Request for Info on Recording Programs for the Blind

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello all!
I want to start my first solo project as soon as I have time for it (I guess in a mounth or so). However, before I start, I want to know about recording programs which blind people can use. I'll be so glad to know more about it. Hope to hear from you soon:
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Stav, it might be worth editing the subject line of your first post to attract the attention of our other blind readers.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Planish

Post by Planish »

Peter Why wrote:Stav, it might be worth editing the subject line of your first post to attract the attention of our other blind readers.
Something like "Request for Info on Audio Recording Software for the Blind"?
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

stav have you tried audacity? i have no idea how accessible it is, but it's the default standard for librivox.
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello,
I, too, am a blind person and have difficulties in dealing with Audacity. The basic functions, such as starting and stopping recording just cannot be accessed through screen readers. So I am not making any recording for this time.
Is there any other recording software for Windows(Since most of screen readers only run on Windows operating system) which blind people can access with ease? I really would like to be a productive contributor, not just a mere wanderer on the Forums.
Best regards,
Eunah Choi.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

rita1075 wrote:Hello,
I, too, am a blind person and have difficulties in dealing with Audacity. The basic functions, such as starting and stopping recording just cannot be accessed through screen readers. So I am not making any recording for this time.
Is there any other recording software for Windows(Since most of screen readers only run on Windows operating system) which blind people can access with ease? I really would like to be a productive contributor, not just a mere wanderer on the Forums.
Best regards,
Eunah Choi.
Many ways of being a productive contributor - we have lots of people here who never record, but rather help with proof-listening, answering questions on the forum, greeting newbies, etc. All very important parts of the project, without which LibriVox couldn't be so successful.

Having said that, of course I hope you'll find software that works for you if you'd like to record as well. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

There are already preset keyboard shortcuts.

The space bar starts and stops the recording - I use this all the time.

Ctrl c is copy

Ctrl v is paste

Ctrl x is cut

Ctrl z is undo < I use this a lot too!

Ctrl a is select all

I hope this helps

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw