[COMPLETE] Diaries Volume I by John Evelyn - Availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ogus

Post by ogus »

The Diaries of John Evelyn Volume I, by John Evelyn (1620 - 1706)

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-diaries-of-john-evelyn-volume-i-by-john-evelyn/

John Evelyn was a 17th century polymath, with interests in the fine arts, architecture, gardening, as well as anatomy and the natural sciences. He was a fervent supporter of the Stuart monarchy and lived abroad during much of the English Civil War. His Diaries, which rank alongside those of Samuel Pepys for perceptive commentary on the times in which he lived, span his adult years. (Summary by Anthony Ogus)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41218

Target completion date: 2023-01-13

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
=======================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction
Keywords that describe the book: diaries english history english civil war courtly life
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Diaries of John Evelyn Volume I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Diaries of John Evelyn Volume I, by John Evelyn . Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Diaries of John Evelyn Volume I, by John Evelyn . This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Diaries of John Evelyn Volume I, by John Evelyn ."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: diariesvol1_##_evelyn_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. diariesvol1_01_evelyn_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

that sounds interesting - I'll MC this for you.

Later: All set up and looks good. :thumbs:
Just as a reminder as there seem to be no chapter breaks in this book: We cannot have sections longer than 84 minutes (so that the .mp3 fits on a cd) and most listeners prefer sections around 30 minutes. :wink:

We'll stay here for a bit and hopefully, attract us a DPL.

Have fun!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ogus

Post by ogus »

Thanks so much, Availle, for agreeing to look after me and the project. Much look forward to working with you (and the DPL when we have one).

The 30 sectioning is pure guesswork and there may be more. I shall keep each down to a maximum of 30 minutes.

Hope to get started recording next week. This weekend we are celebrating my wife's 70th.

Anthony
ogus

Post by ogus »

First section posted.

No DPL yet; hopefully can acquire someone soon.

Anthony
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

To speed things up (hopefully), you could fill out our Proof Listening Template:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

and post it over in our special "Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted" Forum:
viewforum.php?f=61

In any case, I'll move us to "Going Solo".
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Hi! i was wondering if you still needed a DPl?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

I see you have just asked the same question in 7 other projects. :shock:
While I do appreciate your enthusiasm, maybe it's best not to overdo things, seeing that you're brand new?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Availle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 5:13 pm Hi there and welcome!

While I do appreciate your enthusiasm, maybe it's best not to overdo things, seeing that you're brand new?
I can assure you that I'm not overdoing things, I have loads of free time that I'd like to fill up by doing something.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TheKidney wrote: October 9th, 2022, 12:05 pm
Availle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 5:13 pm Hi there and welcome!

I can assure you that I'm not overdoing things, I have loads of free time that I'd like to fill up by doing something.
I am waiting for you to PL Chapter 1 over at The Charwoman's Shadow. When can I expect you?
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Well I just listened to the first section here and everything was good except for in the very start the intro was said wrong it missed the " For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
ogus

Post by ogus »

Thanks for this. I've been away abroad and under some pressure at home, so it will take a week or so before I make further progress on this project. But your comment noted on the prelim to section 1. Will amend.

Anthony
ogus

Post by ogus »

Back in harness !

Section 1 amended.

At work on section 2 which hope to upload next week.

A
ogus

Post by ogus »

Section 2 uploaded

A
TheKidney

Post by TheKidney »

Section one is good but it seems like the link that was put in isn't working for me.
ogus

Post by ogus »

Section 3 posted.

The link that is not working for you: is that for section 1 or section 2?

A