Greetings from San Francisco!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
J.C.-KZSU

Post by J.C.-KZSU »

Hi there,
I saw the opportunity for doing this and found it to be a perfect match, as I host a radio show (that I've be doing for 13 years.) So, there's equipment and time available to help out!
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, J.C.! There are a fair number of us old radioheads out here. I spent a fair bit of time down on the left hand side of the dial myself.

This is actually a great platform for those of us who've left the business. Once it gets in your blood, you never really shake that radio jones, do you?

I generally recommend the short stuff to begin with like Aesop's Fables or the Weekly Poetry Piece - both of which are sitting in the Readers Wanted: Short Works thread. It's not a bad idea for you either. It's more like the "on-and-gone" we're used to. Once you get the hang of this, dive right into the bigger collaborative roles (they're in Readers Wanted: Books) but unless you're doing voiceover narrations this isn't like the kind of thing you're used to. But once you do a brief piece, you wrap your mind around it pretty quick and it's just like you've been here for years. A word of caution though: don't go over the top. We've developed an ethos of sounding like we're reading comfortably around the fire and though you're welcome to let it rip every now and then, you'll find that "calm and collected" works best in the long run. These readings run long and it's tough to keep up too high an intensity level for an hour or more at a stretch.

Take the sound right to the edge of clipping; a nice loud take makes the post-processing a lot easier. Lay down the track, then go back with the editing software and lop out all the re-dos and submit the thing as a 128/44100 MP3 file. The answers to most of the basic questions are here in the LibriVox Wiki:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/

Any answers you can't find there will come pretty quickly if you ask. We're a pretty friendly and vocal group here. Glad to have you among us - it's always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yay, another Californian!

Welcome to Librivox, JC! Make yourself at home and just yell if you have any questions :)

Happy reading,
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Furthermore... Yay, another Bay Area person!

Welcome to Librivox - I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

-Catharine
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

Welcome to Librivox
I'm quite new here so just wandering around, still looking at the decor, trying to grow accustomed to the sea of strangers around me.

BTW - got to visit San Francisco last year and really loved it.
The cable cars, the marvellous mix of buildings, the bay, the bridge and, of course, Alcatraz casts a brooding atmosphere over the edge of the city.