ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I could read MacDonald for you.

Thanks, Todd
Irenerubio74

Post by Irenerubio74 »

Hi there,

Is there anybody here who is an expert in audacity? I have already recorded section 9 of this project, however, my sound waves appeared as a straight line and I cant edit now. I also tried to record something and it wont record, I dont see my voice waves. I must have clicked something as I was already editing my track, now I can't edit.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Irenerubio74 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 11:44 am Hi there,

Is there anybody here who is an expert in audacity? I have already recorded section 9 of this project, however, my sound waves appeared as a straight line and I cant edit now. I also tried to record something and it wont record, I dont see my voice waves. I must have clicked something as I was already editing my track, now I can't edit.
I'm sure many folks know more than me, but I'll help if I can. You can also post to the Help forum, where more folks are likely to see it.

If your sound waves showed up as a straight line all along, then I'm afraid there's not much we can do - Audacity may have switched to recording sound from a different (even a non-existent) microphone this session, in which case it didn't catch any sound to work with. Mine has done this a few times, usually either after an update, or when something else on my computer changed.

If it wasn't always just a flat line, and you haven't yet closed out of Audacity, then we may be in luck. I'm not sure what you mean by "can't edit", but hopefully the "Edit" menu is still usable, in which case you can use "Undo" to get back to the last point where your audio was not silent.

If the "Edit" menu is not usable, but the "File" menu is, then I'd recommend using the "Save as..." option to save the file under a different name, then see if you can open it in a new window.
Do you know whether there's an earlier version of the file saved - while it was part-way through, or perhaps just before you started on editing? I get the impression that saving often is habit quite a few here have picked up, over time.
Irenerubio74

Post by Irenerubio74 »

I can't edit because since the waves changed to a straight line, it scrolls very very fast while I listen to my voice. My voice is the same but I have to edit the noises, the mouth clicks, etc. I will do my best to get it back. I tried not to save it but when I open it, it is still a straight line. Thank you though.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Good news, then! I think it's likely that you're zoomed in much farther than usual, and everything should look right again once you're zoomed back out.
Different versions have the magnifying glass "zoom in/out" buttons on different places, but I like to scroll instead - hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, then point at the audio and scroll your mouse wheel down. Scrolling up zooms back in, if you go too far.
loon

Post by loon »

redrun wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:04 pm Good news, then! I think it's likely that you're zoomed in much farther than usual, and everything should look right again once you're zoomed back out.
Different versions have the magnifying glass "zoom in/out" buttons on different places, but I like to scroll instead - hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, then point at the audio and scroll your mouse wheel down. Scrolling up zooms back in, if you go too far.
Also, [Ctrl] and the 2 key (above Q and W; I've never tried 2 on the number pad) gets you to a 'standard' time scale. I use this a lot - I can eyeball an edit and have a fairly good idea about how long the space between two words will be.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

ToddHW wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:58 am I could read MacDonald for you.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks for helping us finish, Todd! We’re now full! :clap:
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 7 (Letter 6 for Laura) is PL ok.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 8 (Letter 7 for Laura) is PL ok.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 9 (Letter 8 for Laura) just one note:
0:58 should be "The Postilions had at first received orders"; I heard "The Positions had at first received orders".

I believe Postilion is pronounced "Po (long o) still yen.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=postilion+pronunciation
Hope this helps.
Irenerubio74

Post by Irenerubio74 »