Satires, Epistles, and Ars Poetica by Horace (Translation by H.R. Fairclough)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KDTaylor

Post by KDTaylor »

I understand Librivox has already completed recordings of the Satires of Juvenal. I think it only proper that we now record the Satires of Horace, as well as his Epistles and Ars Poetica, as translated by H.R. Fairclough (1862-1938). I have the book in hardcover (a 1936 edition of the Loeb Classical Library), and would be happy to undertake the project myself (so long as I can get the technology -- my laptop -- to "cooperate").

Would this be something of interest to others?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

An edition copyright in 1936 would not be in the public domain in the U.S. Also if possible, an online text is preferred as it is easier for a prooflistener who wishes to read along with the text. As of Jan 1, books published in 1926 or before will be public domain for Librivox.

However, before you think about starting a project, please record a 1-minute test, post it in Listeners Wanted to confirm that all the technical settings are correct. Then it is recommended that you read a chapter in a group project or submit a short poem or story to one of the collections. This way you will get a chance to see how we do things before posting a project (solo or group) of your own. Meanwhile you can see if you can find a public domain text of this book online. :)
Jo
KDTaylor

Post by KDTaylor »

Thank you! If my neophyte status wasn't obvious before, I suppose that it is now! :D But I've made some important discoveries in the last 24 hours. Chief among these is the fact that there is indeed a Gutenberg text for a (presumably public domain) translation of said Satires. See:

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/5419/pg5419.html

I have also learned that, although the ancient Roman poet Quintus Horatius Flaccus is predominantly known in the Anglo-American world as Horace, on Librivox he is referred to exclusively by his full name. That actually makes a good deal of sense, especially considering Librivox welcomes readers (and listeners) from a variety of languages.

That being said, as far as I can tell, the Satires and Epistles of Quintus Horatius Flaccus have not yet been recorded in English for Librivox.

For what it's worth, in the meantime I have done the 1-minute test on Audacity on my laptop, and although my voice seems to be getting picked up perfectly well by the microphone I use, right now there is a difficult-to-describe sort of whirring sound, somewhat akin to white noise, in the background. I realize, of course, that we are all working as amateurs here, but I would like to get as close to professional quality as I can. And for now, I am not yet there. (Not sure it is even possible with my older-than-the-hills HP laptop.)

Anyway, I will proceed with the aim of getting ready to undertake this myself as soon as possible, but if someone else is ready and beats me to it, I will appreciate their willingness and gladly defer to them.

Thank you very much for the input! :D

KDT
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, that Gutenberg text is a good one, and is public domain everywhere. :thumbs: This is the better link to use, though: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5419

Go ahead and upload the test you have and post it to Listeners Wanted. That way, you can get some help in trying to deal with your whirring noise, instead of trying to figure things out all by your lonesome. :wink:
KDTaylor

Post by KDTaylor »

I believe I have succeeded in eliminating the background noise! Thank you for your helpful input!

If you would care to listen to my 1-Minute Test on the "Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here" page, that would be wonderful.

Many thanks to you, again!

KDT
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

KDTaylor wrote: December 28th, 2021, 9:42 pm Thank you! If my neophyte status wasn't obvious before, I suppose that it is now! :D But I've made some important discoveries in the last 24 hours. Chief among these is the fact that there is indeed a Gutenberg text for a (presumably public domain) translation of said Satires. See:

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/5419/pg5419.html

I have also learned that, although the ancient Roman poet Quintus Horatius Flaccus is predominantly known in the Anglo-American world as Horace, on Librivox he is referred to exclusively by his full name. That actually makes a good deal of sense, especially considering Librivox welcomes readers (and listeners) from a variety of languages.

That being said, as far as I can tell, the Satires and Epistles of Quintus Horatius Flaccus have not yet been recorded in English for Librivox.

For what it's worth, in the meantime I have done the 1-minute test on Audacity on my laptop, and although my voice seems to be getting picked up perfectly well by the microphone I use, right now there is a difficult-to-describe sort of whirring sound, somewhat akin to white noise, in the background. I realize, of course, that we are all working as amateurs here, but I would like to get as close to professional quality as I can. And for now, I am not yet there. (Not sure it is even possible with my older-than-the-hills HP laptop.)

Anyway, I will proceed with the aim of getting ready to undertake this myself as soon as possible, but if someone else is ready and beats me to it, I will appreciate their willingness and gladly defer to them.

Thank you very much for the input! :D

KDT
Hello, and welcome to Librivox

Just to clarify the situation of his name - he is not exclusively referred to as the full name, it is just that, for authors whose names are traditionally translated (such as ancient Roman, ancient Greek or even Early Modern authors), we have one main name (which is the original language name) and all the others are added as additional names, connected to the same entry in the database - otherwise we would have to manually add a new book to all the dozens of names of the same author in the different languages. Of course, the additional names are added if and when a translation of the author in that language is completed. So, for example, if you look up in our catalog Vergilius, Vergil, Virgil, Vergilio, Virgilio - all of them exist, but they take you to one and the same entry, "Publius Vergilius Maro". All that to say that, if you wish to read just "Horace" when recording, that is fine. :)
Leni
=================