[Complete][Poetry]Canadian Battlefields and Other Poems, by J R Wilkinson-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: August 26th, 2022, 6:33 pmThe fixed files have now been uploaded...
thanks Lynda, excellent patches :thumbs:
32 and 36 now PL ok

for 39, at 8:19: "With muttered imprecations" - I still hear "impresations" instead of "imprecations". It is a hard 'k' sound, like in "catering". Might be optional, but I think the meaning is clearer that way. I let you decide.

Something else: sections 13 and 14 have the exact same length in the MW...I think 13 should be much shorter. Could you check that ? Maybe you wrote the wrong length my mistake into the wrong slot.

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Kitty wrote: August 27th, 2022, 1:56 am
Lmnei wrote: August 26th, 2022, 6:33 pmThe fixed files have now been uploaded...
thanks Lynda, excellent patches :thumbs:
32 and 36 now PL ok

for 39, at 8:19: "With muttered imprecations" - I still hear "impresations" instead of "imprecations". It is a hard 'k' sound, like in "catering". Might be optional, but I think the meaning is clearer that way. I let you decide.

Something else: sections 13 and 14 have the exact same length in the MW...I think 13 should be much shorter. Could you check that ? Maybe you wrote the wrong length my mistake into the wrong slot.

Sonia
Okay - I think I got it this time! Section 39 has been uploaded!

I also somehow got the wrong lengths for Sections 13 and 14 - you are right - I will update those when I am inserting my new recordings...

With regards to my mic - I think I figure out what is going on. It is a Bluetooth mic instead of a USB one and I had some USER errors in thinking that I had the mic set for recording and instead I was recording using my laptop speakers - thus the tapping noises when I moved my hands due to my medical bracelet hitting my laptop. I THINK now I have figured out how to check that I am recording using my BT mic and not my laptop speakers (no matter what Audacity is telling me).

You will notice in the next recordings Section 41 has the clicks in it and then I figured it out and the balance of the recordings do not.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Sonia -

Sections 41 - 46 are now in the MW - note Section 42 is fairly long for a poem...

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: August 29th, 2022, 8:27 pmI THINK now I have figured out how to check that I am recording using my BT mic and not my laptop speakers (no matter what Audacity is telling me).
strange, usually Audacity should mention what mic is used. Well I don't know about bluetooth, never used those.

excellent recordings again and with that huge poem you did a flawless job :thumbs: I actually loved that poem, so romantic, the story of his life. :9:

All poems PL ok except two:

Section 44:
> at 1:59: missed line: "O’er the face of the world so wide"

Section 46:
> at 1:00: stumble and repeat: "to scenes" - one version can get cut

thanks

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks for the PL Sonia!

Sections 44 and 46 are now updated!

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: August 30th, 2022, 2:30 pmSections 44 and 46 are now updated!
and both PL ok now, thank you, Lynda

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Sonia -

Sections 47-54 are ready to PL now!

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah you were busy again, beautiful melancholy poems, some of them, loved them. :9:

Only one note for Section 52:

> Tender and void of guile – I think I hear "gall", it should rhyme on "smile" two lines further down

the other 7 poems are PL ok

thanks

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Sonia!

Well my eye surgery was successful and I have gotten most of my sign back in my right eye so I could proof all my recordings I did before my surgery set me back (I wish the surgeon had been honest about not being able to read for 2 weeks!) so here they are!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_055_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 5:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_056_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 5:05
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_057_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 2.01
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_058_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 4:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_059_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 7:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/cdnbattlepoems_060_wilkinson_128kb.mp3 - 10:24

Happy listening!

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:25 pmWell my eye surgery was successful and I have gotten most of my sign back in my right eye
:? this sounds like a very daunting operation. Glad all went well and you are back in the saddle.

I inserted the links and length into the MW for you, you probably cannot handle the input of the window yet ? :hmm: Take it easy until you are fully recovered.

A very grand poem, it's wise you chopped it up into several smaller bits. :lol:

Sections 55, 57 and 58 are PL ok, right away.

Section 56:
> at 2:24: "and lamentations rose from city, hill and plain" – you say "laminations"

Section 59:
> at 4:31: "and tender women sorrowfully are bowed" – you say "softly"

> at 5:30: "As with a courtly wave that kings might imitate" – you say "imate"

Section 60:
> at 0:02: "The flight of time" – here you say "six" in the title, in the other sections you left out the numbers in the first part of the disclaimer. Maybe either cut it here as well, or insert the numbers everywhere, to stay consistent

> at 0:18: "Chapter 6: the gladiators" – you forgot the title right after the disclaimer

> at 2:19: "and the deadly cestus" – you say "ceatus"

> at 3:49: "by the deadly cestus" – same here

> at 6:36: "Still those dreadful swords in fierce fiery circles scream!" – you say "feary"

> at 7:46: "and a look of regret" – stumble and repeat, one part can get cut

> at 9:36: "ah 'twas a battle royal" – you say "twice"

thanks

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks Sonia for the PL!

I am VERY SORRY about posting the recordings to the forum and not putting them in the MW - I have no idea what I was thinking of! I had just handed in some recordings for another book where I am not the BC so I had to paste them into the post and totally forgot this is MY book and I DO have access to the MW!

Just another silly brain miss on my behalf. Thanks so much for posting them in the MW for me!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Sonia!

Sections 52, 56, 59 and 60 are updated and in the MW now :)

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: November 17th, 2022, 1:07 pmSections 52, 56, 59 and 60 are updated and in the MW now :)
and all are PL ok. I am so sorry, I just noticed I omitted the time stamp for the correction in 52 :shock: :? sorry I made it hard on you to find back the line. I don't know how I could have forgotten that one.

Thanks

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Sonia!

I did a BUNCH of recording this weekend! Right now Sections 73 - 83 are ready for PL. The section that is missing above that is recorded but will take me longer to PL so iti will come next!

Thanks for DPL'ing for me!

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:35 pmI did a BUNCH of recording this weekend! Right now Sections 73 - 83 are ready for PL.
I see you have been busy during the off-time :thumbs: beautiful poems, I especially loved the Sea. :9:

All PL ok, except a small note for Section 80:

> at 1:10: "As a child of nature I revelled" – I hear "rebelled", isn't this word to be stressed on the first syllable :hmm:

thanks

Sonia