Apology, by Tertullian missing text

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
keyway

Post by keyway »

Book: Apology
Author: Tertullian, translated by Charles Dodgson
Reader: David Ronald
https://librivox.org/apology-by-tertullian/
Section 1
apology_01_tertullian_64kb.mp3
error occurs in downloaded zip, individual file, streamed online; also four separate copies located on YouTube including one posted by LibriVox Audiobooks
error consists of missing material: the recording skips from the bottom of page 1 to the top of page 4 of the source text, starting page 4 with the second syllable of a hyphenated word, thus omitting all material on pages 2 and 3, 648 words in all.
occurs at 1:04 of the recording.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Note: The text linked on the catalog page appears to be missing two pages.

The missing text is shown below (plus a few words at the beginning and end) taken from this alternate source https://tertullian.org/lfc/LFC10-06_apologeticum.htm
because she feeleth no wonder at her condition. She knoweth that she liveth a stranger upon earth, that among aliens she easily findeth foes; but that she hath her birth, her home, her hope, her favour, and her worth in the heavens. One thing meanwhile she earnestly desireth, that she be not condemned unknown. If she be heard, what loss cometh thereby to the laws, supreme within their own dominion? Will not their power boast the more in this, that they will condemn Truth even when she hath been heard? But if they condemn her unheard, besides the ill-repute of injustice, they will merit also the suspicion of a certain consciousness, as being, namely, unwilling to hear that, which when heard, they could not condemn. This therefore we lay before you as the first argument for the injustice of your hatred towards the name of Christians. Which injustice the same plea, namely, ignorance, which seemeth to excuse it, aggravateth and convicteth. For what more unjust than that men should hate that of which they know nothing, even if the thing deserve their hatred? For then doth it deserve, when it be known whether it do deserve. But when knowledge of the desert be wanting, whence is the justice of the hatred maintained? which ought to be approved, not by the event, but by previous conviction! When then men hate for this reason, because they know not what manner of thing that, which they hate, is, why may it not be of such a sort as that they ought not to hate it? Thus from either point we prove either against them, that they are both ignorant, in that they hate, and hate unjustly, in that they are ignorant. It is an evidence of that ignorance, which, while it is made the excuse, is the condemnation of injustice, when all, who aforetime hated because they were ignorant what it was which they hated, as soon as they cease to be ignorant, cease also to hate. From being such, they become Christians, to wit from conviction, and begin to hate what they were, and to profess what they hated, and are as numerous as indeed we are publicly declared to be. Men cry out that the state is beset, that the Christians are in their fields, in their forts, in their islands. They mourn, as for a loss, that every sex, age, condition, and now even rank is going over to this sect. And yet they do not by this very means advance their minds to the idea of some good therein hidden: they allow not themselves to conjecture more rightly, they choose not to examine more closely. Here alone is the curiosity of man dull: they love to be ignorant, where others rejoice to know. How much more would Anacharsis have condemned these, the uninformed judging the informed, than the unmusical the musical! They had rather be ignorant, because they already hate. Thus they determine in the outset that that which they know not, is such as, if they knew, they could not hate; since if no due cause of hatred be found, surely it were best to cease to hate unjustly; but if it be clear that it is deserved, not only is their hatred nothing diminished, but stronger ground is gained for persevering in it, even with the sanction of justice itself. 'But,' saith one, 'it is not therefore at once determined to be good because it converteth many, for how many are remoulded to evil! how many are deserters to the worse cause!' Who denieth it? Nevertheless, that which is really evil not even those, whom it carrieth away, dare to defend as a good. Nature hath cast over every evil either fear or shame. Finally, evil-doers delight in hiding themselves; shun appearing; are bewildered when discovered; being accused deny; not even when tortured, readily or always confess; certainly mourn when condemned; sum up against themselves
Jo
dronald

Post by dronald »

Too bad. Good point made by Tertullian.

I'll find my old files and add this in if needed. I have upgraded my mic since then so it will be an obvious change.

Let me know if something like this is worth the remedy.
keyway

Post by keyway »

My thoughts are that it would be worth the effort. It's it's roughly 4 minutes (2 min or so per page) of added material. One way to minimize the difference would be to start a new recording at the very beginning and rerecord the first minute--12 lines, adding the missing pages, and the switch over on page 4 where there is a chapter break after 14 lines. That would entail about 5+ minutes total.
The source link I used is: https://archive.org/details/tertullianapolo01tertgoog
If you do add the missing material, perhaps the source text link could be updated to a copy with the missing pages.

BTW, after getting into it, I found your read quite helpful while following the text. Thank you for choosing this title.
Last edited by keyway on December 18th, 2021, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dronald

Post by dronald »

keyway wrote: December 18th, 2021, 5:31 pm My thoughts are that it would be worth the effort. It's it's roughly 4 minutes (2 min or so per page) of added material. One way to minimize the difference would be to start a new recording at the very beginning and rerecord the first minute--12 lines, adding the missing pages, and the switch over on page 4 where there is a chapter break after 14 lines. That would entail about 5+ minutes total.
The source link I used is: https://archive.org/details/tertullianapolo01tertgoog

BTW, after getting into it, I found your read quite helpful while following the text. Thank you for choosing this title.
So glad you're enjoying it!

I'll wait for the mods though.

There may be a reason it's not in the text. Afaik we only read from the text and don't add things from other places. On-top of that, I'm not really sure how something like this gets fixed. I'm definitely up for reading if needed though.
keyway

Post by keyway »

It appears to be an Internet Archive sourced problem depending on the original posting library. It seems the version posted by Harvard lacks pages 2 and 3, while the posts by Google and New York Public Library include them.

Harvard post (missing pages 2&3): https://archive.org/details/tertullian00tertgoog/page/n10/mode/2up
Google post: https://archive.org/details/tertullian00tertgoog/page/n32/mode/2up
NYPL post: https://archive.org/details/tertullianapolo00tertgoog/page/2/mode/2up
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

In an instance such as this where there are pages missing, it is acceptable to insert the missing text from another source of the same book. It just needs to be the same translation and the same publisher and publication date.
Jo