Emotive Technique

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

For the first time, for what it's worth, I will say what motivates me to record:
I can record anything in endless ways; this is the creativity of doing it. I will explain. Let's take one sentence:

I went shopping at sunset.

Maybe I am weird. But I would just emote the sentence to fit the context. If the shopping was a happy event I would add a bright voice tone to shopping. If sunset scared the shopper I would add a scared tone to sunset. If I didn't care as the book character then I would emote the whole sentence that way. I would add in whatever breathing ornamentation was needed; I do not have a philosophy of doing sterile non-breath readings.

Sometimes I do this without thinking about it; fiction seems to offer more opportunities for all this in general. A non fiction about cooking recipes offers fewer choices, I suppose. Every sentence I am looking as much of this in as possible. If I see a sentence with sarcasm opportunities I just reach for the sarcasm button and wonder "how cheesy can I make it?" FYI I haven't gone 20 percent sarcasm in any reading yet.

I could not read each word and sentence with the same tone and inflection. That would bore me witless. I could not read that way. Then there are some other subtleties like subtly stressing a word for itself; saying softly a bit more softly or saying roughly a bit more roughly. I try to make it organic and a bit of a subconscious process. I try not to be mechanical about it.

I imagine that this style/method of reading might drive some people nuts; some listeners just want a flat read and that's OK.

I have to think up all this myself; I have no background in acting let alone being coached in voice acting by anyone. This is also why I like long sections; give me at least 6000 words where I can "develop" an emotive narrative and bring the story or text to the listener. I wonder if I could emote something absolutely dry like the digits of Pi. :lol:
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

In light of the above, you might appreciate this :lol:

https://librivox.org/the-first-fifty-digits-of-pi/
Jo
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 12th, 2022, 9:38 pm In light of the above, you might appreciate this :lol:

https://librivox.org/the-first-fifty-digits-of-pi/
:clap: :clap: :thumbs:
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.