[OPEN] Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand, trans. by Brian Hooker-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Okay—I’ve read it!
Am I correct in thinking I could claim the following without overlapping in the acts/sections?
A Guardsman
A Noble
A Woman
Second Cadet

If so, that would get four bit parts done. 🙂

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

stepheather wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:57 am Okay—I’ve read it!
Am I correct in thinking I could claim the following without overlapping in the acts/sections?
A Guardsman
A Noble
A Woman
Second Cadet

If so, that would get four bit parts done. 🙂

Thanks,
Stephanie
Sorry for the long delay in replying -- I've been on vacation and haven't been checking this thread.

Yes, that would work very well! The parts are yours.

The Second Cadet is in both Act 2 and Act 4, and when you read for Act 4, feel free to pick up any lines for any cadets that aren't specifically identified by number, and I'll use as many as I can.

Thanks!
Mike
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

If I may, I'll take 2nd Page, act 1, and 5th Cadet, acts 2 and 4. I'll be the one who speaks through his nose.
:mrgreen:
If I can also take the Apprentice in act 2, I'll do that one in a more natural voice.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

MManolakes wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:44 pm It's been a while since any new readers have signed up for this play, and we still have many open parts, especially in Act 1. Previously, I had asked that readers only sign up for one part per act, but since Act 1 is so lengthy with many available parts to fill, I'm going to modify this rule starting now.

For the purposes of claiming parts only, Act 1 is now divided into three subsections. Act 1a is pages 1-25 (to Cyrano's entrance), Act 1b is pages 26-45 (to the end of the Duel in Verse), and Act 1c is 46-61 (to the end of the act). You may now sign up for more than one part in Act 1 as long as you don't claim more than one part per subsection. In other words, you could claim a role that appears only in 1a, another role that appears only in 1b, and a third role if it only appears in 1c.

This only applies to individual lines. Any "group" lines you read do not have this restriction.

If you've already recorded lines for Act 1 (and I thank you!) check to see which pages your lines were on, and feel free to claim any part from any subsection of Act 1 that your first character didn't appear in.

When submitting files, please still record all the lines for that character for the entire act, and submit a different file for each character that you read. Do not include a, b, or c when you identify the act in the file name.

Here are the remaining Act 1 roles, with the subsections they appear in:

First Cavalier ac
Second Cavalier a
First Lackey a
Second Lackey a
Guardsman a
Man a
Citizen ab
Second Man a
The Boy ab
Second Page a
Third Page a
Spectator a
Voice ab
First Marquis abc
Second Marquis a
Brissaille ac
Ligniere ac
Second Violin a
A Noble b
Bellarose bc
Jodelet bc
A Meddler b
Valvert b
Musketeer c
Second Comedienne c

The parts in boldface are larger parts (10 or more lines each). Remember that all parts are gender-neutral.

Thanks for your help in completing this project. I've been editing the acts as the readings come in, and what we have so far is marvelous! I can't wait to get this done so that all of you can hear what it sounds like!

Mike
Hey, redrun,
I don’t know if you saw this…but you could actually pick up one or two more parts in Act 1 as well! This list doesn’t exactly match what’s available, but it gives the outline of the criteria. 🙂

(And if you’re not interested, that’s fine! Just an FYI.)

Thanks,
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I hadn't seen that, thanks! Would it be workable to put a link to it in the first post?

Definitely interested! I'll add "A Noble" to my request list, and I might come back later to snag a 'c'. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Thanks, redrun! I'll add you to the MW.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

redrun wrote: September 14th, 2022, 8:38 pm I hadn't seen that, thanks! Would it be workable to put a link to it in the first post?

Definitely interested! I'll add "A Noble" to my request list, and I might come back later to snag a 'c'. :wink:
Stepheather claimed "A Noble" already, but hasn't recorded it yet.

Mike
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

MManolakes wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:50 am
redrun wrote: September 14th, 2022, 8:38 pm I hadn't seen that, thanks! Would it be workable to put a link to it in the first post?

Mike
Finally got my new mic and got everything set up…started recording A Guardsman today…and the power went out. For 6 hours. Sigh.

I’m trying to record as many of the crowd lines as possible—is that helpful?
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

MManolakes wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:50 am Stepheather claimed "A Noble" already, but hasn't recorded it yet.
Ah, I should have checked MW. I'll stick with my Page for the moment, and work out B and C a bit later.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

stepheather wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:13 pm
MManolakes wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:50 am

Mike
Finally got my new mic and got everything set up…started recording A Guardsman today…and the power went out. For 6 hours. Sigh.

I’m trying to record as many of the crowd lines as possible—is that helpful?
I've got the crowd noises fairly covered, but I can always add in another voice!

Mike
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

redrun wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:55 pm Ah, I should have checked MW. I'll stick with my Page for the moment, and work out B and C a bit later.
In addition to Second Page (1a), here's requesting Bellarose (1bc).

Also, as Fifth Cadet (acts 2 and 4), there are lots of places where it's unclear which one is speaking - "A CADET" followed by one or more "ANOTHER"s, or just "THE CADETS", with various lines below it.
I can read only what's specified if you prefer, otherwise I figure I'll toss some "alt-takes" for those ambiguous lines in a separate file, in case it's useful to you.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I second redrun's question--how do you want the "another cadet" lines handled? If it's easier to have a second file with all those extra lines recorded, rather than having it in the same one, let me know. I've got them ALL highlighted to record right now so that you could pick and choose which ones you needed from the second cadet, but...could just use some guidance!

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Here's the guardsman, anxiously waiting for his kiss.

Track length: 4:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_guardsman_1.mp3

Note that this one has a lot of the extra crowd lines recorded.

Let me know if there are edits!

I've likewise got the noble, with extra crowd lines, almost ready. I need to see if I can get it finished before my husband returns or the laptop battery dies.

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

And here's a noble, with crowd lines.

Track length: 4:09
The noble's one assigned line is at about 2:16, in case you only want that one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_noble_1.mp3

Please let me know if edits are needed.

And maybe I can sneak a woman's lines in here as well...we'll see!

Thanks,
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

And a (slightly infatuated) woman.

Track length: 4:10
The lines specifically assigned to her are at 3:36 and 3:49. The rest are crowd lines, including some of the women's lines at the end (which might already be covered by the comediennes...).

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_awoman_1.mp3

Anyway, once again--let me know if edits are needed.

I'll probably wait to record the second cadet lines until we hear from you about how to sort out all the nonspecific lines. (It's okay, I've got some PL I need to catch up on for another project, plus a section to edit for the languishing solo...)

Thanks,
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes