[Complete] Coffee Break Collection #35 - BIRDS - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Coffee Break Collection #35 -- Birds, by Various Authors ( - ).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/coffee-break-collection-035-birds-by-various/

This is the 35th Coffee Break Collection, in which Librivox readers select and read stories or poems, fiction or non-fiction pieces of fifteen minutes' duration or less, suitable for short commutes and coffee breaks. The subject for this collection is "BIRDS" (includes bird watching, training, pets, migratory patterns, filming, fantasy fiction, etc ... and the collection is full after 20 pieces have been submitted.
  • There is no need to pre-claim. You will read from text you provide.

Where do I find the text? Any Public Domain text is acceptable. Project Gutenberg is a good place to search for material, and you might run across authors/stories mentioned in other stories you are reading.
    Here is two sources:
    Stories of Bird Life
    Birds Through An Opera Glass

New to recording? This is a great place to start. Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening: standard. Michele Fry (msfry) will DPL. (Note: if you are new, please read the PL FAQ). Be sure to edit and proof listen your own files before submitting!

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( VARIOUS) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Single Author Collections

Keywords that describe the book: birds

============================================
[*]BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

[*]DURING recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (INTRO)
"Title of story by author. Coffee Break Collection 35 - Birds This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" If a poem, omit the italicized intro and add shortened disclaimer at the end (as shown below).
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Title of story"

END of recording (OUTRO)
At the end of the section, say:
"End of title", by Author
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
If a poem, add “This Librivox recording is in the public domain.”
[There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
AFTER recording
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as:
128 kbps MP3
cbc35_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. cbc35_falcontraining_mtf_128kb.mp3) (remember to ignore 'the', 'a' at the beginning of your title)
Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

• You'll need to select the MC folder, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post in this thread:
  • The link from the uploader
    The file length in mm:ss
    The title of the story
    The author of the story with birth and death dates if available. Translator's birth and death dates if applicable
    Link to the online text.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

BC/DPL: msfry Michele Fry
MC: LynneT Lynne
Cover: msfry Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on March 12th, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Here's a short one.

Wings (from Twenty-Four Unusual Stories for Boys and Girls) by Anna Cogswell Tyler
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/34618/pg34618-images.html#Page_115

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_wings_qtn_128kb.mp3
4:09

Not sure what the "moral" of the story is, but it sure does fit with the "unusual" criteria of the collection.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thannks, quartertone. Something unusual to enjoy with my morning coffee. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wings is PL OK. I used to dream I could fly, but only around my back yard and no higher than 15' or so. Didn't have wings, though. Just held my arms out. :D
Steve

Post by Steve »

One about the life of the rook:

The Black Republic by Tickner Edwardes (1865 - 1944)

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_blackrepublic_scc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 16:39

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.086751100&view=2up&seq=167

FYI – This story also appears in my project: An Idler In The Wilds but I thought that it would make an interesting inclusion for this Coffee Break Collection.

The story submitted here is a completely different recording to the one that I have produced for use in my project.

Hope that will be OK?

Cheers

Steve
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Steve. I look forward to listening, and I sometimes re-record a chapter from a book I have recorded or BC'd, because it stands out on its own as well, and provides an interesting cross reference to (i.e. advertises) the book.
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Black Republic is PL OK. Nicely read, interesting, and I learned a new word:

puling = A plaintive piping, as of a chicken; a whining complaint.
Now how to use that in a sentence? How about "Aw, quit your puling!"

As your file exceeds 15 minutes considerably, and you read slowly enough, I toyed with increasing tempo by +6, which shaves off about a minute. Take a listen and if you're willing, we'll put this one in instead. Notice the _t6_ in my file name.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_blackrepublic_t6_scc_128kb.mp3
Steve

Post by Steve »

msfry wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:02 pm The Black Republic is PL OK. Nicely read, interesting, and I learned a new word:

puling = A plaintive piping, as of a chicken; a whining complaint.
Now how to use that in a sentence? How about "Aw, quit your puling!"
I too had to check out puling and also contemn (archaic): regarding or viewing with contempt – had me reaching for an online dictionary!
As your file exceeds 15 minutes considerably, and you read slowly enough, I toyed with increasing tempo by +6, which shaves off about a minute. Take a listen and if you're willing, we'll put this one in instead. Notice the _t6_ in my file name.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_blackrepublic_t6_scc_128kb.mp3
I normally adjust my recordings a bit and had increased tempo by +5 before uploading the file to bring the time down to fit in the upper time ranges that had been allowed in previous CB Collections.

I don’t have a problem if your file is used instead. :)

Cheers

Steve
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Steve. Made the switch. Sounds great! I try not to fudge the time by much, though it has happened. :mrgreen:
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Hello,

Here's a poem.

Title: The Robin
Author: Witter Bynner (1881-1968)
Source: https://poets.org/poem/robin
“The Robin” was originally published in Young Harvard, and Other Poems (Frederick A. Stokes, 1907).
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_robin_plm_128kb.mp3
Length: 01:02

Paula
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Hi M,

The LibriVox catalog (eg, in the readers' catalog pages) is categorizing this collection as "Solo", which I'm sure it's not.

Just fyi! :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

quartertone wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:32 am Hi M,

The LibriVox catalog (eg, in the readers' catalog pages) is categorizing this collection as "Solo", which I'm sure it's not.

Not sure what you mean. Please point me to a link. I see the project is listed as [GRP] in the Readers Wanted: Short Works forum.
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

msfry wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:51 am
quartertone wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:32 am Hi M,

Not sure what you mean. Please point me to a link. I see the project is listed as [GRP] in the Readers Wanted: Short Works forum.
For example, in my reader's catalog link https://librivox.org/reader/18128 , under "Coffee Break Collection 035 - Birds" it says "Open | Solo | English". (Same with Steve's Librivox link).
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Paula. Nice poem. Only one issue: in your intro, you say "Whitner" for Witter as the author's name.