[COMPLETE] GROUP - Civilisation: Its Cause and Cure, and Other Essays, by Edward Carpenter - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sinkowski wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:31 am Sorry for the delay folks:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3 20:42
Thank you. You're a pleasure to listen to.

However, all four files are below LV's standard range of 86-92 decibels. They range from 84.4 to 85.2. Please amplify.

You can check your own recording before submitting it by using Checker, which is a small validation program you can download. You just drag and drop your mp3 into it and it gives you a pass, or lists errors in your files. That's how I got the decibel readings for yours. See Checker in the wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

No text notes on sec. 1

Sec. 2:
1:15 text, word; heard, world
5:10 text, gradation; heard, graduation
18:29 phrase omitted: "And as to the treatment of a disease"

Sec. 3:
8:49 the word "accordingly" is cut off in the middle
25:15 text, dominion; heard, domination

Sec. 4:
:25-:26 clicking type noises between intro and start of text
3:34 omitted phrase "and with the greatest advantage"
7:05 text, appropriated; heard, appropriately
10:23 see if you can smoothe that out or rerecord a phrase or two around it to insert and substitute
16:27 text, spirit; heard, part

I see these are your first LV recordings. Pro tip: always make corrections starting with the latest time and proceeding backwards to the earliest so that the times given by your PL don't change.

Also, I don't know if you finished these all at the same time, but it works well to submit each section as you finish it, making it easier on your PL and her workflow :)

Upload corrected recordings with the same file names and post in the forum that you've done that.

Great start, and welcome to LibriVox!

Cheers, VERLA
Sinkowski

Post by Sinkowski »

vviera wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 10:14 pm
Sinkowski wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 7:31 am Sorry for the delay folks:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3 20:42
Thank you. You're a pleasure to listen to.

However, all four files are below LV's standard range of 86-92 decibels. They range from 84.4 to 85.2. Please amplify.

You can check your own recording before submitting it by using Checker, which is a small validation program you can download. You just drag and drop your mp3 into it and it gives you a pass, or lists errors in your files. That's how I got the decibel readings for yours. See Checker in the wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

No text notes on sec. 1

Sec. 2:
1:15 text, word; heard, world
5:10 text, gradation; heard, graduation
18:29 phrase omitted: "And as to the treatment of a disease"

Sec. 3:
8:49 the word "accordingly" is cut off in the middle
25:15 text, dominion; heard, domination

Sec. 4:
:25-:26 clicking type noises between intro and start of text
3:34 omitted phrase "and with the greatest advantage"
7:05 text, appropriated; heard, appropriately
10:23 see if you can smoothe that out or rerecord a phrase or two around it to insert and substitute
16:27 text, spirit; heard, part

I see these are your first LV recordings. Pro tip: always make corrections starting with the latest time and proceeding backwards to the earliest so that the times given by your PL don't change.

Also, I don't know if you finished these all at the same time, but it works well to submit each section as you finish it, making it easier on your PL and her workflow :)

Upload corrected recordings with the same file names and post in the forum that you've done that.

Great start, and welcome to LibriVox!
Thank you, as I'm still kind of new at this. I ran them through the checker you posted and, indeed, it tells me i am outside of the required range.

Would I just run amplify with -x.xx dB? I am also aware of a "Normalize" option that kind of does the same thing. In any case, do I just play with it until checker says its ok?
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sinkowski wrote: November 27th, 2021, 10:22 am
Thank you, as I'm still kind of new at this. I ran them through the checker you posted and, indeed, it tells me i am outside of the required range.

Would I just run amplify with -x.xx dB? I am also aware of a "Normalize" option that kind of does the same thing. In any case, do I just play with it until checker says its ok?
Hi there -

I'm also pretty new. I haven't used the normalize option, but have had to use amplify a couple of times. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you know, but here are the steps I follow:

1. Save the Audacity file with a different name so you can mess with it without affecting the original. I always do that just in case I screw something up and need to start over.
2. Open file; select all with ctrl+a.
3. From "effect" menu above, choose Amplify.
4. Yes, here you just kind of play with it. You already know the current volumes from my message (or from what you would see yourself, in Checker). Pick a +x.xx value to bring you above the 86 threshold. I wouldn't put any more than necessary to get slightly above 86, because the more you mess with a file, the more it's going to change the original sound. These aren't that far off, so you won't have to add much.
5. Export to mp3 again and see if itwill pass Checker. Sounds like you already know to click the "Information" tab to see the dB level.
6. Listen to a piece of the mp3 to make sure it sounds ok in general. Assuming it does...
7. Upload!

Post again if you have trouble. Someone who knows more about it than I do could give further help.

Thanks! One of the things I've really enjoyed about getting involved with LV is how much I'm learning - been on for 3 months. I love learning to play with new toys :D

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
Sinkowski

Post by Sinkowski »

Thank you for that, it's extremely helpful.

Please see: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_04_carpenter_128kb.mp3 (31:02)

I amended it with your notes, but also applied amplify to it. However, it only let me apply amplify while allowing clipping(which i read somewhere that should be avoided, but again, not sure here). In any case, checker said it's ok, so please let me know if the sound volume as required and i will apply the effect to the rest of the sections.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Sinkowski wrote: November 27th, 2021, 9:15 pm Thank you for that, it's extremely helpful.

Please see: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_04_carpenter_128kb.mp3 (31:02)

I amended it with your notes, but also applied amplify to it. However, it only let me apply amplify while allowing clipping(which i read somewhere that should be avoided, but again, not sure here). In any case, checker said it's ok, so please let me know if the sound volume as required and i will apply the effect to the rest of the sections.
Great! PL OK :thumbs:

Your corrections are really worked in smoothly. I don't think I'd be able to pick them out if I didn't know they were there. In one case ("appropriated"), I listened and thought you'd missed making the correction because it sounded so seamless, then looked again and saw that was actually the right word. Hat's off. That's something I really struggle with, making my voice sound like the same volume/pitch/reading speed, etc. as when I did it the first time so it doesn't sound all stitched in. I'm getting better at that, but you've already got it down.

I didn't know about clipping. I listened to some of the recording just to listen for awhile and it sounded fine. I read more about it in the Audacity manual (URL below). It sounds like the check box is just to protect you from yourself. But in any case, it's your ear that will tell you whether your sound has become distorted, which it hadn't.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/amplify.html

Thanks for getting to these so quickly. When 1-3 are PL OK, we're ready to publish!!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thanks for the quick turnaround!

Just to clarify, did you anything to 4 after I gave it the PL OK last night?

Thanks, I'll definitely do the spot PL on these today.

BTW, I saw this LV recorder had a note in his signature about a YT series he did for LVers who are learning. I am probably going to listen to them all to see what I can learn new.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLycbqtbq47FmglVtWb3FWE7eVosXDlj83

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Good job! Sec. 1-3 PL OK.

Please verify that Sec. 4 wasn't changed again since I gave it PL OK last night.

Also, I looked more at the YouTubes I linked in that Sec. 4 message, and he has one specifically on setting the volume.

Let me know. If no change on Sec. 4, you've completed everything successfully!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
Sinkowski

Post by Sinkowski »

I can confirm that no change on section 4, i merely added it to the upload for completion sake
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Wow! Great! This project is now complete :9: :9: :9:

Thank you, readers, so much for contributing your time and talents to this.

And specially big thanks to Verla for DPL'ing this!!

Look forward to listening to the final result.

kathrinee we are ready for the catalog :thumbs:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

:clap: :clap:
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

This project is complete! Please download and/or listen from the catalog: https://librivox.org/civilisation-its-cause-and-cure-and-other-essays-by-edward-carpenter/

Thank you, all, for your work to bring this work into the catalog :clap: :clap:
Kathrine