COMPLETE: The Critique of Practical Reason by Kant - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi TTM

Just realised this when I was going to do my section...

The intro in the linked texts is not right. You have:
Section 14 of THE CRITIQUE OF PRACTICAL REASON by Immanuel Kant; translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott
FIRST PART.
ELEMENTS OF PURE PRACTICAL REASON.
BOOK II. Dialectic of Pure Practical Reason.
CHAPTER II. Of the Dialectic of Pure Reason in defining the Conception of the “Summum Bonum”.
III. Of the Primacy of Pure Practical Reason in its Union with the Speculative Reason.

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
Should be:
Section [number] of The Critique of Practical Reason. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. - [Read by xxx] - THE CRITIQUE OF PRACTICAL REASON by Immanuel Kant; translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott.

FIRST PART. ELEMENTS OF PURE PRACTICAL REASON.
CHAPTER II. Of the Dialectic of Pure Reason in defining the Conception of the “Summum Bonum”.
III. Of the Primacy of Pure Practical Reason in its Union with the Speculative Reason.
What to do? I know it's a hassle to change all the text files...
Last edited by Gesine on December 28th, 2007, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Andrea-
Wow! That was fast!! Image

Thank YOU!
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Gesine wrote:Hi TTM

Just realised this when I was going to do my section...

The intro in the linked texts is not right. You have:
Section 14 of THE CRITIQUE OF PRACTICAL REASON by Immanuel Kant; translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott
FIRST PART.
ELEMENTS OF PURE PRACTICAL REASON.

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
Should be:
Section [number] of The Critique of Practical Reason. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. - [Read by xxx] - THE CRITIQUE OF PRACTICAL REASON by Immanuel Kant; translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott.

FIRST PART. ELEMENTS OF PURE PRACTICAL REASON.
What to do? I know it's a hassle to change all the text files...
Gesine,

As a lowly BC, I'm not privy to the whys and wherefores of the disclaimers beyond what I've read on the forums. Based on the decisions made during the recording of the Critique of Pure Reason, which revolved around the insane structural complexity of the work, I decided to modify the intro as you see in the GoogleDocs. It is but a minor PITA to change all of the GoogleDocs, but should be done sooner than later IF it is really important. I feel that while there are good reasons for the standard disclaimer to be in the form that you indicate, for this text I think more would be lost than gained by changing the current structure of the disclaimer to the "standard" structure.

As the Slave of Duty, I am ready to change them all if necessary. Please let me know.

Thanks,
TTM
[color=darkblue][size=92][i]Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.[/i] -- Henry James[/size][/color]
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

I have a question...

In section 02, there is an asterisk with a footnote. It is set up in the window to be read after the end of the paragraph. How should I denote the beginning and end of the footnote so that the listener know to what the footnote refers?

Thanks.
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Ransom wrote:I have a question...

In section 02, there is an asterisk with a footnote. It is set up in the window to be read after the end of the paragraph. How should I denote the beginning and end of the footnote so that the listener know to what the footnote refers?

Thanks.
Ransom,

I'd recommend reading the footnote at the end of the sentence in which the asterisk resides. Start by saying "Footnote"...read the footnote...then say "end footnote". Then go on to the next sentence.

Thanks for asking, TTM
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi TTM, historically we had the LV disclaimer first, then the title, author, and section title. The latest forum discussions about the intros revealed that this wasn't so good for people with players without screens, which is how the disclaimer evolved into the present form, which has a 'pre-intro' before the disclaimer, mentioning just the section/chapter number and the book title. The reasoning behind this was that people without screens on the players wouldn't have to listen to the whole disclaimer before finding out whether they had the right section.

In your intro, you have the section in the beginning, which takes care of that, but then the title sequence is separated from the text by the disclaimer.

However, having said all this - if this was a conscious decision that's fine; I just wanted to point it out in case it was an oversight. You can certainly leave it as it is; I didn't want to interfere at all (though I did. Sorry. ;)).

I'll record my section now! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

Great! I'm on it. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

~ Ransom
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

Ah... I just looked again. The footnote is the middle of the sentence, and reading it there breaks up the logic of the sentence. But if I put it at the end of the sentence, the listener might not know to what part of the sentence it refers.

So... I said "footnote here" where the asterisk is (in the middle of the sentence, after the words "theoretical principles"), then finished the sentence. At the end of the sentence, I said "footnote on theoretical principles" and read the footnote. Then I said, "end footnote" and continued on.

Is that an acceptable way to handle it?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Section 14 - let me know if anything needs fixing.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/200712/critiquepracticalreason_14_kant.mp3

14:43
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Ransom wrote:Ah... I just looked again. The footnote is the middle of the sentence, and reading it there breaks up the logic of the sentence. But if I put it at the end of the sentence, the listener might not know to what part of the sentence it refers.

So... I said "footnote here" where the asterisk is (in the middle of the sentence, after the words "theoretical principles"), then finished the sentence. At the end of the sentence, I said "footnote on theoretical principles" and read the footnote. Then I said, "end footnote" and continued on.

Is that an acceptable way to handle it?
Perfect!!

Thanks, ttm
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Gesine wrote:Section 14 - let me know if anything needs fixing.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/200712/critiquepracticalreason_14_kant.mp3

14:43
Gesine,

I'd love to have Heart of Texas let you know...Can you enter her in as dedicated PLer? It took a bit of arm twisting, which is quite a challenge when it comes to Texans :wink:

Thanks,
ttm
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oh, I didn't realize... :P I can stick her in, sorry.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
eric_m_allen

Post by eric_m_allen »

I would like to do section 10, please.
http://mysite.verizon.net/uuallens
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

eric_m_allen wrote:I would like to do section 10, please.
EMA--You're on!

Thanks, TTM
Ticktockman

Post by Ticktockman »

Caeristhiona wrote:Oh, I didn't realize... :P I can stick her in, sorry.
No problemo...I'd just "spoke" with H of T after the first file came in earlier today.

Happy New Year!

YHS, TTM