Streaming .m3u playlists of LibriVox URLs; add file to each page

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to make .m3u playlists for each LibriVox project, and put an .m3u file on each page. You can stream the files that way (with a media player program like mpv), instead of downloading the audiobook first. So, you can spend less time downloading, and more time listening. And, you don't have to take up a bunch of space on your device, either.

To make such a playlist, all you need to do it is make a file ending with the extension .m3u in a text editor, and put the URLs for the MP3s each on their own line in order.

Then, if the playlist is named someBook.m3u, people can just open that with their media player of choice, and away they go. They don't have to take up much space on their device, and they can start listening to the whole book right away.

In my case, I like to use mpv for my media player (via Termux on Android) because I can make it save my position, it's easy to navigate quickly, it's fast, it streams online files (but it's seemless, and it seems like they're downloaded), etc. If the playlist was called someBook.m3u, I could make a simple script with this command to play it: `mpv --save-position-on-quit someBook.m3u`, for instance (or just type it out every time, which would be slower).

Anyway, then after we have them for every page, we could make a zip file that contains an m3u for every single book. Then, people can download that file, and have quick access to the entire LibriVox library with hardly any effort.
Last edited by Lushnam on July 28th, 2022, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

besides our mp3 files and the zip, there are many more download options on the archive page for each book, including the m3u stream you mention:

https://archive.org/details/fourlastthings_2207_librivox

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be good to have those options linked on our catalog pages as well, I'm just throwing it out there that it already exists on archive. :)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

Awesome! :)

How do you find the archive pages?
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

Ah, I think you just press the 'Internet Archive Page' link from each page (I thought that was for the scanned text). This is pretty awesome. :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No, the text hides underneath the "online text" link. :wink:

Glad you find it useful! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

You might find the RSS feeds on the left of each catalog page doing something similar to what you want. A podcast app knows what to do with them.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28