The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Surely the best way to avoid this problem is to control your voice so you do not have any large peaks? This avoids the use of things like compression which only degrade the recording. Then if there is just the odd peak you can just reduce it at the editing stage.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"Degradation" is relative. :P Yes, modulating one's voice is the more ideal way, but the minor degradation that occurs using effects sparingly is not worth the worry for most users.

This constant striving for perfection, while admirable, does bother me sometimes. It can place an undue burden on readers. 80% or even 70% is better than shooting for 100% and achieving 0%.

---

But this is off topic in this thread. We can take the philosophy of audio quality elsewhere. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Hello all, I've been away for a VERY long time but I'm back again and setting up a new mic on a new computer. I have *issues* and I don't know what's happening.

My microphone seems to be connected but not picking up sound. I've set up Audacity following the tutorials. It all seems right but there's barely any sound being picked up. I'm a techy luddite so if anyone can offer help or suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm trying include a screenshot, not sure if it will work or not. ETA: my photo didn't work, trying a link instead.

https://ibb.co/hf0tHZj
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mzmolly65 wrote: April 14th, 2022, 2:05 am Hello all, I've been away for a VERY long time but I'm back again and setting up a new mic on a new computer. I have *issues* and I don't know what's happening.

My microphone seems to be connected but not picking up sound. I've set up Audacity following the tutorials. It all seems right but there's barely any sound being picked up. I'm a techy luddite so if anyone can offer help or suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm trying include a screenshot, not sure if it will work or not. ETA: my photo didn't work, trying a link instead.

https://ibb.co/hf0tHZj
Thanks for the picture - it helps answer some questions.

I did a quick web search, and it sounds like low volume is one problem with this mic:
However, I noted that the volume coming from this microphone is the lowest I have ever tested. I do see that most people complain about tonor tc-777 low volume issues. Even I experienced it at the start, however, the microphone recording gets better when you set it at 90% of volume from Windows Sound Settings. Low volume one of the greatest disadvantages of this microphone. I’m currently using Fifine K670, and setting the gain at only 20% generates the same volume as on Tonor TC-777 when setting at 90%.
https://www.thephonetalks.com/tonor-tc-777-microphone-review-comparison/

On that page towards the middle, there's a section, "Step-by-Step Guide To Solve TONOR TC-777 Low Volume Sound Issue" for Windows 10. Try that. :)
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Also, the Audacity microphone slider (at top right of your image) should be fully over to the right. Probably that won't make enough difference on its own, but it should help a bit.
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Thank you both, I've followed the instructions you both provided and managed to boost the sound up by a crumb.

https://ibb.co/CKyYZ2v

It's odd because the microphone was working just fine when I first got it and did a University presentation using it, but now it's just :( sad.

I didn't realise it was a problem with the microphone itself. I think I'll just go shopping for a better unit. Do you have any recommendations for a good microphone that won't break the bank? Under or around $100 would be nice if that's possible. I'm in the UK now so I also want to find a local purchase because international shipping is so expensive.

Edited to add: I finally managed to get a decent volume. Need to sit with the microphone within inches of your mouth (not what I'm used to as my old one you could sit 12" back and get a really good recording). https://ibb.co/y68YyNF So maybe .. it will work ok. What do you guys think?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That second one looks good.

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. If you're game, you can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.
mzmolly65

Post by mzmolly65 »

Thanks again, it's been so long I had forgotten about Checker so I appreciate that reminder. I've downloaded it and it's working fine. The microphone close to the mouth is the solution and that last recording is actually over the sound limit by a little so I'll adjust things until I find a good working volume.

Thanks for all the help, solutions are in sight now!
Dayne

Post by Dayne »

I joined https://forum.audacityteam.org/ which has been of help to me with the program.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Everyone,

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/athenianempire_02_cox_128kb.mp3

I've had to switch to a different computer (HP Envy x360) and to the latest version of Audacity. I have the same Samson C01U USB mike. For the first time I am having trouble with static snaps or bumps. Background noise has been less with this new set-up, so it's something different from that. I left snaps in at 2:04.0 and at 13:22 so that you could listen to them. Diminishing the volume of the recording at these places, leaves the snaps undiminished, so that they actually sound louder. I have been forced to rerecord numerous phrases. Do you have any idea how to prevent or to treat this problem?

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I have a problem and want help. When editing a track in Audacity, my selection tool is very active, clicking here and there in the track, selecting silences to lengthen or shorten, bits to remove and things like that. BUT all too often, this results in being suddenly kicked back to the start of the track by Audacity. It interprets my clicks to mean a double click and just moves me back to the start of the track. This is frustrating when working in the middle of a 40 minute long track, concentrating fiercely on getting just the right spacing between phrases, trying to remove tiny bits of silence or something like that, and pow, I'm back at the start of the track, I've lost that perfect phrasing in my head that I was working on and have to slowly find the spot where I was working.
There is no way to edit or change this 'double click' thing inside of Audacity that i know of and am looking for advice on how to disable it somehow. In other words, it is not something that can be changed by preferences. I have gone into Widows and tried modifying the mouse click settings but none stop this from happening.

so ... you wonderful people. How can this double-click thing be disable this so that I can go back to happy editing instead of constantly fretting that I'll be kicked back to the start. ?? :? :?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Phil,

This problem has been driving me crazy also. Please help both of us!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Odd; I've not been hit by this. I saw your query on the Audacity forum, Phil .. where the last response suggested adjusting your mouse settings. My mouse click speed is set to the fourth step from the left; I don't know if that's relevant ... and I'm not going to play with it, in case I get the problem you and Pam are having.

My current problem with Audacity is that occasionally when I'm editing a section, the program will jump back to the beginning of the section and start playing it. A minor annoyance, but it would be nice to stop it happening.

A piece of advice: always close Audacity from the menu bar (either Close a file, or Exit from Audacity), as if you use the Windows shut-down "x" at top right, I have the impression that the file often gets corrupted on shut-down.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

philchenevert wrote: May 10th, 2022, 4:55 pmbits to remove and things like that. BUT all too often, this results in being suddenly kicked back to the start of the track by Audacity. It interprets my clicks to mean a double click
Phil, are you very very sure that the jump back to the beginning happens right at the click ? Because a real double click in Audacity should highlight the whole recording and not jump back.

What happens sometimes to me is that when I want to press the "delete" button I accidentally press the "home" button which is in the vicinity and actually is hopping back to the beginning because that's its function. You say you notice it when you are in the editing phase, so that's when deleting takes place. That's why I ask, might this not happen when you press delete right after your mouseclick ? :hmm:

Sonia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Hi Phil, from your tutorials it implies that you use AutoHotKeys. Could it be that something from that is causing different keystrokes to what you intend?
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28