[SOLO] Bicycling for Ladies by Maria E. Ward -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:54 amI don't recall how picky you are with pronunciation. "Chamois" at 1:25 is usually pronounced "SHAM-ee". Just noting it, if you want to do anything with it. :)
I corrected it, if you want to spot-check. It's a word I've seen occasionally in print, but I've only known one person who ever used it in conversation. That was my Grandpa, who used what he called a "shammis" when he polished his car. So I guess I must have subconsciously picked up his pronunciation. Now that I think of it, though, Grandpa had a number of odd linguistic quirks, He was a first-generation speaker of English, who probably learned some of these quirks from his parents. I remember he used to say "close the light", instead of "turn off the light", and he tended to pronounce "th" as just "t" - ("yoot" and "troot" and "tink"). So I wouldn't really be surprised that he may have had his own way of pronouncing "shammis".
TriciaG wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:54 amI really should learn how to maintain my own bike, rather than having Kevin do it for me all the time. Especially when out on a solo ride, I really should learn how to fix a flat.
Well now, I guess your comments have put me in a "remembering Grandpa" state of mind tonight. He always used to fix my bike for me. Also my car, my desk lamp, my sewing machine, etc. But he always would say, "Ah, I can do it faster myself", whenever any of us asked him to show us how. When he was gone, I had to clumsily try to teach myself in later life. If Kevin is a more willing teacher than my Grandpa was, now's your chance to take advantage of it, and demand to learn!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, see what I brought up! :lol:

Chamois okay now. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Tricia!

Here's Chapter 16 - Where to Keep a Bicycle
(Length 13:56)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bicyclingforladies_16_ward_128kb.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There is about 2 minutes of silence at the end. Nothing is missing.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

TriciaG wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:47 pm There is about 2 minutes of silence at the end. Nothing is missing.
Now THAT is extremely weird!
When I re-opened the saved Audacity project, there were only the usual 5 seconds of silence at the end. But when I exported it again, it exported with the extra silence - which wasn't actually there!
When I clicked in the left-hand box, which normally selects and highlights the entire track, it actually highlighted BEYOND the end of the track. There's your extra 2 minutes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4avuxwe5oev8so/Screenshot%20LV.JPG?dl=0

I tried several times to highlight ONLY the length of the actual recording, and exporting that. But it kept automatically changing to highlight the empty space also, and exporting with the nonexistent silence.
Finally, I copy/pasted the track into a fresh Audacity project, exported it again from there, and (whew!) the extra silence went away.
So it should now be okay, if you want to check. (New length is 11:55).

But it has NEVER done that before! I have no idea why it did that this time.
The only thing that I can think of, is that it might perhaps be highlighting the length which the track used to be before editing.
But why is it doing that now, when it never did so before? Is there a bug in Audacity? Some sort of update creating a strange glitch?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Very strange!

My Audacity doesn't auto-update. Does yours? If so, maybe some weird glitch.

Or maybe it's the green comet. :hmm:

OK now!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

As far as I know, mine has never auto-updated. I'm still using Audacity 2.1.3 - which was the 2017 update. Haven't updated since, as I like this version and am used to it.
Well, it's a mystery, then. I'll hope it was a one-time glitch. But next time I export a section, I'll be sure to zoom out and verify that it's exporting only the actual file and nothing extra.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Tomorrow is World Bicycle Day! Is this still on your radar, Maria?
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Oh, my goodness! I'm sorry, Jo, that I've had this project on a back burner for so long. It's been awhile since I've even had LV on my radar. Please forgive me for not at least checking in!

Yes, I do really want to get back to work here, to finish this project, and to dip my toe into other projects. I'm going to make the effort to pull it to a front burner, and get cooking again!

I have a day off from work on Wednesday July 19th, and I'm going to specifically schedule some LV time for that date, to be sure I don't let it fill up with other stuff. Hoping to get the next chapter done that day!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for the update Maria!
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Well, there's been some discombobulation to my plans. I have a fractured right arm and a broken finger in my right hand. I've often wished I had some time off from work, to catch up at LV, but now that I've got some enforced time off, I can't edit, as I'm right-handed.

I've got three more chapters recorded, however. And I can go ahead and record the remaining three in the next few days. But I won't be able to edit until I get this arm functional again. And of course, as soon as my arm is functional, I'll be back at work. What a waste of this unexpected free time!

However, with all the chapters recorded and ready and waiting, I should be able to edit them bit by bit, even after I'm back at work. So this mass of recording time will have been useful, in the long run!

By the way, Chapter 18 included three tables. I attempted to figure out a way to read them, but failed, so I simply said, "This chapter ends with three tables, which are omitted in this recording." Will that be acceptable? Or should I take another whack at reading them?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, wow! What misfortune!

I'm not THE MC, but as AN MC, I think you're OK to omit the tables.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Agree regarding the tables.

So sorry to hear about your broken arm and finger, Maria. :( After all these years of computer use, I have long term issues with my right wrist, so I have had a mouse on both sides of my keyboard for a long time now and can do most things equally well left-handed as right. Just takes practice. (Not that I'm suggesting you edit your files left-handed...) On a more helpful note, if you would like some help with the editing, let us know.
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Tricia and Jo! I'll omit the tables, then. Wish I could "mouse" left-handed! I keep right-clicking when I want to left-click, and vice-versa. Jo, your mouse-ambidexterity sounds impressive! I'll get the rest of the recording done over the next few days.

I can let you know later if I'd like editing help. Thank you for offering. My files can be twiddley things to edit, since I sometimes re-read not on account of errors, but just because I wanted a different tone of voice, and I'm the only one who knows which attempt I was intending to roll with.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Maria - just confirming that this is still on your radar...:)
Jo