SOLO The Campfire Girls in the Woods by Jane L. Stewart -ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

The Campfire Girls in the Woods, by Jane L. Stewart
This lively Camp Fire group and their Guardian go back to Nature in a camp in the wilds of Maine and pile up more adventures in one summer than they have had in all their previous vacations put together. Before the summer is over they have transformed Gladys, the frivolous boarding school girl, into a genuine Winnebago. (Summary by Goodreads)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20713

Target completion date: 2022-03-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in progress unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: UrXAVDaR
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known):
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? bethyhope96
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: https://bethanyhbaldwin.wixsite.com/mysite
[/list]

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure; Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, girls, childrens, vacation, camping, outdoors

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Campfire Girls in the Woods. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Campfire Girls in the Woods, by Jane L. Stewart. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Campfire Girls in the Woods, by Jane L. Stewart. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Campfire Girls in the Woods, by Jane L. Stewart."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: campfiregirlsinthewoods_##_stewart_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. campfiregirlsinthewoods_01_stewart_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by bethyhope96 on January 15th, 2022, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

I apologize in advance that I am not sure how to get this post looking correctly! I will have to supply more keywords as we go since it is not a book I have actually read before, but one I want to read. Based on what I've seen, it was originally published in the 1910s or '20s, but I am not entirely certain of the edition on Project Gutenberg. I've seen in compared to the Bobbsey Twins.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

There are post options "disable BCCode" I have unchecked this option, and voila, all the nice formatting is back. :D

Edit: also, this seems to be part of a very long series: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66007&p=1366633 :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Thank you for the help! I saw it was a series but also that the first book had never been recorded, well the first book according to what I looked up at least. 🤣
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Also, weird to note and I'm not sure how this affects title things, but the title page etc is what I listed but the rest of the book calls it The Campfire Girls in the Woods, so perhaps that is more apt of a title. I'm not sure what the proper course of action is.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I would probably use 'The Campfire Girls in the Woods' as the title. The Council Fire title seems to be an alternate title. In the list in the post that Availle linked, the book is titled The Camp Fire Girls in the Woods, or Bessie King's First Council Fire.

The PG edition was published in 1914 as shown on the title page in Roman Numerals

COPYRIGHT, MCMXIV
BY
THE SAALFIELD PUBLISHING CO.

See alternate text here - https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/stewart/woods/woods.html
Jo
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Thank you, Jo!
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Do I need to delete this thread and create a new one with the correct title or is that something that will be fixed when it is moved? Sorry for the questions. This is my first time attempting a whole solo book.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

You can edit your own post and change the title yourself. Go to the first post of the thread, and you should see a little pencil icon at the top of the post. Click on that and then change what needs changing. :)
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Thanks so much! I will do so promptly.
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

All right. Thanks to everyone's wonderful help, I have edited the original post to reflect more details. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

all looks OK - I'll MC this then

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK we have a MW and I've claimed all the chapters for you, and added the first chapter title

You will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Let me know how you go getting into the MW

Anne
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Thank you, Anne! I'll check it out.
bethyhope96

Post by bethyhope96 »

Anne, I keep getting an access denied on the google doc that explains about the magic window. The other one seems to open fine, though.