John Maxcy Zane Bibliography

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
LectorRecitator

Post by LectorRecitator »

JOHN MAXCY ZANE (1863–1937)

The Story Of Law (1927)

ℹ️ "The subject matter is of enthralling interest, and it seems strange that so few attempts have hitherto been made to tell the story of law for the benefit of the general reader. The book is opportune, for one of the gratifying signs of recent times has been the reaction in the field of literature from the trivial and ephemeral to the serious and permanent. A few years ago it had seemed to some of us—paradoxical as such a conclusion was—that the age of expanding science and wider vision had resulted, with the average man, in an unprecedented dulling of the imagination and an unusual preference for the trivial and unimportant. I devoted the last four chapters of my book on the Constitution of the United States to the thesis that the evil of our generation was the loss of any true sense of the values of human life, and until recent years I had little occasion to modify this pessimistic conclusion. A few years ago it would have seemed improbable that books like Wells’ "Outline of History" or Durant’s "Story of Philosophy" could ever be among the season’s best sellers. On the contrary, the book of which one could safely make such a prophecy would be the latest literary garbage. The age of the "moving picture" brain apparently asked nothing to satisfy its mental hunger than mental impressions as effervescent as a passing picture
upon the cinema screen."
(Introduction)

https://archive.org/details/storyoflaw0000john_h2z7/page/n7/mode/2up