[Complete] Wonder Stories of Travel by E. E. Brown et al. - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Wonder Stories of Travel, by E. E. Brown et al..

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/wonder-stories-of-travel-by-various/
A curiously interesting collection of folkloric tales and firsthand accounts written by global travelers for 19th century periodicals; compiled and edited by Emma Elizabeth (E. E.) Brown. Authors include Eliot McCormick (the father of prolific author Theodora McCormick Du Bois), Ernest Ingersoll, E. E. Brown, David Ker and others. (Summary by Brian Fullen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52268

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

If you are recording section 1 say:
"Section 1 of Wonder Stories of Travel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Wonder Stories of Travel, by Eliot McCormick, Ernest Ingersoll, E. E. Brown and David Ker. A BOY’S RACE WITH GENERAL GRANT AT EPHESUS".
If you are recording section 2 through 29 say:
"Section # of Wonder Stories of Travel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Wonder Stories of Travel, by various authors. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Wonder Stories of Travel, by Eliot McCormick, Ernest Ingersoll, E. E. Brown and David Ker"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wonderstoriesoftravel_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wonderstoriesoftravel_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on March 3rd, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

An ideal collaborative project for "newbie" LibriVox volunteer narrators as this book contains a large number of very short sections.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

Hi BrianFullen, I'm new! When this opens I'll take Tiny Feet of Chinese Ladies.
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

VOgalUS wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi BrianFullen, I'm new! When this opens I'll take Tiny Feet of Chinese Ladies.
Well, OK then! When there's an MC and MW I'll assign that section to you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've started to set this up but have to run now. I have a couple comments about the intro and other things, so go ahead and start filling in the MW, but please no one start recording just yet. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

VOgalUS wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:46 am Hi BrianFullen, I'm new! When this opens I'll take Tiny Feet of Chinese Ladies.
Please do not start recording just yet. We're on hold until the MC clarifies intro and possibly some other aspects for us. If you want me to do so I will send you a PM when it is OK to proceed. Of course if you subscribe to this topic you would probably know when I do that it's OK to record. If you have any questions please reply with them. Thanks.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:07 pm I've started to set this up but have to run now. I have a couple comments about the intro and other things, so go ahead and start filling in the MW, but please no one start recording just yet. :)
Seems fair to me! I have a question about "CHEERFUL WORDS" - https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/52268/pg52268-images.html#CHEERFUL_WORDSB - and the paragraphs that follow it. It seems to me that those are all promotional advertisements by the same publisher (or others "in consideration') for other publications. I did not include those 'cheerful words' in the paragraph count for MW because I didn't know if it made sense to record these promos. Thanks! :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

BrianFullen wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:48 pm
TriciaG wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:07 pm I've started to set this up but have to run now. I have a couple comments about the intro and other things, so go ahead and start filling in the MW, but please no one start recording just yet. :)
Seems fair to me! I have a question about "CHEERFUL WORDS" - https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/52268/pg52268-images.html#CHEERFUL_WORDSB - and the paragraphs that follow it. It seems to me that those are all promotional advertisements by the same publisher (or others "in consideration') for other publications. I did not include those 'cheerful words' in the paragraph count for MW because I didn't know if it made sense to record these promos. Thanks! :)
Yes, I think you can leave that out, along with the rest of the advertisements at the end of the book. (Unless you want them recorded, of course!)

Okay, so as I was saying: it looks like the sections aren't credited to specific authors; they're just kinda lumped together on the title page. (It's kinda funny: "and others" - thanks for that!) :lol: So...

(1) It's not a "compilation" such that we're crediting each section to its author, searchable in the catalog. So in this case, that "is this a compilation" question on the form would have been "no". ;) No worries; I unchecked the box. (Technically, it wouldn't be a compilation anyway, because they aren't different text sources.)

(2) The intros. Since we don't know who wrote what, I'm wondering if we should name all the named authors in the first intro and in the last, end-of- book outro, and for the middle intros just say "Wonder Stories of Travel by various authors." What do you think?

EDIT: Oh, and I've changed the genre from Biography to Travel. ;)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: December 9th, 2022, 4:01 pm
BrianFullen wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:48 pm
Yes, I think you can leave that out, along with the rest of the advertisements at the end of the book. (Unless you want them recorded, of course!)

Okay, so as I was saying: it looks like the sections aren't credited to specific authors; they're just kinda lumped together on the title page. (It's kinda funny: "and others" - thanks for that!) :lol: So...

(1) It's not a "compilation" such that we're crediting each section to its author, searchable in the catalog. So in this case, that "is this a compilation" question on the form would have been "no". ;) No worries; I unchecked the box. (Technically, it wouldn't be a compilation anyway, because they aren't different text sources.)

(2) The intros. Since we don't know who wrote what, I'm wondering if we should name all the named authors in the first intro and in the last, end-of- book outro, and for the middle intros just say "Wonder Stories of Travel by various authors." What do you think?
I think you know a lot more about producing audio books for LibriVox than I do! I might be teachable (we'll see). I like the idea of crediting all authors in intros and last section outro - I'll fix the first post for that. I'm pretty sure the bits that mention a Quaker upbringing are E. E. Brown, but not so sure that I would attest to it. Thanks. :)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Tricia,

I hope I got it right in line with your suggestion on intros / outros. Please let me know if I did not.

Cheers,
Brian
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, that's it. :)

And with that, I think we're all set. I'll move us to Readers Wanted!
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

I would like to claim 1 and 2 please :D
Marie Christian
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

May I claim sections 10 and 12?

Thanks,
Stacey
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

mariechristian wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:22 pm I would like to claim 1 and 2 please :D
Please, allow me to honor your claim and happily so! :D
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

BrianFullen wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:49 pm
mariechristian wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:22 pm I would like to claim 1 and 2 please :D
Please, allow me to honor your claim and happily so! :D
:clap:
Marie Christian