My name is Jessica

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Jessica Montgomerie

Post by Jessica Montgomerie »

I'm new to LibriVox and I'm looking forward to volunteering sometime soon. For now, I'm looking around and getting to now the process. I've studied drama, literature, and teaching English as a second language, and now I work at a library.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Welcome to Librivox!

As you may have already figured out, you have a fair amount in common with other Librivoxers (and Librivixens). I'm sure our crowd of librarians will descend shortly. :)

Meantime, Weekly Poetry and Aesop's Fables (both over in Readers
Wanted: Short Works) are great places to start when you feel ready to jump in. They're all quite short, and are good ways to start getting a handle on your recording software of choice.

Looking forward to hearing your voice!

-Catharine
raynr

Post by raynr »

ceastman wrote:our crowd of librarians will descend shortly.
Oh, how nice. I imagine the librarians descending the steps from the high temple of literature to present the finest writings to the stranger seeking for knowledge and wisdom.

Hello Jessica, I can't count myself to be part of this "crowd", but I welcome you anyway. Here is very nice folk around and if you have any question, just ask.

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Jessica. Good to have you aboard. There are indeed a number of librarians on the site. They do a lot of our tedious cataloging.

Well if you have questions just speak up. We can usually find an answer for you.

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Aspiring librarian here, descending from above to say hello and welcome! :D
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
kri

Post by kri »

You know what's funny. I think that my association with the fellow meta-coordinators who are librarians causes people to think that I'm a librarian.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

You know what's really funny? Only one of the six MCs actually is a librarian! That would be Betsie, whereas I'm a lowly library clerk and grad student. Hopefully I'll be able to call myself a real librarian in May 07. And I think Kara, Gesine, you, and Rainer ended up librarians by association somehow! But there are plenty of other librarians around here, just not necessarily doing the cataloging. Anyhoo, sorry to hijack your introductory thread, Jessica!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome jessica! if you have any questions, just ask...
vee

Post by vee »

Well, I guess I'm not necessarily thinking of a librarian as a proffession but it almost seems like your hobby :) Maybe I got myself confused with the whole Book Cataloging software thread that's been going on.

Oh well, the point is that there are a lot of actual librarians, and lots of people taking on some of the duties of librarians! :D
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein