COMPLETE: The Bolshevik Myth (Diary 1920-1922) by Alexander Berkman -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vmead

Post by vmead »

Kierkegaard wrote: December 26th, 2021, 1:07 pm Could I have chapter 37, early days of 1921
Thanks.
You can definitely have 37! What would you like your name in the catalog to be? It could be your real full name, a pseudonym, or even your username.
Currently volunteering for my senior project. Expecting to graduate with a BS in Information and Library Science, Dec. '21!
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Jonatoner wrote: December 27th, 2021, 11:35 am ... several spots of external microphone noise and a radiator clang has been removed. I tried to edit the spots you pointed out but many I could not. It seems that most of those spots were explosive 'p's which I think is part of my New York way of speaking. I'll be more conscious of these from now on. Hope this upload is better.
Hi Jonathan, This upload is a definite PL OK :thumbs:
If you wish, you could explore the Effect > Compress function of Audacity, it does a good job of smoothing the loud peaks.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kierkegaard

Post by Kierkegaard »

vmead wrote: December 27th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Kierkegaard wrote: December 26th, 2021, 1:07 pm Could I have chapter 37, early days of 1921
Thanks.
You can definitely have 37! What would you like your name in the catalog to be? It could be your real full name, a pseudonym, or even your username.
Could you put Calvin Osborn for the catalog
ObscureAudioHistory

Post by ObscureAudioHistory »

I can take 22 First Days in Kharkov
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Hi Mark

Excellent. Will look into the effect. to smooth out the recordings.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

ObscureAudioHistory wrote: December 27th, 2021, 10:23 pm I can take 22 First Days in Kharkov
Hi, ObscureAudioHistory, and welcome to the project!
Please complete your 1-min test and give us your catalog name (as you wish your recordings to be credited). The section is waiting for you!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I will give an update on how I am going with my extremely long chapter: The Latvian Border. I have recorded and edited the first two parts. That leaves me on track to finish it within the two allotted months. I have tried my best to imitate the Russian samples that Mark Chulsky provided. For some of the harder ones I had to conclude that I could never get them 100%; sometimes 80% of the way there was the best that I could honestly do. Russian has sounds and language patterns that are not used in English!
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
ObscureAudioHistory

Post by ObscureAudioHistory »

chulsky wrote: December 29th, 2021, 7:57 am
ObscureAudioHistory wrote: December 27th, 2021, 10:23 pm I can take 22 First Days in Kharkov
Hi, ObscureAudioHistory, and welcome to the project!
Please complete your 1-min test and give us your catalog name (as you wish your recordings to be credited). The section is waiting for you!
Here you go
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_obscureaudiohistory.mp3
and my username is what I go by.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

ObscureAudioHistory wrote: December 29th, 2021, 5:30 pm
chulsky wrote: December 29th, 2021, 7:57 am Please complete your 1-min test...
Here you go
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_obscureaudiohistory.mp3
and my username is what I go by.
Sorry, Obscure, I like the sample, but the test process is a bit more formal. You should have received instructions when you registered.
Please create a topic in the "Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here" forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and post your recording there. There are many samples in that forum. Jo could answer your questions better than I, if you have any.
Looking forward to listening to your section!
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

lightcrystal wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm I will give an update on how I am going ... I could never get them 100%; sometimes 80% of the way there was the best that I could honestly do. Russian has sounds and language patterns that are not used in English!
It does look like a long chapter! Unfortunately it's too late to break it up: the section numbers below would get skewed.
If you wish, submit the parts you have recorded, and I could give you the feedback on them, but really, you are not expected to sound like a native Russian komissar. :D Don't worry about an accent, there are quite a few LV narrators who try new languages now and then, we've got to used to them. :D
Looking forward to hearing you!
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

chulsky wrote: December 29th, 2021, 7:46 pm
lightcrystal wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:08 pm I will give an update on how I am going ... I could never get them 100%; sometimes 80% of the way there was the best that I could honestly do. Russian has sounds and language patterns that are not used in English!
It does look like a long chapter! Unfortunately it's too late to break it up: the section numbers below would get skewed.
If you wish, submit the parts you have recorded, and I could give you the feedback on them, but really, you are not expected to sound like a native Russian komissar. :D Don't worry about an accent, there are quite a few LV narrators who try new languages now and then, we've got to used to them. :D
Looking forward to hearing you!
This will sound hilarious. But when I try to put some Russian accent emphasis into these words like Nagan or Drozdov I sound like someone from an east European country like Yugoslavia. :mrgreen: I used to watch football in the days of yore, when people stood up to watch, and I often stood next to an old man who shouted out words in Serb-Croat. Maybe that's the influence! I was really young and he would kick a football to me. Then he would shake my hand and say "don't shake like tis, shake like TIS!" One day in the early 90's he vanished. People told me "he's gone back to his home country to die". That was exactly when the Bosnian wars broke out; I don't know what ever happened to him. In his 70's if he had been caught up in it it would have been very bad for him.

I am happy to keep going with it. It's an interesting chapter- how brutal the counter-revolutionists were. I think that the last two parts will be a bit easier; I have got a bit used to doing it!
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

lightcrystal wrote: December 29th, 2021, 9:22 pm ...when I try to put some Russian accent emphasis into these words like Nagan or Drozdov I sound like someone from an east European country like Yugoslavia.
This reminds me of my early weeks in the US. We kept the TV on to get used to the language, and of course couldn't understand much. Suddenly we started to understand better -- there was a commercial with an actor playing a Russian dude :-)
... how brutal the counter-revolutionists were.
Wait till you get to the revolutionists / CheKa cruelty, if not in this section then in the others. :(
Kierkegaard

Post by Kierkegaard »

Chapter 37: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bolshevikmyth_37_berkman_128kb.mp3 (09:36)

If you have any suggestions or if I made any errors in pronunciations please tell me, this was my first recording.
also, should I include footnotes, and if so, where?

Calvin Osborn
elibishop

Post by elibishop »

I'd like to do Chapter 15, "Back in Petrograd."
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

elibishop wrote: January 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm I'd like to do Chapter 15, "Back in Petrograd."
Enjoy the section!