~SOLO Williwaw by Gore Vidal - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Williwaw, by Gore Vidal (1925 - 2012)

Volunteers outside the USA: Gore Vidal died in 2012. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
The story is set on a U.S. ship in the Arctic waters around the Aleutians in the Pacific Ocean in the middle of the local storm season during World War II. The nervousness and tension of the crew and a handful of passengers at the approach of the williwaw is stretched to breaking point when a murder is committed on the ship. - Wikipedia, 11/8/2021 (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/66691

Target completion date: 2022-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 4BLRIHCu
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Vidal (Gore Vidal)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williwaw_(novel)
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 21
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1946
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Wanda White
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: War & Military Fiction; Travel Fiction; Nature & Animal Fiction; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: nautical, suspense, World War II, aleutian islands, gore vidal, williwaw

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Williwaw. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Williwaw, by Gore Vidal. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Williwaw, by Gore Vidal. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Williwaw, by Gore Vidal."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: williwaw_##_vidal_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. williwaw_01_vidal_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Surprising that a Gore Vidal is PD! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is up. We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. It might be a little difficult, just because of the lack of PD'ness outside of the US.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
vviera

Post by vviera »

I can DPL. Sounds interesting.

Verla
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

vviera wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:34 pm I can DPL. Sounds interesting.

Verla

Thanks Verla! You now have access to the MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
vviera

Post by vviera »

[quote=icequeen post_id=1969321 time=1636572863 user_id=16184

Thanks Verla! You now have access to the MW!
[/quote]

Awesome sauce.
Cheers, VERLA

wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Thanks to you both!

I've read the material twice and will have to do some voice work so listeners can tell who's talking. Sometimes I record one character's lines all at once to keep it consistent. I just wanted to let you know that my work may seem sporadic but I'm working on it. I will check in at least monthly.

Having read the material, I need to make an adjustment to the description at some point. Not sure how to go about that but I'm also not ready. I've done a little research on Gore Vidal that might go in if possible.

Anyway, I'm excited to be working with you!
Cheers,
Wanda
vviera

Post by vviera »

wwhite wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:35 pm Thanks to you both!

I've read the material twice and will have to do some voice work so listeners can tell who's talking. Sometimes I record one character's lines all at once to keep it consistent. I just wanted to let you know that my work may seem sporadic but I'm working on it. I will check in at least monthly.

Having read the material, I need to make an adjustment to the description at some point. Not sure how to go about that but I'm also not ready. I've done a little research on Gore Vidal that might go in if possible.

Cheers,
Wanda
You're welcome. See you when you're ready.
Cheers, VERLA

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

wwhite wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:35 pm Thanks to you both!

Cheers,
Wanda
Just as long as you check in once a month, you can take as long as you like to get the project done.

As far as the summary, there are two ways to change it. You can either use the little pencil button in the upper right hand corner of the first post. That will allow you to edit your own post. Or, you can just post it in the thread later, when you have finished tweaking it. The most important place for the final summary to end up is on the Project Page, which you don't have access to. That is how the summary will end up on the LV catalog page and on the Archive page. When I catalog, I check to make sure that the summary has not changed, just to make sure everything is the way you want it to be.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Hi Ann and Verla,

Here's my monthly check in. I have been reading Gore Vidal biographies and his memoir Palimpsest for clues about how he felt about his time in the military that the novel, in part, is based on. One character is like Vidal, and I will try to imitate to some extent his voice and accent for that character. Some sections of the novel are from a first person perspective, some more omniscient. Those that are omniscient I will read in my "normal" voice. First person will be read like that character.

I will start recording this week. Probably narration only, at first, and minor characters who don't have very much dialogue. We'll see how it goes from there.

Some of the dialogue is difficult because as a young writer, he didn't give characters characteristic dialogue. For example, the character despised for being smart and using big words doesn't use big words, and occasionally uses the same slang/bad grammar as everyone else. For back-and-forth dialogue between characters, you can't tell who's talking unless I make them sound different. I pray to the reader god Peter Yearsley for his blessings and wisdom.

Best,
Wanda
vviera

Post by vviera »

What a lot of work you're putting in! I look forward to hearing it, whenever that is.

Verla
Cheers, VERLA

wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Happy New Year Ann and Verla,

I'm checking in for the month. I've reread Williwaw, noted every speaking role and taken note of which character's point of view each section is in and a running total of their characteristics. Sometimes you don't learn where a character is from or other voice cues all in one place. There are 7 major speakers (narrating their pov and dialogue) and about 5 more that speak frequently. I'm now working on trying to give them different voices without sounding cartoonish, at least in the serious parts. There is a little comedy in the otherwise tense story.

I hope to have voices selected and practiced this coming month. My husband is not going to be working from home in about a month, so I can start serious recording then.

I hope you are well.
Wanda
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thanks for the update, Wanda. Happy New Year :)
Cheers, VERLA

vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi, icequeen. Could you please remove me as PL for this project?

Thanks,
Verla
Cheers, VERLA