Some books entering the public domain in the USA in 2023

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
Countee Cullen, Copper Sun
A. A. Milne, Now We Are Six, illustrations by E. H. Shepard
Thornton Wilder, The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Ernest Hemingway, Men Without Women (collection of short stories)
William Faulkner, Mosquitoes
Edith Wharton, Twilight Sleep
Herbert Asbury, The Gangs of New York (the original 1927 publication)
Franklin W. Dixon (pseudonym), The Tower Treasure (the first Hardy Boys book)
Hermann Hesse, Der Steppenwolf (in the original German)
Franz Kafka, Amerika (in the original German)
Marcel Proust, Le Temps retrouvé (the final installment of In Search of Lost Time, in the original French)

I'll see if I can find a few more of interest.

There is an Agatha Christie book entering the public domain this year, but not for LibriVox. (For legal reasons discussed elsewhere.)

Feel free to add to this list, but please don't link to any texts until January 1, 2023.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

And here is something I didn't know about. Is this accurate? (I found it on wikipedia.)

"In 2004 copyright in Australia changed from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, in line with the United States and the European Union. But the change was not made retroactive (unlike the 1995 change in the European Union which bought some e.g. British authors back into copyright, especially those who died from 1925 to 1944). Hence the work of an author who died before 1955 is normally in the public domain in Australia; but the copyright of authors was extended to 70 years after death for those who died in 1955 or later, and no more Australian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2026 (those who died in 1955).

"Similarly, Canada amended its Copyright Act in 2022 from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, coming into force on December 30, 2022, but does not revive expired copyright. No more new Canadian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2043 (those who died in 1972)."
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

To The Lighthouse would make good DR. It could use 3 different narrators for the 3 parts as they are told from 3 rather different points of view.

Virginia Woolf is PD everywhere outside the US.
Last edited by alanmapstone on December 28th, 2022, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All remember - no projects posted till January 1 :D Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:55 pm All remember - no projects posted till January 1 :D Anne
Exactly. I should have reminded everyone!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: December 28th, 2022, 2:49 pm And here is something I didn't know about. Is this accurate? (I found it on wikipedia.)

"In 2004 copyright in Australia changed from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, in line with the United States and the European Union. But the change was not made retroactive (unlike the 1995 change in the European Union which bought some e.g. British authors back into copyright, especially those who died from 1925 to 1944). Hence the work of an author who died before 1955 is normally in the public domain in Australia; but the copyright of authors was extended to 70 years after death for those who died in 1955 or later, and no more Australian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2026 (those who died in 1955).

"Similarly, Canada amended its Copyright Act in 2022 from a "plus 50" law to a "plus 70" law, coming into force on December 30, 2022, but does not revive expired copyright. No more new Canadian authors will come out of copyright until 1 January 2043 (those who died in 1972)."
Yep. If you look at newer projects, the red "maybe not PD outside the US" message reflects the new Canada copyright restrictions. Basically, Canada copyrights freeze for the next 20 years - no Tolkien in 2024 for me! :cry:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: December 28th, 2022, 3:01 pm Basically, Canada copyrights freeze for the next 20 years - no Tolkien in 2024 for me! :cry:
Cross the border!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Judging by the TV footage we are getting - don't cross the border, stay inside :D
Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

annise wrote: December 28th, 2022, 4:39 pm Judging by the TV footage we are getting - don't cross the border, stay inside :D
:lol:

Today it got up to about 4 C, so whatever snow we had has mostly melted. We didn't get hammered like Buffalo did. I think they STILL have driving bans! (Most roads are only plowed to 1 lane, for emergency vehicles.) It's crazy over there!

Tomorrow and Friday we're supposed to get a lot of rain. I think Buffalo is supposed to have above freezing temps, too, so they're in danger of flooding.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Now if all that snow would melt into the Colorado river it would almost seem worthwhile :D
Meanwhile.... my daughter left a day early as it's a 5 hour drive home and they were forecasting 40C and she has 2 dogs in the back of the car.....

Anne
(I do realise geographically that is impossible :D )
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My last off-topic post:

All the runoff will go down Niagara Falls - or through the electric plant there. 8-)

Here's an "eww" for you:
https://www.insauga.com/on-christmas-day-niagara-falls-turned-chocolate-brown/
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

It's actually the first three hardy boys books that were published in 1927. I have plans for all three of these for pgdp. When I get scan sets posted to archive.org I'll post the links in this forum. I have now we are six cleared and ready to start at pgdp. The case-book of Sherlock Holmes should post to pg from the fadedpage version. Master mind of Mars should also post from the fadedpage version shortly.

Greg
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I believe some more P.G. Wodehouse will become available.
Show these hidden projects some love this weekend!
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Pascal
DPL 58 17 51
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

InTheDesert wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:09 am I believe some more P.G. Wodehouse will become available.
I think just the stand alone novel The Small Bachelor, but I could be wrong.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

KevinS wrote: December 30th, 2022, 12:22 am I think just the stand alone novel The Small Bachelor, but I could be wrong.
Also Meet Mr Mulliner I think.
Show these hidden projects some love this weekend!
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Pascal
DPL 58 17 51