COMPLETE: Cecilia: Memoirs of an Heiress by F. Burney - mla

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Cecilia: Memoirs of an Heiress by Fanny Burney.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: http://librivox.org/cecilia-by-fanny-burney

The plot of Cecilia revolves around the heroine, Cecilia Beverley, whose inheritance from her uncle comes with the stipulation that she find a husband who will accept her name. This proves impossible, and she gives up her fortune to marry for love.

Jane Austen referred to Cecilia and other novels in her novel, Northanger Abbey: “'And what are you reading, Miss — ?' 'Oh! It is only a novel!' replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. 'It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda'; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best–chosen language. The title of Austen's Pride and Prejudice may have been inspired by a passage at the end of Cecilia: “remember: if to pride and prejudice you owe your miseries, so wonderfully is good and evil balanced, that to pride and prejudice you will also owe their termination.” (Summary adapted from Wikipedia by Karen Merline)

Wiki Link to "Cecilia": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_%28novel%29
Wiki Link to Frances Burney: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Burney
  1. How to claim a part:
    To find a section to record, look at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are available. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 to 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: June 30, 2009 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Book I: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6346
    Book II: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7146
    Book III: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7152
    But please read only from the "Link to Text" links in the window below.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

MAGIC WINDOW:

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Volume [number], Chapter [number] of Cecilia. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Cecilia: Memoirs of an Heiress, by Fanny Burney. [Volume]. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Cecilia: Memoirs of an Heiress, by Fanny Burney."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    cecilia_###_burney.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number: (e.g. cecilia_001_burney.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: 001 - [Bk. I Chapter 01: A Journey]
    Artist: Fanny Burney
    Album: Cecilia: Memoirs of an Heiress

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloging stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mla - amethysta
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by miss stav on January 17th, 2008, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Here I am to MC for you, Stav. Would you like the separate files for chapters?

(The Magic Window will get set up as soon as I get your reply.)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you for mcing this project.
Yes, I would like a separate file for each chapter.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Alright, working on the separate files now -- and as soon as I get them done, I will stick them in the Magic Window, dress up the first post, and we will be in business!
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

k, Magic Window added -- but I'm still working on the text links, lol. So if anyone wants a chapter, the first 11 are available! :P
-- Jeffrey Rowland
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Caet,
Thank you so much for updating the magic window. I hope the work with the text is not to hard. Tell me if you need anny help.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Alright, it worked out to be only 102 sections. The text for each individual chapter is linked in the Magic Window.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

So we are all set for readers. Please claim chapters!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This is looking good - the links to the text are a great help!

As you've got over 99 sections, though, you need to use three digits for the section numbers in filenames and ID3 tags, otherwise they won't sort properly. (10, 100, 101, 102, 11, 12...)

David
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

David: She's using the internal Vol. and chapter numbers, and they don't go over 100. I vigilante fixed the first post hoping to make it clearer.
ettelocin

Post by ettelocin »

hey all! can i get sections 1 though 7? thanks!! yay!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay ettelocin,
Chapters 1 to 7 are yours. Well come to this project. Let me know if you need anything.
Stav.
Cori

Post by Cori »

The filename is excellently short, though, if the file number is used, like David says ... instead of cecilia_Vol1_01_burney.mp3 we'd have just cecilia_001_burney.mp3 ... how about it, Stav..?

(That V would need to be lower case if it really has to be kept. But I do think it'll be less confusing to leave the Volume numbers to the ID3 tags.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I think that it can be better if we name it "Cecilia_001_burney.mp3". I think that it would be better for the listener with that stile of naming files.
Stav.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I agree. I'll fix the first post.