Greetings from NYC! I'm really excited about this concept!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Wrektjet

Post by Wrektjet »

Hello everybody. My name is Marc, but on this board I will be going by my handle Wrektjet, just to keep things complicated. I love reading, (obviously!) and music, aprticularly attending concerts and shows in NYC. But not what you are thinking. No symphonies for me. Just good old wholesome heavy metal. Bands like Opeth, Clutch, Tool, Pantera, A Perfect Circle, and the like. That is interesting fact #1 about me. Now tell me something interesting about you!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and ask a couple of questions. I'll probably post these in a few other places as well, because I'm not yet sure how active these forums are, hopefully generating at least one reply (but maybe lots!).
First off, simply because a book is not in the Project G. database does not mean it isn't eligible for recording, obviously. However, if a story was originally published outside the US on, lets say January 12 1923, may I then read it? Is there someone involved with the Librivox project to whom I could adress specific questions to? [I am asking specifically about Liam Oflaherty's "The Sniper"]

Thanks
Hope to hear from you all
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Welcome! I know a few things about copyright and you can read more about it in the Librivox Wiki here: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/CopyrightAndPublicDomain

Give me a few minutes, and I'll see what I can figure out for the title you mention =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

Welcome Marc, you have good taste in music :) Although, I have no objections to symphonic music either, I quite enjoy it.

I think you'll notice that these forums are very active. Some of us are at the forums a little too often *raises hand*.
vee

Post by vee »

Hi Wrektjet.

Glad to have more NYC members aboard. While I moved away a number of years back, most of my family is still in the area.

Copyright issues are so complicated, and tend to give me a headache. Fortunately thistlechick seems to have a grasp of it. If you have more technical questions I can help, but the whole forum is full of helpful people. Checkout the wiki http://librivox.org/wiki for some info too.

Thanks for joining!

Chris
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Our focus is on US copyright because that is the location where our files are hosted... so it shouldn't matter that the work was published outside of the US.

Had that work been published 13 days earlier, we wouldn't even be having this discussion... however, works published between 1923 and 1949 (inclusive) might actually be in the public domain if their copyright wasn't renewed in the 28th year following original publication.

I've checked the copyright renewal records for the appropriate years and do not find a renewal for "The Sniper" or for the journal in which it was published, The New Leader... (incidentally, O'Flaherty's book Neighbor's Wife did have it's copyright renewed and is, therefore, not in the public domain: http://shelf1.library.cmu.edu/Projects/crr/1951/1951-7-651.tif )

The next question is from what source will you be reading "The Sniper"? If you happen to have the January 12, 1923, issue of The New Leader handy, that would be very cool (though only a few libraries have copies throughout the world).... but it is possible to get a copy of it through Inter-Library Loan at your public library.... in fact, it looks like the New York Public Library might actually have a copy of it... and if they don't, they can certainly get a copy of it for you! ... then you could even scan it and we could contribute it to Project Gutenberg's collection too.

With all of that said, the short answer is: Yes, you can record it! =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kayray

Post by kayray »

thistlechick wrote:
With all of that said, the short answer is: Yes, you can record it! =)
Yay! Thanks, Betsie, and welcome, Marc! Yeah... these forums are quite active. Bewilderingly so, sometimes :) Make yourself at home and holler if you have any more questions!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Wrektjet

Post by Wrektjet »

Thanks a lot you guys. I actually will be recording it (as soon as I get the software figured out well enough) from an anthology of short stories I have lying around. I am actually hoping to read a lot of Conrad, but I have always loved "The Sniper" so it will come first. The last image of the story has stayed in my mind since first reading it one day during math class. (yes, I meant math class)
And thanks for the links everyone. I had actually read most of what is being discussed, but I figured I would give a curious example (12 days over the deadline and published abroad) to try to harvest other sources for researching copyrights. I will try to do some of that on my own and let you know what I find.
And I'm happy to see that this board is active!