[COMPLETE]The Countess of Rudolstadt by George Sand - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Roselbex wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 7:22 pm I have uploaded Epilogue Part 2 Section 46 Length 43:03
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_46_sand_128kb.mp3

Wow, what a book, exciting all the way

May I claim 47, 48, 49, thank you
Thanks again for this section! It's PL OK.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Roselbex wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 2:21 pm I have reuploaded Epilogue Part 1 Section 45 Length 25:28
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_45_sand_128kb.mp3

I just looked up Armorica, I'd never heard of it before. If I could just remember the wonderful vocabulary and use it correctly, I could be almost impressive
PL OK! Thank you!

I had to look up Armorica too. My favorite new vocab word from the most recent section is "matrimoniomaniac." :lol:
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Roselbex wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:59 pm Hi, how would you like these sections to be announced? At Chapter, should I read Section 47 or Letter from Philon.... And then at the end of the introduction, should I read Letter from Philon...?
Good question! Thanks for checking. I think I would leave out the section number for consistency's sake and go with something like this:

"Letter from Philon, to Ignatius Joseph Martinowicz, Professor of Physics at the University of Lemberg, Part 1, from The Countess of Rudolstadt. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Countess of Rudolstadt, by George Sand, translated by Francis G. Shaw. Letter from Philon, to Ignatius Joseph Martinowicz, Professor of Physics at the University of Lemberg. Part 1."

Sarah
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Hi.

Was my last one OK?

Tim
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

journeyman wrote: February 4th, 2022, 12:58 am Hi.

Was my last one OK?

Tim
I tried a downloading it a few more times, but it was still the original file. Could you try uploading the new one again when you have a chance? I'll PL it as soon as I can.

Sarah
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

- At 28:50, "also by the desire of clearing up my suspicions," you say "also by the desire of cleaning up my suspicions" (p. 232)
- At 33:26, "which it was supposed she had confided to me," you say "with which it supposed she had confided to me" (p. 234)
Desiring to clear up my errors, corrected Section 20 attached.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_20_sand_128kb.mp3

Desiring (perhaps unrealistically) to have my final submission for this book to be error-free, section 21 is attached, running 55:19. This book has been wonderfully enjoyable and challenging, perhaps because I have to keep from letting my more provincial speech patterns from dragging down her more sophisticated (and more 19th century) manner of speaking. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop, mid-sentence, thinking "WHAT??...Oh, I guess that does make sense". That being said, I think I DID find a grammatical error on pg 242, last full ¶, second last sentence, which I believe I corrected to the intended meaning.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_21_sand_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Brize
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have uploaded A letter to Philon Section 47 Length 54:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_47_sand_128kb.mp3

Zdenko!! I've been so worried about him, thank goodness he is well. He really touches my heart and I don't know why!

Page 273 (46:43) there is a blot and I deciphered it, but correctly? I don't know.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

The new file came through this time, thank you! It sounds great. I really appreciate your re-doing the chapter. I know that recording can be a lot of work. I have some notes that I mention only because the word changes affect the meaning of the text. If you have any questions about editing the file or adjusting the volume, I'll be happy to help! :)

- At 1:38, "and as she was astonished at so much indulgence in the discipline of the prison," you say "and she was astonished that so much indulgence in the discipline of the prison" (p. 176)
- At 4:35, "Consuelo herself did not know if she was there under suspicion," you say "Consuelo herself did not know if she was under suspicion" (p. 177)
- At 8:30, "and she discovered that with exactitude and perseverance," you say "and she discovered with exactitude and perseverance" (p. 179)
- At 8:39, "and could subject to her will," you say "and could subject her will" (p. 179)
- At 11:06, "and without confounding them," you say "and without having confounding them" (p. 180)
- At 12:53, "continually recommencing the same alternation of torture and relief," you say "gradually recommencing the same alternation of torture and relief" (p. 181)
- At 14:44, "a reflection of the sun the same effect as the black pupil of the cat," you say "a reflection of the sun as the black pupil of the cat," (p. 181-182)
- At 16:04, "by other symptoms not less evident," you say "by other symptoms less evident," (p. 182)
- At 17:47, "had enkindled the atmosphere," you say "had unkindled the atmosphere" (p. 183)
- The volume is at 92.6 dB. Could you lower it to within the target range of 87-92 dB?

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: February 4th, 2022, 2:45 pm Desiring to clear up my errors, corrected Section 20 attached.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/countessofrudolstadt_20_sand_128kb.mp3

Desiring (perhaps unrealistically) to have my final submission for this book to be error-free, section 21 is attached, running 55:19. This book has been wonderfully enjoyable and challenging, perhaps because I have to keep from letting my more provincial speech patterns from dragging down her more sophisticated (and more 19th century) manner of speaking. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop, mid-sentence, thinking "WHAT??...Oh, I guess that does make sense". That being said, I think I DID find a grammatical error on pg 242, last full ¶, second last sentence, which I believe I corrected to the intended meaning.

Thank you,
Brize
Section 20 is PL OK! Thank you!

Thank you for section 21! I'll do my best to PL this whopper of a section tonight, but it might be tomorrow before I'm done. :lol:

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for section 47, Rosie! I'll aim to have this colossal section PL'd by the end of tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Sarah
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Readers Found!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Hi there.

I'm finding it difficult to do this.

I recently had a stroke a suffer from aphasia. It is hard for me to read an write.

This book may be better for someone else.

Tim
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

journeyman wrote: February 5th, 2022, 2:49 am Hi there.

I'm finding it difficult to do this.

I recently had a stroke a suffer from aphasia. It is hard for me to read an write.

This book may be better for someone else.

Tim
Would it be easier for you if you recorded the just phrases or sentences with the word changes in a separate file, and I edited them in myself? I'd like to use your recording. It's very nicely done, and I know you put a lot of work into it. I can take care of the volume as well.

ETA: Please don't worry about this too much. I can edit in parts of the file of the other translation, if that's okay with you.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: February 4th, 2022, 2:45 pm Desiring (perhaps unrealistically) to have my final submission for this book to be error-free, section 21 is attached, running 55:19. This book has been wonderfully enjoyable and challenging, perhaps because I have to keep from letting my more provincial speech patterns from dragging down her more sophisticated (and more 19th century) manner of speaking. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop, mid-sentence, thinking "WHAT??...Oh, I guess that does make sense". That being said, I think I DID find a grammatical error on pg 242, last full ¶, second last sentence, which I believe I corrected to the intended meaning.

Thank you,
Brize
Thanks again for all your work on such a long recording! Great job, as always. I have just a few notes:

- At the part you mentioned above (7:40), "It is said that a persevering will always accomplishes its object," could you read the "accomplishes," since "will" in this case is a noun? Sand's/Shaw's elevated style does make this another one of those sentences that take some parsing!
- At 24:26, "I asked him if he knew what were the Invisibles," you say, "I asked him if he knew where were the Invisibles" (p. 249)
- At 28:11, "all that is thought of the Invisibles," you say "all that is thought of of the Invisibles" (p. 251)
- At 34:40, "They no longer agree about anything," you say "They no longer agree with anything" (p. 254)
- At 40:21, "and delph-colored eyes," I hear "and depth-colored eyes" (p. 256)
- At 48:26, "There is an unforeseen obstacle," you say "There is an unfortunate obstacle" (p. 259)

Sarah