[Complete] Radioisotopes in Medicine, by Earl W. Phelan - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Radioisotopes in Medicine, by Earl W. Phelan (1900 - 1993)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/radioisotopes-in-medicine-version-2-by-earl-w-phelan/

Volunteers outside the USA: Earl W. Phelan died in 1993. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
This is a book in the "Understanding the Atom Series" from the Division of Technical Information, U. S. Atomic Energy Commission. The author gives a short overview of the field and outlines the diagnostic and therapeutic uses of radioisotopes in medicine with examples of application. The book gives an accurate historical view of the state of medical radiotherapy in 1966. (Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49377

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1966
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Science/Life Sciences

Keywords that describe the book: science, physics, chemistry, health, isotopes, radiotherapy, cancer therapy, medical diagnosis, oncology

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

SPECIAL READING NOTES: Read only footnotes indicated in the Magic Window. Read only captions, some with modifications, as directed. Please ask for specific instructions for the section you are reading. In most instances the chemical symbol should be read in full for the element it represents. For instance, read Fe as "iron," C as "carbon," etc. Isotopes with superscripts should be read, for example 131I as "Iodine 131." If you are unsure about any case, or unsure of the pronunciation of a word or term, please ask.

Say:
"Section # of Radioisotopes in Medicine. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Radioisotopes in Medicine, by Earl W. Phelan. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Radioisotopes in Medicine, by Earl W. Phelan."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: radioisotopesinmedicine_##_phelan_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. radioisotopesinmedicine_01_phelan_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is another in the "Understanding the Atom Series."
I will be DPL again

~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up for you now.

And done. Let me know if you need anything else.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks for setting this up, Lynnet!

MW filled out and we are ready for readers.

~ Larry
mark512

Post by mark512 »

Hi,

I would like to claim a section. How about section 1, Introduction: History?

Thanks

Mark 512
mark512

Post by mark512 »

Sorry - newbie here. Looks pretty short, so I think I can take the first 3 sections.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mark512 wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 2:39 pm Sorry - newbie here. Looks pretty short, so I think I can take the first 3 sections.
Well, I'd be glad to have you make your LibriVox debut here!
Just let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog -- real name, pseudonym, or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

This book is a little tricky because it does rely on illustrations a lot. Please refer to the nots in the Magic Window for instructions for these sections. Read only the designated footnotes, but omit the parts that refer to illustrations, since that wouldn't make sense to the listeners. There is the one picture caption for Section 3 to read, but read it at the end. I just think it will flow better to do that. For footnotes, use the format, "footnote . . . . end footnote."

Let me know if anything isn't clear.

Thanks for joining this project!

~ Larry
lizzyblack

Post by lizzyblack »

Hi, I'd like to read section 4 if available :)

I am pretty new as well, even if I was here years ago.
I'd like to be credited with my full name, Elisabetta Corti

Thanks!
Liz

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

lizzyblack wrote: March 4th, 2022, 6:35 am Hi, I'd like to read section 4 if available :)

Thanks!
Welcome back!
You're still in the catalog under that name, so you're all set.
You are assigned Section 4
Thank you!

~ Larry
mark512

Post by mark512 »

Thanks - you can list me as Mark512 for the LV catalog.

As for footnotes, please clarify one thing for me. I did record the Intro History Section 1 and will upload shortly. There were no footnotes noted for reading in the Magic Window. Upon looking at section 2 however, it looks like you'd like footnotes 1,2,3 and 5 read. The footnotes for section 2 (overview, what is radiation?) start with footnote #5, so perhaps the instruction for reading footnotes 1,2,3 were for the history section 1?

Thanks!
silverquill wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 11:01 pm
Well, I'd be glad to have you make your LibriVox debut here!
Just let me know how you would like to be listed in the LV catalog -- real name, pseudonym, or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

This book is a little tricky because it does rely on illustrations a lot. Please refer to the nots in the Magic Window for instructions for these sections. Read only the designated footnotes, but omit the parts that refer to illustrations, since that wouldn't make sense to the listeners. There is the one picture caption for Section 3 to read, but read it at the end. I just think it will flow better to do that. For footnotes, use the format, "footnote . . . . end footnote."

Let me know if anything isn't clear.

Thanks for joining this project!
mark512

Post by mark512 »

lizzyblack

Post by lizzyblack »

silverquill wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:14 am
lizzyblack wrote: March 4th, 2022, 6:35 am Hi, I'd like to read section 4 if available :)

Thanks!
Welcome back!
You're still in the catalog under that name, so you're all set.
You are assigned Section 4
Thank you!
Thanks, starting soon then :)
Liz

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mark512 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 1:22 pm Section 1 ready for listen: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/radioisotopesinmedicine_01_phelan_128kb.mp3
8:08
Thank you!
Sorry for the confusion about the footnotes, but you are correct -- none for this section.
This is very well read, and I'm glad to mark it PL OK.

I do have one observation and suggestion. While normal breath sounds are to be expected, the are several places where there a lip smacks that are a bit distracting, so something to be aware of in recording. Then there is one place where there is an extraneous "sniff" that you might want to edit out, at about 7:45. An example of a lip smack can be found at about 6:38, and there are a few other places that I didn't mark. These are optional corrections, but if you do them, just upload the new file under the same name and post link and time here again.

Thanks again for your good reading.
Oh, just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap: :clap:

~ Larry
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I would like to claim the Therapy sections, 8, 9, &10, please.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ciufi wrote: March 5th, 2022, 12:02 pm I would like to claim the Therapy sections, 8, 9, &10, please.
Received and entered with great pleasure!
Thank you.

~ Larry