COMPLETE The Vision of Piers the Plowman by William Langland, translated by Kate M. Warren-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

The Vision of Piers the Plowman, by William Langland ( c.1332 - c.1386), translated by Kate M. Warren

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/piers-the-plowman-by-william-langland-warren/
William Langland’s Vision of Piers the Plowman is one of the Early English poems that may well appeal to many other readers than the professed student of literature. It will ever be attractive to those who care for a vivid account of certain phases of life in England at one of the important periods of her social history ; but, beyond this, Langland's work touches some of the keenest interests of our own day. In its picture of the life of the labourer, and its protest against the oppression of the poor by the rich and powerful, it connects itself with that impelling desire for social reform which, in many and various ways, is now striving to express itself, not only in England, but all over Europe. Again, the plain moral purpose of the poem ---to uphold the value of the good life, and the evil of its opposite -- links it somewhat to the modem interest in ethics, while the realistic treatment of certain portions of its subject matter may commend it to the prevailing taste of the day in literature. Moreover, the deep humanity and living earnestness of Langland's work cannot fail to be felt by every reader." (from the Introduction by Kate M. Warren)

Ms. Warren translates the poem's Prologue and first Vision from Middle English into modern English prose, while retaining the original's freshness, vigor, and alliterative charm.
(Summary by Patrick Randall)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/LanglandSVision1899/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2023-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Poetry/Narratives; Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: middle ages; middle english; christian allegory; medieval poetry

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Vision of Piers the Plowman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Vision of Piers the Plowman, by William Langland, translated by Kate M. Warren. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Vision of Piers the Plowman, by William Langland, translated by Kate M. Warren. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Vision of Piers the Plowman, by William Langland, translated by Kate M. Warren."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pierstheplowman_##_langland_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. pierstheplowman_01_langland_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by patrickrandall on December 11th, 2022, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

It seems this project may be a first recording of this famous poem! -- I didn't find another version when I searched the catalogue. The alliterative prose translation is lovely:
"In a summer season when the sun was warm, I clad me in clothing as a shepherd... I think this will be fun to read.

One note: When I searched the translator's name on the new project template, it came up with first and last names reversed (i.e. Warren Kate M.) so I selected what was available in hopes it could be corrected later, hope that's ok!

Thanks,
Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Are you looking for a DPL? I'd love to volunteer, if so!
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

mightyfelix wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:30 pm Are you looking for a DPL? I'd love to volunteer, if so!
Oh yes, that would be marvelous, thanks! :D

Cheers,
Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Looking forward to it!

If no one has set this up by tomorrow morning, I will be glad to MC for you as well.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

mightyfelix wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:18 pm Looking forward to it!

If no one has set this up by tomorrow morning, I will be glad to MC for you as well.
Thanks a million!

Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you should be all set. Let me know if you have any trouble getting your MW filled in, and once that's ready, we can move to Going Solo.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

mightyfelix wrote: December 10th, 2022, 10:59 am Ok, you should be all set. Let me know if you have any trouble getting your MW filled in, and once that's ready, we can move to Going Solo.
Thanks again for taking this on! I'll have the MW filled out by later this evening!

Cheers,
Patrick
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Magic Window is complete! :D Based on word count, I divided the Introduction and Passus V into two parts each -- not ideal, but they would be very long otherwise and I tried to find natural points for the division. I'll probably skip most of the (very interesting) footnotes for the sake of the narrative, but I plan to read the English translations in the footnotes directly after the Latin in the text since it flows naturally and I think listeners will find it helpful.

I'm also working on two assignments for a group project, so I probably won't have an upload for this project for several days yet -- I hope that'll be OK. I'm looking forward to getting started on this!

Thanks so much for your help, I'll be grateful for any comments, advice, suggestions!

Cheers,
Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Perfect! I'm in no rush. You are free to go at your own pace.

Moving to Going Solo.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Just checking in -- Having finished the first of my two group assignments, I'm earnestly prepping the initial section for this project, and will be uploading shortly! Many thanks and greetings for a very happy New Year!

Cheers,
Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good! I'll be here.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Hi, Section 00 Preface has been uploaded :D , thanks!

Cheers,
Patrick
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! I should be able to listen tomorrow.

By the way, don't forget to change the status of the section to Ready for PL. It makes it easier for me to see and also shows up on my section details page, so I'm less likely to let it drop off my radar. :wink:
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

mightyfelix wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:44 pm Great! I should be able to listen tomorrow.

By the way, don't forget to change the status of the section to Ready for PL. It makes it easier for me to see and also shows up on my section details page, so I'm less likely to let it drop off my radar. :wink:
Oops, I completely forgot to change it! :oops: Sorry, I'll remember next time, thanks!

Cheers,
Patrick