Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Bookworm360 wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:35 pm Any tips for us readers of languages which we are not fluent in? (BTW, is the archaic language Old English? Because it is SO neat!)
1. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
2. Old English, Middle English, Early Modern Engish, I imagine it all depends on the chapter and the period/work under discussion.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

For everybody who wants to record in their second, third, ... n-th language:
We are absolutely fine with that but we do have the requirement of "being understood by a native speaker".

It's one thing to be "not fluent" - I have recorded in my French that has been buried since high school; it takes a lot of extra preparation and pre-reading aloud. And even though I can cut out the wrong takes, it is a very painful experience and I wouldn't want to read a whole book in French. Or any of the other languages I once spoke fairly competently.

It's a completely other thing to record in "a language of which I have minimal grasp" - I will not attempt to record anything in Japanese for years to come, even though I've been living in the country for a decade now. The sentence structure, the complicated grammar, those $%*)& kanji and the interesting prosody make it all but impossible to read like an intelligent person. I would not want to subject anybody to my trials and errors. My Japanese teacher is suffering enough, thank you so much.

In this particular case, since we're talking about a book from the 13th century, I would be even more hesitant to read this in any language, even my mother tongue.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When you haven't had much time to record anything, but tonight you do have time, so you start recording a very long chapter, hoping to finish recording it, if not editing. But then before you even get a quarter of the way through it, your voice is already feeling scratchy and dry and painful and doesn't even sound good anymore. :cry:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KevinS wrote: July 29th, 2022, 7:29 pm I did it again. I read a 15-minute section aloud, but forgot to hit the record button.

Maybe it will sound better read a second time.
Yes, that's been my experience, as frustrating as it is . . . . . :roll:

I'm trying to do more checks before recording, like is the mike plugged in and selected. Do a short mike check, etc. but still, something can slip by me.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: December 15th, 2022, 6:24 pm When you haven't had much time to record anything, but tonight you do have time, so you start recording a very long chapter, hoping to finish recording it, if not editing. But then before you even get a quarter of the way through it, your voice is already feeling scratchy and dry and painful and doesn't even sound good anymore. :cry:
Or the neighbor's dog starts howling (I loved it when we had no neighbors close), or a dozen other interruptions. But, the scratchy voice is a bummer, for sure.
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

...when the microphone picks up all the gurgling noises coming from your stomach.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

KevinS wrote: January 13th, 2023, 4:42 pm ...when the microphone picks up all the gurgling noises coming from your stomach.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny to hear about, but not funny to experience in the moment! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Starlite wrote: August 17th, 2011, 1:49 pm .... when you do a clean-up of your computer and accidentally delete an unedited hour long recording. :(
When you've recorded and edited an entire book !!!, but save it for a whole year (when it's to go into the PD) -- in three places, and then when the time comes ... it's totally disappeared. :oops:

Well, my second recording was a bit better :wink:
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

oooo - that's a real bummer! I'm sure that would happen to me, too :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

KevinS wrote: January 13th, 2023, 4:42 pm ...when the microphone picks up all the gurgling noises coming from your stomach.
Uh, yeah, that's a real thing.
~ Larry
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

silverquill wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Uh, yeah, that's a real thing.

the tummy gurgle as well as my cat wheezing in his sleep 6 yards away 8-)
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
txphred

Post by txphred »

... when my chair starts squeaking.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

...when you suddenly realize that you, as a middle-aged woman, are not at all sure how to sound like a nice young man who is trying to sound like a lovelorn female hawk, but that is what you need to do for about a quarter of the chapter you claimed
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on May 5th, 2023, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JoannaHoyt wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:19 pm ...when you suddenly realized that you, as a middle-aged woman, are not at all sure how to sound like a nice young man who is trying to sound like a lovelorn female hawk, but that is what you need to do for about a quarter of the chapter you claimed
Ha!

If you're stuck, you COULD throw the section back into the claim pool. There's no shame in it. I've done it a few times. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

TriciaG wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:25 pm
Ha!

If you're stuck, you COULD throw the section back into the claim pool. There's no shame in it. I've done it a few times. :)

I could, indeed. Instead I've tried recording it but haven't nerved myself to listen back yet.

The consolation is that probably most readers will not have heard actual nice young men trying to speak older English in the manner of lovelorn female hawks, so won't have a basis for comparison...
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.