ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks for the great explanation. I have a question though - I had a spot where I needed to correct a word that I mispronounced. I placed my cursor at the starting point of my selection and did the SHIFT+R - it opened a new track and started recording - however it ALSO started playing the original track, right from where I had placed the cursor. So although I was able to record the correct word and cut and paste it into my original track, it was difficult to record while listening to my mistake. I’m not sure what I did wrong. I suppose I could just remove my earbuds when recording the corrected phrase, but something tells me it’s not supposed to happen that way. Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong?
Go to Edit > preferences > Recording and uncheck the box that says to play other tracks while recording. Easy Peasy
Also close the new track after you copy from it so it won't play along with your original.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

philchenevert wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:40 pm Go to Edit > preferences > Recording and uncheck the box that says to play other tracks while recording. Easy Peasy
Also close the new track after you copy from it so it won't play along with your original.
Yep, that's it. And once you save a parameter in Audacity, it stays set 5that way for any file you open.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PhyllisV wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:33 pm Thanks for the great explanation. I have a question though - I had a spot where I needed to correct a word that I mispronounced. I placed my cursor at the starting point of my selection and did the SHIFT+R - it opened a new track and started recording - however it ALSO started playing the original track, right from where I had placed the cursor. So although I was able to record the correct word and cut and paste it into my original track, it was difficult to record while listening to my mistake. I’m not sure what I did wrong. I suppose I could just remove my earbuds when recording the corrected phrase, but something tells me it’s not supposed to happen that way. Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong?
There is a setting in preferences that mentions quieting other tracks while recording. Maybe it mentions overdubbing.
At this moment, I'm tuning a harpsichord due to be played in a 7pm concert so I can't take the time right now to go home and find the setting. But, I'm sure that if you look you'll find it.
Best of luck, PhyllisV!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Easy Peasy indeed! Thanks so much. 🙏 :clap:
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

SowasVon wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:42 pm If anyone is interested in using the de-clicker and de-esser plugins mentioned in the chat today, here's some more info:

The De-Clicker removes mouth clicks and most likely also mouse clicks :D
The De-Esser dampens sharp, hissy "s" and "sh" sounds

Both can be downloaded at the bottom of the first post in this thread:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=79278

Since they are Nyquist plugins (please don't ask me what that is, I don't actually know), you need to do the following to install them:

"1. Download the plugin in question.
2. Open Audacity, and go to Tools > Nyquist Plugin Installer
3. Click Browse and locate your downloaded plugin
4. Click Open and then OK and OK again.
5. Restart Audacity
6. The plugin should now be available in the plugins list."
Source: https://support.audacityteam.org/basics/installing-plugins

If these two effects don't show in the effects menu, you may have to enable them in the plugin manager:
1. Click Effects > Plugin Manager
2. Scroll through the list till you find the De-Esser or De-Clicker.
3. Select it.
4. Click Enable.

To use them, highlight a section containing the offending click/hiss - from my experience, it works best to select more than just the sound you want gone so the plugin has some kind of baseline of what is "normal" so it can recognize what to remove.
But with the de-clicker, make sure not to include "t", "p", "k" and possibly "b" sounds, because otherwise, they'll be "de-clicked" as well - it'll often make them too soft.
With the de-esser, I'm not sure whether you can actually even select the whole track to catch all the sharp s/sh sounds in one go. I read warnings about de-essing possibly making normal, non-hissy "s" sounds lispy, but it didn't always do that for mine. "Versuch macht kluch" (Trying it out makes you smart), as we say here - feel free to try it, just no guarantees from me.
THANK you. I just used the De-Clicker on three phrases I was going to have to re-record, and now I don't have to! (Well, one still has a bit of horn sound from...probably a car, given the pitch, so I might have to do that one, but we will see.)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

stepheather wrote: November 10th, 2022, 6:22 am THANK you. I just used the De-Clicker on three phrases I was going to have to re-record, and now I don't have to! (Well, one still has a bit of horn sound from...probably a car, given the pitch, so I might have to do that one, but we will see.)
Wheeeee! :thumbs:
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

De-Clicker

I just used de-clicker (original settings) on an entire file at once then compared it to the original, and it didn't seem to change the quality at all, yet most of the clicks disappeared, even those pesky clicks within words. I had to do a few by hand. I set D as my keystroke.

To summarize, after downloading the app to my Audacity Plug-In's Folder, then Enabling it in Audacity at Effects/Add-Remove Plugins, I set my keystroke to D (Edit/Preferences/Effects/Keyboard/DeClick/D/Set). Select the whole file/D/OK. For individual click removal, select a short segment/D/OK and in most cases the click is GONE! :shock: I am not sure you can Repeat this effect like you can with other Effects.

Whee! :D

Now I'm looking for something to de-ess.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

See, and now I'm going to have to dig into the keyboard shortcuts, because choosing the high-pass filter for the plosives I hear in my reading is annoying...
Thanks for that menu guidance, msfry!
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Was this month’s Zoom session (Nov. 7) recorded?
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 10th, 2022, 8:54 pm Was this month’s Zoom session (Nov. 7) recorded?
Mary, you took the words right out of my mouth!
I am curious not only about this month's session but earlier ones, too.

How do we access those zoom videos??
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: November 10th, 2022, 8:54 pm Was this month’s Zoom session (Nov. 7) recorded?
Yes, and I'm still trying to edit the others and decide where to upload them all to. I've been distracted with other things lately.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 11th, 2022, 9:07 am
Yes, and I'm still trying to edit the others and decide where to upload them all to. I've been distracted with other things lately.
This morning at 3am while considering whether to blast one of our smoke detectors with a shot gun, I checked out the new YouTube video editor. The last time I looked at it was in late 2019. 'Twas awful. But today, I found it to be a wonderful tool!

Here is a link to a good explanatory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Nbz2ScFv8

With the zoom in/out slider, it's easy to make precise slices and cuts.

For those who want only to trim bits and pieces from a Zoom video recording, it's quick and easy.

I've tried it with one of my old videos and it works like a charm.
Check out this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzXw6c6JaPk
My daughter-in-law doing the vocals against me on piano.
Didn't turn out bad at all!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks Bill. Yes, they have improved it a lot. So fix up those wanky videos if you wish. I do.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
pamlflaherty

Post by pamlflaherty »

Is there an upcoming Zoom meeting?-In December? I'm subscribed on the wrench but nothing seems to pop up for me? Thanks Pam
msfry

Post by msfry »

December's 1st Monday's Zoom meeting is scheduled. Please spread the word and invite a friend. Hope to see you there.

Topic: Staff Picks, Libriversaries, Metadata and other TidBits.
Time: Dec 5, 2022 11:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada) EDIT: Changed to December 12th due to planned Librivox Maintenance shutdown on Dec 5.
Host: Michele fry

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84452418640?pwd=SEhCb1lhWStjejhYSXhYL1VTRHMzQT09

Meeting ID: 844 5241 8640
Passcode: 477722
Last edited by msfry on December 3rd, 2022, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.