COMPLETE: Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe - AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

This book is now complete and can be downloaded from the LibriVox catalogue here: http://librivox.org/moll-flanders-by-daniel-defoe/

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works'
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5, below. All the ones without names beside them are �up for grabs.� Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you�d like to read (include the blue number, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? Target completion date of this project: September 30, 2006 � but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it�ll go back to the pool. There�s no shame in this; we�re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text? Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/370
  5. Please claim section numbers (the blue numbers)!

MOLL FLANDERS was one of the first English novels (Defoe's ROBINSON CRUSOE was the very first). Early English novels were written as continuous text, without chapter headings. This LibriVox recording has inserted section headings into the Gutenberg e-text. The section headings are given below with the first phrase of each section.

TO KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN RECORDING, please search the Gutenberg e-text for the phrase provided for your section. TO KNOW WHERE TO STOP, search for the first phrase of the following section. If you have any questions, write Denny Sayers at dsayers@mac.com.

(BC admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    If this is your first recording, you'll also find this useful:
    http://librivox.org/about-recording/

Sample rate
    1. 44.1KHz is the default sample rate in lots of software. We like getting files at this rate.
    2. Some know-it-all told us that 32KHz sounds better. If you know how, try to use this rate.
    3. We want to make this easy, so we'll take any rate from 22 to 44.1KHz, if you need us to.
    4. Please don't use 48KHz or anything under 22KHz. If you accidentally send us something at these rates, our uploaders will resample it for you and advise you on how to record at a sample rate we can use. Don't worry, your work will never be wasted!
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say: "Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe. [Then say your section, as in 'Section 4.']"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say: �End of [Section 4.]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe."
    Please leave a couple of seconds silence at the end of your recording!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording: Save files as 128 kbps MP3 mollflanders_#_defoe.mp3 , all lower-case, where # is the blue number above. (mollflanders_01_defoe.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3) Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use � if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message).

Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: [Give the section number as in "Section 01"]
    Artist: Daniel Defoe
    Album: Moll Flanders

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Files can either be posted here in the forum (link to your webspace) or emailed via http://yousendit.com to: dsayers@mac.com (if you use yousendit, it's helpful if you'll post the resulting link in this thread)
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording: - your name as you want it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, - your webpage URL (if applicable) - the runtime of the recording in format hh:mm:ss
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by DSayers on October 5th, 2006, 12:01 pm, edited 83 times in total.
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

I will go ahead and take chapter 3. Shall I say "Chapter 3, 'phrase' " at the beginning (follow the title)? or just the phrase?

Nocturna
Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop. — H.L. Mencken
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Nocturna:

Welcome! This is going to be fun. I'd love to hear what attracted you to this Moll project ...

Please just say "3", and the name of your section, "Thus far I have had a smooth story to tell".

We will avoid chapters, and just name the sections, by numbers only, as we record them.

-Denny
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

Denny,

Well, I just I just love stories about women adventuresses!

I've already read the chapter and will edit it shortly...

Nocturna
nocturna

Post by nocturna »

Denny,

I have posted Chapter 3 here:

http://www.wraycodesign.com/moll_flanders_3_defoe.mp3

Let me know how it sounds for you!

Nocturna
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Nocturna:

I just listened to your reading of "3, Thus far I have had a smooth story to tell" and enjoyed it immensely. All chapters go out to "proof listeners," and I'm sure they'll agree with me that there are no missteps anywhere.

This is the chapter where Moll first "falls" owing to her youthful vanity, though she is destined to plummet further still ... thanks for your effective rendering.

-Denny
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Denny,

I'll be the MC for this. If you can hold onto the files until the project is complete, that would be great, if not you can send them to me as they come in. I'll add this to the catalog page. Good job with your first BC endeavour! :)
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Nocturna [and everyone]: Annie Coleman, aka Library Lady, is our MC (meta-Coordinator).

I gave you advice, Nocturna, that was off the mark. Annie has pointed out that it is probably best in future to begin a recording, say of section 5 with "Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe, Section 5," and not include the first phrase of the section as its "title."

Certainly, when we give the title in our ID3 tags, "Section 5" is the best choice.

Nocturna, don't go back and change that detail in our recording ... it sounds perfect as it is. Remember, this is my first book coordination gig, so I'm learning, too!

Future recordings should include Section numbers, though.

Thanks for the clarification, Annie.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I would like to claim 5 and 6 as well as the 2 I was already assingned.

Thanks
Laurie
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Perfect, Laurie. You're down for Section 5 and Section 6 now, and Section 2 was already noted.

-Denny
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Hello friends:

If anyone cares to listen, here is Section 01, The Author's Preface.

http://download.yousendit.com/3C114747189B6031

Enjoy!

-Denny
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I just listened to chapter 3 out of curiousity and it sounds really great! Very enjoyable to listen to - if we can all read like this, "Moll" is sure to be a success!

thanks
Laurie
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Laurie wrote:I just listened to chapter 3 out of curiousity and it sounds really great! Very enjoyable to listen to - if we can all read like this, "Moll" is sure to be a success!
No question ... Nocturna did a great job.

I took on the Preface since I thought it would be good to have a male voice read this section where Defoe pretends to be a strict moralist before relating Moll's many shady "depredations" ... hopefully it sounds properly solemn!

While LibriVox doesn't discourage either gender from reading on any project, I am hoping that several, even many female readers will see what a great book this is to read!

-Denny
Last edited by DSayers on March 13th, 2006, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

DSayers wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Annie.
You're welcome! It could have been done the way you had suggested, I just thought this would be much simpler for everyone involved: reader, BC, MC, listener. Also, I updated your first post so that the ID3 tag guide stands out more, hope you don't mind! :)
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

LibraryLady wrote:
DSayers wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Annie.
Also, I updated your first post so that the ID3 tag guide stands out more, hope you don't mind! :)
On the contrary! I just used the template that was provided ... in fact, you may want to help update that template so that newbie BC's like me have the right things emphasized from the start.

-Denny