ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
smike

Post by smike »

Thank you, Tricia! <3
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Hey, Phil, lemme in!!!

oops! you start at 11am CENTRAL TIME.
I'll be back.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Trying to get in
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Monthly Chit chat about LibriVox. June morning session ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXASpsI-i2U
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Phil, an observation and possible solution.

I think that i am with the majority in hoping you will continue to host a regularly-held Librivox CHIT-CHAT zoom session. Personally, I enjoy your sprightly personality.

it's clear to me from today's session that the main problem with these Zoom sessions is GETTING THE WORD OUT!!.

I have one possible solution to doing this:
In the generated templates, add a line like the one in red below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
msfry wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 3:03 pm Birdie and his Fairy Friends, by Margaret T. Canby
Next Chat and Beginners' Zoom Session on the first Monday of each month at 11am CDT
This book contains 13 stories for little children, about a little boy named Birdie and nature. The stories include "The Frost Fairies", made famous by another short story entitled "The Frost King", penned by Helen Keller as a birthday gift to her mentor when she was just a child, who published it in a Perkins Institute's Journal for the blind, The Mentor, from whence it was widely disseminated. Helen's story was so similar to Margaret Canby's tale, that Keller was accused of plagerizing. Her teacher Anne Sullivan's scramble to acco...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would make it so that all new projects will announce the Zoom sessions; and, all of us who attend them could ask other BCs to add this line to their existing projects.

The new text could be: {color=#FF0000}{b}Next Chat and Beginners' Zoom Session on the first Monday of each month at 11am CDT{/b}{/color} but after replacing the curly-brackets with square-brackets.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I’ve enjoyed the Zoom sessions, and hope they don’t go the way of the Dodo. I think several other people (Michelle and I, to name two) would like to see them continue. They are a good way to socialize and learn something from other people who enjoy and work with LibriVox. It isn’t just for beginners, but for everyone who likes LibriVox.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

MaryinArkansas wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:32 pm I’ve enjoyed the Zoom sessions, and hope they don’t go the way of the Dodo. I think several other people (Michelle and I, to name two) would like to see them continue. They are a good way to socialize and learn something from other people who enjoy and work with LibriVox. It isn’t just for beginners, but for everyone who likes LibriVox.
Sorry I missed the last one in the morning -- just got distracted with other LV stuff. :roll:
I did check into the evening one, but it turned out to be just Phil and I. :hmm:
But I did get to watch what he recorded of the earlier session -- an intense discussion I would like to have been a part of.
I've never hosted a Zoom meeting, but I would be up for it.

~ Larry

Today, May 26, is my 11 year anniversary with LibriVox. What a journery!
Some stats: 2,300 projects, 335 as BC, 500 as DPL, 1850 as reader.
More to come :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Phil says he's done hosting Zoom sessions, but we're free to carry on. I concur that the meetings have been enjoyable and I'd like them to continue. Here are my thoughts this evening:

Phil's goal of attracting "newbies" didn't pan out to his satisfaction, and general attendance has never been all that impressive. I suggest that's mostly an advertising problem. How do we get the word out?

The Announcement Thread is unlocked so anyone can announce a session. Getting people to subscribe to that thread and receive the announcements should be a joint effort. I joined Girl Scouts because my school chum asked me to. I first went to Sunday School because my next door neighbor invited me. That's how it works. We might each start mentioning to our friends to subscribe to that forum. Bill's suggestion of putting a little note in the First Post on projects we BC, might work. And so forth. Isn't word-of-mouth how most clubs grow?

Phil says he is willing to share his Pro Zoom account (a yearly contract he pays for). Alas, he's tried setting it up so that others could use it to host a meeting without him being there, but so far that hasn't been successful. Does anybody know how to accomplish this?

Anybody can download a free version of Zoom and host a meeting, but it cuts off after 40 minutes, and I don't know how far in advance the invite link can be posted, and how long a link stays live. Does anybody know this for sure?

Once-a-month (or week) meetings is what most clubs do, at a set day and time, usually with a program followed by discussion, but maybe Mondays at 11 am and 11 pm aren't the most convenient times for people to attend. What are the best times for the greatest number?

As to upcoming topics, I'd like to learn how everyone listens to LV audiobooks. I'd like to hear more about the various recording set-ups certain readers use, and how people find material to BC and break it down for the MW, how to do character voices, etc. I'd also like to know who is willing to coach others via Zoom on various skills, and what those skills are. I could host a couple of those and would certainly try to attend others.

I'd like to know what others think of using Zoom for individual live tutoring sessions, particularly on setting up Audacity, recording, and editing files.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi everybody. As Michele posted yesterday, I am officially not hosting the LibriVox zoom monthly meeting any more. June was the last one. It was an interesting concept and so I've been involved in testing it in various ways for the past 18 months but have decided it is just too cumbersome and complex for me to handle and the pay off in helping members seems too meager. I'd like to stress that all of this zoom stuff has been done by me as a regular member of LibriVox, not as a admin. LivriVox is just a great community that allowed me to experiment.

So, while I am not intimately involved any more as a host, I certainly support anyone who wants to put in the time and effort to have zoom meetings, especially regularly scheduled ones. Trying new things can lead to wonderful results; remember that LivriVox was an off-the-wall strange idea at one time that someone decided to try. If a meeting is scheduled, I will probably be right there as a participant.

I agree with advertising should be kept to word or mouth, signature invites, etc. Putting a note on every project is not the way to go.
Oh, and my zoom pro account will be active until September 22nd, after that I will be using the free version.

OK, i am off to make another video now .... stay enthusiastic and LibriVoxy. ImageImage
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I think the Zoom sessions have been enjoyable. While participants were often few and often not many “newbies” I think we all learned a lot about fellow LibriVoxers and shared a lot of good ideas. We should definitely keep this up.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
smike

Post by smike »

Well, I enjoyed the zoom sessions and would be happy for them to be continued. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
msfry

Post by msfry »

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY, EVERYONE!
Hope you have a safe and happy holiday, loaded with hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, fries, beverage of choice, and of course your favorite dessert. I'm going for Marie Calendar's Lemon Meringue Pie this year.

And being that it's also the first Monday of the month, I'd like to hear your thoughts on resuming a "First Monday's Club". I miss our get togethers and for starters, here's a topic I'd like to discuss with as many of you as possible. We ought to know . . . . .

1. How do you listen to podcasts? (phone, mp3 player, computer; which App?; headphones, air pods, bluetooth speaker; alone, with others; while driving, cooking, sleeping, etc.)
Last edited by msfry on July 4th, 2022, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loon

Post by loon »

msfry wrote: July 4th, 2022, 7:45 am HAPPY 4TH OF JULY, EVERYONE!
Hope you have a safe and happy holiday, loaded with hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, fries, beverage of choice, and of course your favorite desert. I'm going for Marie Calendar's Lemon Meringue Pie this year.

And being that it's also the first Monday of the month, I'd like to hear your thoughts on resuming a "First Monday's Club". I miss our get togethers and for starters, here's a topic I'd like to discuss with as many of you as possible. We ought to know . . . . .

1. How do you listen to podcasts? (phone, mp3 player, computer; which App?; headphones, air pods, bluetooth speaker; alone, with others; while driving, cooking, sleeping, etc.)
Well, not this Monday, but yep - "First Mondays" get togethers are something we should do. Do you have a time in mind?

And a belated Happy Canada Day to those who put the North in North America.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I miss the get-togethers, too.
Count me in, when there's an "in" again.
Last edited by williamjones on July 4th, 2022, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yes, I'm also interested :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)