ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

First Monday's Zoom Meeting is happening at 11 a.m. CST tomorrow morning, on August 1, 2022.

I posted this to the LV Facebook page and the Announcement Thread:
Host: Michele Fry
Topic: How do you listen to audiobooks, (LV and others), and other podcasts? What equipment do you use? What times do you set aside for listening? If we have extra time, w e can also cover favorite genres, books you look forward to hearing, favorite authors, etc. We'll try to steer away from "favorite LV readers", however.
No need to RSVP, but it would be nice to know if you plan to come. Let us know on the Discussion Thread

Time: Aug 1, 2022 12 noon AM Eastern Time (US and Canada) 11am Central Standard time.

To join the Meeting use this link
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81577859169?pwd=VXFoQXNndENWYlVva21sVFdOTE0wdz09
loon

Post by loon »

I'll try to show up tomorrow.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

me too.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
smike

Post by smike »

I'll be there if I don't forget.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

philchenevert wrote: July 31st, 2022, 9:17 pm me too.
Hey, Phil !
Thanks for this tip. I've been using the Replay Gain effect as the last step in my Home PLing process. But, I'm going to try your Loudness Normalization for a while. It's a couple of steps fewer and just as quick.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

I’ll be there.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I plan to be there, too. Well, I'll actually be here, but you know what I mean.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I'm coming, too - may be gnarly-looking, as it's between two PT sessions. :lol:
~Lynette * - no computer access until Friday or Saturday
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

I hope to come :thumbs:
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Nice Zoom session today.

Here’s some info on my comments today regarding libraries having LibriVox audio books available through music downloads:

Check out your library’s website to see if they offer free music download. Libraries in this area use Freegal. I assume that’s the program most libraries use. Each week I get an e-mail from the local library system offering so many free music downloads. The downloads can be kept by patrons.

https://www.freegalmusic.com/home

If your library offers Freegal, on the library's Freegal page Click on "Advanced Search" It should be to the right of the "Search" bar. When the Advanced Search screen comes up at "Select Type" choose "Audiobooks", then under "Artist" choose "Wordscape" That brings up the LibriVox audiobooks.

From what I can tell, "Wordscape" is connected with Audible.

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

This was a great exampe of how a Librivox Zoom session should be done -- a lot of "sticking to the point" but room for interesting off the path meandering.

Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

My neice and her husband dropped in to visit 10 minutes before the session started. So we had to visit and I missed the zoom session. Drat. :(
smike

Post by smike »

philchenevert wrote: August 1st, 2022, 11:49 am So we had to visit and I missed the zoom session. Drat.
We missed you, Phil. Hopefully next time you'll make it.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

If your library offers Freegal, on the library's Freegal page Click on "Advanced Search" It should be to the right of the "Search" bar. When the Advanced Search screen comes up at "Select Type" choose "Audiobooks", then under "Artist" choose "Wordscape" That brings up the LibriVox audiobooks.

Our library has the Wordscape audiobooks but none by LibriVox. I will probe deeper to see if they are hidden.
EDIT: OK, they are livbrivox books, just with all infomation snipped out about lv and who is reading them. I can understand wanting to hide the fact that they were done by LibriVox, but what would be the harm in crediting the narrator?
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

philchenevert wrote: August 1st, 2022, 3:01 pm

Our library has the Wordscape audiobooks but none by LibriVox. I will probe deeper to see if they are hidden.
EDIT: OK, they are livbrivox books, just with all infomation snipped out about lv and who is reading them. I can understand wanting to hide the fact that they were done by LibriVox, but what would be the harm in crediting the narrator?
I stumbled across the books on Wordscape when I was looking at the library’s Freegal site. Since it’s actually a site for music rather than audiobooks, I doubt if the librarians themselves even know that these books are available through Freegal. As Wordscape is probably owned by audible, I doubt if they want to give credit to anyone for the narration. The next time I’m at the library I’m going to talk to one of the librarians there and see if they are aware of LibriVox books being available through Freegal If nothing else, it will give us some nice publicity.