SOLO [Irish] An Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach by Dúbhglas de h-Íde - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Brian, I had a listen just now and thank you for speaking so clearly and not too fast. I was able to follow along with the text. 8-)

Textually there seems to be nothing amiss. I couldn't follow the intro disclaimer, but the few words I understood, it seems you translated the exact text into Irish, and the important messages are in. So this can be used. Please note that for the second section you can use the shortened disclaimer (see first post). You don't have to say all this each time.

Only one small cosmetic change to be made:

> at the beginning: over 2 seconds of silence are too long to start the recording. We recommend staying between 0.5 and 1 second maximum. After this, listeners will start to wonder whether there is anything wrong with the audience.

The rest was perfect. Your pacing there is agreeable, not too fast and not too slow. Very expressive. And the silences between are not exceedingly long, but you also don't rush through it. You can continue like that :thumbs:

Looking forward to your first story. :) I will read it in French beforehand so I have a better grasp of what it is all about :lol:

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2022, 12:14 am Hi Brian, I had a listen just now and thank you for speaking so clearly and not too fast. I was able to follow along with the text. 8-)

Textually there seems to be nothing amiss. I couldn't follow the intro disclaimer, but the few words I understood, it seems you translated the exact text into Irish, and the important messages are in. So this can be used. Please note that for the second section you can use the shortened disclaimer (see first post). You don't have to say all this each time.

Only one small cosmetic change to be made:

> at the beginning: over 2 seconds of silence are too long to start the recording. We recommend staying between 0.5 and 1 second maximum. After this, listeners will start to wonder whether there is anything wrong with the audience.

The rest was perfect. Your pacing there is agreeable, not too fast and not too slow. Very expressive. And the silences between are not exceedingly long, but you also don't rush through it. You can continue like that :thumbs:

Looking forward to your first story. :) I will read it in French beforehand so I have a better grasp of what it is all about :lol:

Sonia
Hi Sonia. I have taken the silence out at the start of the file and re-uploaded the file. Hope that works. Will get started on story #1 imminently.
Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:17 amI have taken the silence out at the start of the file and re-uploaded the file. Hope that works.
yes perfect and PL ok now :thumbs: Looking forward to the first story.

I just saw that there is one page missing :( Would you have this missing page in the book that you first wanted to use ? It doesn't open for me but maybe you could give me a screenshot of that one page, so I can follow along with the text ?

Thanks

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:01 am
brianeanna wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:17 amI have taken the silence out at the start of the file and re-uploaded the file. Hope that works.

I just saw that there is one page missing :( Would you have this missing page in the book that you first wanted to use ? It doesn't open for me but maybe you could give me a screenshot of that one page, so I can follow along with the text ?

Thanks

Sonia
What page is missing? I did notice there were some repeat pages at the beginning of the book, but didn't notice anything missing.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:04 amWhat page is missing? I did notice there were some repeat pages at the beginning of the book, but didn't notice anything missing.
Well, I was checking the French text: after the first page of the first story, a paragraph is ending with "l'estime qu'il avait pour lui". In Irish: "leis an meas do bhi aige air". The next page is a repeat of the title page and then page 6/7 starts in the middle of a sentence: "qu'un homme qui avait fait / "ann sin." So I figured there is a page missing. :hmm:

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2022, 11:51 pm
brianeanna wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:04 amWhat page is missing? I did notice there were some repeat pages at the beginning of the book, but didn't notice anything missing.
Well, I was checking the French text: after the first page of the first story, a paragraph is ending with "l'estime qu'il avait pour lui". In Irish: "leis an meas do bhi aige air". The next page is a repeat of the title page and then page 6/7 starts in the middle of a sentence: "qu'un homme qui avait fait / "ann sin." So I figured there is a page missing. :hmm:

Sonia
I see the problem, Sonia. The Internet Archive version is slightly corrupt.
Please try this link, and let me know if it works: https://www.google.com/books/edition/An_sg%CA%B9ealuidhe_gaedhealach/7ceBwNz8GfIC?hl=en&gbpv=0
If not, I'll simply mail you the good pdf if you provide me with an email (I see attachments aren't possible on this forum).
Brianeanna
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

brianeanna wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:04 am
Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2022, 4:01 am

Sonia
Also: see the magic window for the first story. Enjoy!
Brianeanna
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: January 19th, 2022, 4:36 pmPlease try this link, and let me know if it works: https://www.google.com/books/edition/An_sg%CA%B9ealuidhe_gaedhealach/7ceBwNz8GfIC?hl=en&gbpv=0
If not, I'll simply mail you the good pdf if you provide me with an email (I see attachments aren't possible on this forum).
No, the link does not open for me, probably a copyright problem for Europeans. I'll write you a PM on how to send me a screenshot of the missing page.

You are reading from the archive scan though, right ? We need to use the same source.

Also: if you put a link in the MW, please set the status to "Ready to PL". That way I see it on my to do list.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Brian, did you get my PM ? Still waiting for the screenshot of that one page before I PL.

Have a nice weekend.

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:20 am Brian, did you get my PM ? Still waiting for the screenshot of that one page before I PL.

Have a nice weekend.

Sonia
Link sent in PM. Let me know if it works.
B
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:59 amLink sent in PM. Let me know if it works.
:thumbs: yes it opens fine, thank you. I will probably not PL over the weekend though, pretty busy with private things and I also was hoping to have a bit of time to record some of my own sections. But at the latest I'll do it on Monday, promised.

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 21st, 2022, 12:44 pm
brianeanna wrote: January 21st, 2022, 7:59 amLink sent in PM. Let me know if it works.
:thumbs: yes it opens fine, thank you. I will probably not PL over the weekend though, pretty busy with private things and I also was hoping to have a bit of time to record some of my own sections. But at the latest I'll do it on Monday, promised.

Sonia
No rush at all, Sonia. We all have lives!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok sorry for the delay, but I finally listened to your first story. Lively narrated again and as far as I could follow, not textual errors. :thumbs: It is helpful to have the French text nearby though :lol:

Just one short note concerning the intro disclaimer:

> in a solo you have the option to say a short disclaimer from the second section onwards (see first post). Maybe you want to change that still, it will save you a lot of time in the long run. ;)
Simply say (in Irish translation): "Section 1 of An Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach, by Dubhglas Dehide. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."

Sonia
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:37 am ok sorry for the delay, but I finally listened to your first story. Lively narrated again and as far as I could follow, not textual errors. :thumbs: It is helpful to have the French text nearby though :lol:

Just one short note concerning the intro disclaimer:

> in a solo you have the option to say a short disclaimer from the second section onwards (see first post). Maybe you want to change that still, it will save you a lot of time in the long run. ;)
Simply say (in Irish translation): "Section 1 of An Sgéaluidhe Gaedhealach, by Dubhglas Dehide. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."

Sonia
Hi, Sonia.
I took your advice and went with the short intro. File reuploaded for PL.
Brianeanna
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Another question: what opinion do you have of the footnotes? Should they be included?