[COMPLETE] The Story Of My Life - Part 2 (Letters 1887 - 1901), by Helen Keller - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

LCaulkins wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:28 am PL Note for Section 2:
Do you want to leave in the numbers, which are needed during the process for sorting, or do you want to pull them out?
I named the sections Letters 1-12, Letters 13-19, etc., which supports numbering the letters. And yet there really aren't any sections in the book, nor any numbers on the letters. I think calling attention to the large volume of letters is impressive, though, and pacing through them in orderly fashion is good, and if we can do one, why not the other? It certainly doesn't detract from the material. That's my thinking, anyway.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Makes sense to me - I just wanted to clarify if that was an intentional call of discretion :)

Section 2 is great and PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:9:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 3 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storyofmylife2letters_03_keller_128kb.mp3 19:32

It is amazing to me that any child of 8 could write such detailed letters, much less a blind and deaf one! She was definitely precocious. Chalk one up for home schooling, too!
This material is really thrilling me and turning out amazingly well so far. Great reading!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Tricia suggested we might leave off reciting reader's names in subsequent sections:
"Helen's letters are read by Victoria Neely, narration and editorial comments by Wayne Cooke".
Some soloists add their names to each file, others leave it off, so it's traditionally "readers choice".
I'd like to hear from both Wayne and Victoria on this. What's your preference? It will have to be both or neither, of course. :?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

(I have section 3 queued for PL - will try to get to it this weekend. Mon morning absolute latest)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Way to go, Michele! Looking forward to how it all turns out. :clap:

Helen's letters from section 5 are ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/letters05_vn_helenkeller_128kb.mp3

One thing to note at 6:32: There's a bit of editorial commentary in one of Helen's letters ("Miss Fuller gave Helen Keller her first lesson in articulation. See Chapter IV, Speech"). I went ahead and read it, but I'm pointing it out in case that part should be read by Wayne.
msfry wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:18 pm Tricia suggested we might leave off reciting reader's names in subsequent sections:
"Helen's letters are read by Victoria Neely, narration and editorial comments by Wayne Cooke".
Some soloists add their names to each file, others leave it off, so it's traditionally "readers choice".
I'd like to hear from both Wayne and Victoria on this. What's your preference? It will have to be both or neither, of course. :?
Thanks for asking! Since we'll be credited in at least the first section, I'm okay with either option.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I'd like to hear from both Wayne and Victoria on this. What's your preference? It will have to be both or neither, of course.

Well, Michele, I guess it is up to you as I don't have a preference either way also.
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teabender wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:58 pm One thing to note at 6:32: There's a bit of editorial commentary in one of Helen's letters ("Miss Fuller gave Helen Keller her first lesson in articulation. See Chapter IV, Speech"). I went ahead and read it, but I'm pointing it out in case that part should be read by Wayne.
Yes, Wayne should read it and if you run across any more editorial comments that I missed, please let us know.

NOTE: "See Chapter IV, Speech" refers to Part 3 of the book, which I plan to BC next. So, Wayne, how about you say "See Chapter IV, Speech, in Part III of this book)"

III: A SUPPLEMENTARY ACCOUNT OF HELEN KELLER'S LIFE AND EDUCATION
CHAPTER I. The Writing of the Book
CHAPTER II. PERSONALITY
CHAPTER III. EDUCATION
CHAPTER IV. SPEECH
CHAPTER V. LITERARY STYLE

Beginning with Section 4, I say we leave off reciting the reader's names. We'll add them back into the Outro in the last section.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

msfry wrote: January 16th, 2022, 8:14 am
Teabender wrote: January 15th, 2022, 8:58 pm One thing to note at 6:32: There's a bit of editorial commentary in one of Helen's letters ("Miss Fuller gave Helen Keller her first lesson in articulation. See Chapter IV, Speech"). I went ahead and read it, but I'm pointing it out in case that part should be read by Wayne.
Yes, Wayne should read it and if you run across any more editorial comments that I missed, please let us know.

NOTE: "See Chapter IV, Speech" refers to Part 3 of the book, which I plan to BC next. So, Wayne, how about you say "See Chapter IV, Speech, in Part III of this book)"

III: A SUPPLEMENTARY ACCOUNT OF HELEN KELLER'S LIFE AND EDUCATION
CHAPTER I. The Writing of the Book
CHAPTER II. PERSONALITY
CHAPTER III. EDUCATION
CHAPTER IV. SPEECH
CHAPTER V. LITERARY STYLE

Beginning with Section 4, I say we leave off reciting the reader's names. We'll add them back into the Outro in the last section.
:thumbs:
Wayne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

msfry wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:11 pm Section 3 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storyofmylife2letters_03_keller_128kb.mp3 19:32

It is amazing to me that any child of 8 could write such detailed letters, much less a blind and deaf one! She was definitely precocious. Chalk one up for home schooling, too!
This material is really thrilling me and turning out amazingly well so far. Great reading!
Section 3 is very nicely done, also. :) Everything in proper order, and all.

The only PL Note is another incidental one: If you decide to leave off the voice credit portion and want to clip it out of this section, it's at 0:22-0:29.

And yes - the precociousness of the letter matter is remarkable. I was thinking that it must have been equal parts a highly intelligent mind and the limiting of her entire universe to the words and the mental mapping that she learned. astonishing, really!
~Lynette * -
msfry

Post by msfry »

LCaulkins wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:05 am
The only PL Note is another incidental one: If you decide to leave off the voice credit portion and want to clip it out of this section, it's at 0:22-0:29.

And yes - the precociousness of the letter matter is remarkable. I was thinking that it must have been equal parts a highly intelligent mind and the limiting of her entire universe to the words and the mental mapping that she learned. astonishing, really!
I thought I'd just leave the plug in one more time. :mrgreen:
And wait til you hear 4 and 5. Astonishinger and astonishinger! Helen's natural sweetness and graciousness of expression, no doubt opened many doors. Who could resist her. This aspect was not conveyed in the movie at all.

But shucks, any kid could write gushy thank you notes to poets and inventers they like. Right? :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lynette and Wayne,

Victoria and I watched this movie while working on Part 1 of this project. I thought you might want to watch it, and I found the Youtube link to a free version of the original movie: 1 hour, 42 minutes
The Miracle Worker
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

thanks!
~Lynette * -
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 4 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/storyofmylife2letters_04_keller_128kb.mp3 19:51

I had one PL Note for Victoria in pronouncing "mon beau chien" (my beautiful dog), but have apparently misfiled it. Let me recreate it here:

mon as in mon-key, (with a soft to silent n)
Beau rhymes with sew
Chien is two syllables, sort of she-an (soft to silent n)

I can't tell you the time now. Lynnet can cite the spot when she PL's, and maybe describe the phonetics better.