted to play Nicholas if only for the chance to call Sonia an "unmannerly wench" :lol:
Last edited by alanmapstone on January 27th, 2023, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Guntran of Beaugrant looks like an interesting character, so let me take him, if I may.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 27th, 2023, 10:02 amI was tempted to play Nicholas if only for the chance to call Sonia an "unmannerly wench" :lol:
I find the motives for choosing your roles highly unmannerly, Alan :lol:

Ok now I know what I have to think of the person who finally will claim Nicholas :|

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

silverquill wrote: January 27th, 2023, 10:07 am Guntran of Beaugrant looks like an interesting character, so let me take him, if I may.
I'm afraid that Alan beat you to this by 5 minutes (see above).

Got a second choice?

Thanks, Todd
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

I usually ask for the one at the top of this list, but the implied threat from Sonia means that I'll ask for the Seneschal instead.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:20 amI usually ask for the one at the top of this list, but the implied threat from Sonia means that I'll ask for the Seneschal instead.
oh no ! I wouldn't want our dear Nicholas to be shunned just because of something I said. And it wasn't a threat ;) I'm quite sure you (unlike Alan :mrgreen: ) had highly commendable reasons for wanting to do Nicholas...so please feel free to claim him and I'd be looking forward to hearing your version of calling me an unmannerly wench. :lol: I haven't read the play in detail, maybe there's a great comeuppance I can give you back in the scene.

Anyway...I've been called worse by Todd and Co... :roll: nothing can really shock me.

Sonia