[COMPLETE] Letters to a Daughter, by Bland-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Letters to a Daughter, by Hubert Bland (1855 - 1914)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/letters-to-a-daughter-by-hubert-bland/
Letters to a Daughter is a collection of essays proffering ‘fatherly advice’ in the form a one-sided correspondence. Each of these is an apparent response to a question that a young woman who is about to enter adult society might pose to a parent, in this case her father. The fictional daughter in Letters to a Daughter is named ‘Alexa’. The author, Hubert Bland, a columnist and political activist, dedicated the book to his daughter, Rosamund Edith Nesbit Bland.

While married to the author Edith Nesbit, Mr. Bland had a lifelong extramarital relationship with Alice Hoatson, the birth mother of Rosamund - Edith, Alice and Hubert lived together ‘openly’. Rosamund wrote The Man in the Stone House, a novel about a young woman’s relationship with her parents and the children’s book Moo Cow Tales; she also wrote the children's book Cat Tales with her adoptive mother, Edith Nesbit. (Summary by Brian Fullen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/69440

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Epistolary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: edwardian era, parental guidance, cultural norms

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Letters to a Daughter. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Letters to a Daughter, by Hubert Bland. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Letters to a Daughter, by Hubert Bland."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: letterstoadaughter_##_bland_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. letterstoadaughter_01_bland_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on February 13th, 2023, 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I will MC this for you. Back in a minute with your MW.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you should be all set. Let me know if anything doesn't look right.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

mightyfelix wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:01 pm Ok, you should be all set. Let me know if anything doesn't look right.
You have made my day and thank you for that! Everything looks rosy so far as I can see - must be the tinted glasses! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Excellent. And I see that you have your MW all filled in. :clap:

I think we will stay parked here for a day or so in hopes of snagging a DPL early in the game. I will move us over to Readers Wanted tomorrow.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I know you're not in Readers Wanted yet, but if an early claim is OK, I'd like to volunteer for the first 2 sections.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

JenniferFour wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 8:16 pm I know you're not in Readers Wanted yet, but if an early claim is OK, I'd like to volunteer for the first 2 sections.
Thank you so much! I am more than pleased to honor your claim! :D
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Thanks!
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll go ahead and move us out of the Launch Pad now, as it's getting rather crowded in here. We will hope to pick up a DPL along the way, or else you can advertise for one later on.
HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

I hope these are good! Throw me down for section 15 if you please! I'm so excited to skim these other sections. What a wonderful little collection.
Things I'm working on:
Editing: None.
Recording: Soldiers | Super Secret Solo Project
Fixing: None
I will PL for you if it is ready. Just pm me a link to the thread.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

mightyfelix wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:32 pm I'll go ahead and move us out of the Launch Pad now, as it's getting rather crowded in here. We will hope to pick up a DPL along the way, or else you can advertise for one later on.
Great. Thanks so much. When we have a section uploaded, I will advertise unless, as you say, we have a DPL by then. :)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

HopesUnicorn wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:34 pm I hope these are good! Throw me down for section 15 if you please! I'm so excited to skim these other sections. What a wonderful little collection.
Yes, Hope, you are now assigned section 15. I notice you have been doing a lot of PL (and thanks for doing that!) and are claiming quite a few sections over several projects. Very busy! I think you are wise to have selected Section 15 for your claim here! Enjoy this one too! :) Cheers, Brian :clap:
HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

BrianFullen wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:49 pm
HopesUnicorn wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:34 pm I hope these are good! Throw me down for section 15 if you please! I'm so excited to skim these other sections. What a wonderful little collection.
Yes, Hope, you are now assigned section 15. I notice you have been doing a lot of PL (and thanks for doing that!) and are claiming quite a few sections over several projects. Very busy! I think you are wise to have selected Section 15 for your claim here! Enjoy this one too! :) Cheers, Brian :clap:
Hyperfixation of the moment is narrating. (I go through boughts and droughts)

Anywho, enough about me, here's that pesky file for you

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/letterstoadaughter_15_bland_128kb.mp3 05:11

This was a beautiful read. I like to think this was a wise man, whoever he was. Very fine... I'm still not sure what my section was about though. I know it was an engagement and it got cut off but I don't know why. My best guess; she could tell she wasn't going to get on well with him.
Things I'm working on:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

HopesUnicorn wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:02 pm This was a beautiful read. I like to think this was a wise man, whoever he was. Very fine... I'm still not sure what my section was about though. I know it was an engagement and it got cut off but I don't know why. My best guess; she could tell she wasn't going to get on well with him.
Omigosh, do I like listening to you read! Crystal clear pronunciation and I suspect your vocabulary is off-the-charts! You have such a good voice and I am sure that LV listeners will want to hear from you. I know I do!

I cannot quite pass your recording for the following reasons ...

Failed checker:

Variable bit rate at ~147 kbps, but needs to be constant bit rate at 128 kbps
Stereo (needs to be mono) recording

Other PL Notes:

(00:16) should be by "Hubert Bland" [I hear "Herbert Bland"]
(02:47) text says "All the others must needs ..." [I hear "And the ones must needs]
(02:57) text says "... my inevitable blindness" [I think I hear inevitable ?endless?, not sure]
(05:06) should be by "Hubert Bland" [I hear "Herbert Bland"]

Please note: I do think the intro / outro author's name really does need to be fixed. We are doing standard PL and you don't need to be 'word perfect' (though you pretty much are!); that said, I think the fixes requested at 2:47 and 2:57 would improve the listeners understanding.

Keep up the good work, Hope, you are going to be great at this. But please don't overwork because I really would not want to burn you out.
HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

BrianFullen wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:16 pm
HopesUnicorn wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:02 pm This was a beautiful read. I like to think this was a wise man, whoever he was. Very fine... I'm still not sure what my section was about though. I know it was an engagement and it got cut off but I don't know why. My best guess; she could tell she wasn't going to get on well with him.
Omigosh, do I like listening to you read! Crystal clear pronunciation and I suspect your vocabulary is off-the-charts! You have such a good voice and I am sure that LV listeners will want to hear from you. I know I do!

I cannot quite pass your recording for the following reasons ...

Failed checker:

Variable bit rate at ~147 kbps, but needs to be constant bit rate at 128 kbps
Stereo (needs to be mono) recording

Other PL Notes:

(00:16) should be by "Hubert Bland" [I hear "Herbert Bland"]
(02:47) text says "All the others must needs ..." [I hear "And the ones must needs]
(02:57) text says "... my inevitable blindness" [I think I hear inevitable ?endless?, not sure]
(05:06) should be by "Hubert Bland" [I hear "Herbert Bland"]

Please note: I do think the intro / outro author's name really does need to be fixed. We are doing standard PL and you don't need to be 'word perfect' (though you pretty much are!); that said, I think the fixes requested at 2:47 and 2:57 would improve the listeners understanding.

Keep up the good work, Hope, you are going to be great at this. But please don't overwork because I really would not want to burn you out.

Thank you for the kindness. I appreciate it. I think I missed putting this one through Audacity so that's why it failed specs.

I'll try to fix them tomorrow and re-upload.
Things I'm working on: