[NOT LV] Volunteers for Podcast Readings

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
paperpilgrims

Post by paperpilgrims »

Hello everyone!

I run a podcast called Paper Pilgrims where we cover literature from around the world. Each episode features dramatic readings and we are looking for new readers with a strong interest in classic literature. So far we have covered post-war Japanese literature, 19th century Russian literature, and ancient Greek literature. Next up we will be doing classic detective fiction.

You can listen to us on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/show/41KIM3qpUjBVjBqvhTw8yl?si=0qwYJm5WSTyzmzT2aUjTeA&nd=1, or find us on your podcast app of choice.

Please get in touch and let me know if you're interested!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I don't think that I am the right person to do this. But it might help to get someone if you said if the Spotify standards, such as volume, format etc are the same as LibriVox standards.
I use Linux. I also like penguins.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Couls you tell us a bit more about spotify and their copyright standards and I see they have cookies and ads - do you know where that money goes?

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I see you're on Patreon too. :thumbs:
Any plans on paying your narrators once you reach more supporters?

Also, do you have permission of the copyright holders to read those books?
I love that you started Mishima, but he died in 1970 and is definitely not public domain in Japan (death + 70 years, currently).

Just curious. While I think what you're doing is absolutely worthwhile, I wouldn't want to break any laws here...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
paperpilgrims

Post by paperpilgrims »

Thanks for the replies! So I guess I should explain a little of how it works. We host our podcast on a hosting server and from there we get an RSS feed. This RSS feed is then listed on a number of podcasting directories (e.g., Spotify, Apple Podcasts, etc.). We are not directly associated with Spotify or any of the other major directories in any way. There are no specified recording standards, only whatever we choose to do to make the podcast sound how we want it to sound.

As for copyright, we are quite aware of these issues and consequently mostly use public domain readings. Mishima I believe was one of two exceptions. In that case we did contact the estate that has the rights to his translation and paid for the rights to use it on the podcast. The details are in the show notes for that episode. We also received permission to use a translation of one of Oe Kenzaburo's novels. Using copyrighted texts is something we'd like to do more of as we get the funds to pay for it.

And yes! We would certainly like to pay our readers as our Patreon grows. For anyone who's going to work with us long term I would like to hammer out the payment details from the start just to make sure everything is above board and agreed upon beforehand (e.g., we'll pay you X amount when we receive X amount from Patreon).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks, good explanation. I was just concerned when I noticed that some of them seemed still under copyright.

Anne
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

(Here comes an absent minded man...)

What!? Ooe-sensei is alive!! :evil:

! :oops:

Well,
I recommend `Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids`, Ooe-sensei's first novel. I read the novel when I was eighteen. (Yes, it was Japanese version. Don't ask.) I had been taken away into the story night by night. This novel doesn't have any Frontier's writing style; this novel has only what God gifted to Ooe-sensei: lyricism and great storytelling. (Of course his first son is the best gift of all.) Don't be deceived by his Frontier style. This novel is an acorn and root of big Ooe trees. This novel shows his true colors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nip_the_Buds,_Shoot_the_Kids
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
Carmelea

Post by Carmelea »

A detective reading sounds like it would be interesting to do. If you need a female character voice, I’m curious to know more.
“The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” ~ Eden Phillpotts
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Is this paper pilgrims thing still running? When I followed the link, it looked like maybe it stopped last January. But if it's still going, I like participating in dramatic readings.
Ted Perkins - Longtime Librivox listener, reading volunteer since early 2022