[Complete] Ninety-Three by Victor Hugo - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885), translated by Aline Delano (1845 - )

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ninety-three-by-victor-hugo/

1793. The new revolutionary government of France is laboring mightily to end injustice and bring in an ideal new age of liberty, equality, and brotherhood, beginning by killing those obnoxious persons who don't appreciate their ideals. In Vendée a force of peasants, strongly supported by imperial England, is laboring mightily to overthrow the revolutionary government and restore Christianity, family, honor and decency, beginning by killing those obnoxious persons who fail to appreciate those noble phenomena. The exiled Marquis de Lantenac returns from England to lead the Vendéan revolt, to institute a take-no-prisoners policy, and to win a series of bloody victories.

Lantenac is opposed with some success by his great-nephew the Revolutionary officer Captain Gauvain. Gauvain's superiors in Paris admire his courage and tactical skill, but they disapprove of his belief that the principle of brotherhood requires him to show mercy to his enemies. They send their man Cimourdain, whose unyielding principles they trust, to make sure that Gauvain's reactionary mercies and his family loyalty are not causing him to betray the Republic--and to have Gauvain killed if that proves to be the case. They don't realize that Cimourdain, who was once a priest and Gauvain's tutor, loves Gauvain like a son--loves him, perhaps, as much as he loves God and the Revolution.

Meanwhile, the Breton peasant Michele Flechard, who has just lost her home and her husband in a war which she experiences an incomprehensible nightmare, is simply trying to keep her young children alive and get them to some place that won't collapse in blood and fire. Under the circumstances, this appears about as difficult as bringing about either version of the Just Society.

Note: A listener interested in the story, and not in a long excursus on the architecture and the notable names of the French Revolution, could skip the very long Section 27, The Convention, without becoming confused or losing any of the plot.

(Summary by Joanna Michal Hoyt)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49372

Target completion date: 2022-05-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: Pwr8cLeH
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Hugo (Victor Hugo)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-Three
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 72
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1874
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; Literary Fiction; War & Military Fiction; Religious Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: war, french revolution, justice, idealism, refugees, mercy, extremism

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Ninety-Three. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo, translated by Aline Delano. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo, translated by Aline Delano. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo, translated by Aline Delano."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ninetythree_##_hugo_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ninetythree_01_hugo_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on April 3rd, 2022, 11:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Setting this up for you.

Let me know if you need anything else.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Lynnet wrote: October 31st, 2021, 3:09 pm Setting this up for you.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you very much! I will fill in the chapters tomorrow. I don't think I need anything else.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I am so glad to see this book is finally getting the recording it deserves. I considered numerous times if I can start it and decided against it for some or other reason.
I am no longer an active librivox volunteer so I don't offer to help, but I offer congratulations and support.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Hi Joanna

I did a commercial recording of this book a couple of years ago, and I can tell you it is a difficult read. There are hundreds of French proper names. If you are fluent in French, you will be Ok. If not, like me, it will be a struggle. I had to hire a French proofreader to give me all the pronunciations.

I am willing to be your DPL and offer what second-hand input on the French I can. If you do not need that, that's OK too.

This a fabulous book. Really. I loved everything about it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

sjmarky wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:41 pm Hi Joanna

I did a commercial recording of this book a couple of years ago, and I can tell you it is a difficult read. There are hundreds of French proper names. If you are fluent in French, you will be Ok. If not, like me, it will be a struggle. I had to hire a French proofreader to give me all the pronunciations.

I am willing to be your DPL and offer what second-hand input on the French I can. If you do not need that, that's OK too.

Thank you very much! I would be delighted to have you DPL and also give feedback on pronunciation. My French is so-so. I can read it fluently--hitherto I've always read Quatre-Vingt-Treize in French not English--but I certainly don't have a good enough accent to read it aloud in French. I can listen to and comprehend spoken French fairly well, and I've sung French carols, folksongs etc. with some native speakers, and I hope to be able to manage the names--if not as a Frenchwoman would, at least with a plausibly close Anglo version--and I've been Googling for pronunciation where in doubt. But I would be very glad to hear when I've missed the mark. (And glad to see or hear any pronunciation resources you may have saved in advance...) I'm not going to attempt French accents in dialogue, though.

I probably won't start recording for a week or so. I'm getting over a cold, and figured I could set up the MW etc during the time when I couldn't actually read, and I also have to record a couple of sections for group projects when I get my voice back.

Yes, I also love this book, despite what I wrote about violence, melodrama, sentiment and digressions...

Congratulations on doing a commercial recording of this book! And thank you again for being willing to help me out with the amateur version!
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on November 1st, 2021, 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sjmarky added as DPL. Moved to Going Solo.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

miss stav wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:21 pm I am so glad to see this book is finally getting the recording it deserves. I considered numerous times if I can start it and decided against it for some or other reason.
I am no longer an active librivox volunteer so I don't offer to help, but I offer congratulations and support.
Thank you for the support! I don't know if I can give this book the recording it deserves, but I'll give it my best shot...
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Perhaps a foolish question, maybe for Mark, maybe for Lynnet: Is it any kind of copyright problem/ethical problem if I get Mark Douglas' version of Ninety-Three from Audible so I can listen to it and closely imitate his pronunciation of French proper names for this free version?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

JoannaHoyt wrote: November 1st, 2021, 6:07 am Perhaps a foolish question, maybe for Mark, maybe for Lynnet: Is it any kind of copyright problem/ethical problem if I get Mark Douglas' version of Ninety-Three from Audible so I can listen to it and closely imitate his pronunciation of French proper names for this free version?
It’s not a copyright issue, but I don’t think you want to be imitating my bad French. I’m sure you will be better at it than I am.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I think it would be fine for inspiration.

Just don’t paste his recordings into yours :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you both for the clarification! Mark, I'm downloading your version now--partly just looking forward to hearing your reading (I greatly enjoyed the samples), and also looking forward to having native-speaker-verified name pronunciations, as I often guess wrong about which syllables ought to be emphasized and sometimes also about which consonants need to be voiced.

Lynnet, I'm thinking about how to do the intros for this book given its various subdivisions. I think the way to do it is to start with section numbers, so that at the beginning (say) of Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1, I'd say "Section 2 of Ninety-Three. This is a LibriVox recording, &c... Ninety-Three, by Victor Hugo, translated by Aline Delano. Part 1, The Sea. Book 2, The Corvette Claymore. Chapter 1, England and France United." But would it be OK in the next chapter in the same book just to say "Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 2: Night with the Ship and the Passenger" rather than reading out the part and book titles again? Or do I not need to read part and book titles at all? Sorry, I haven't read books before that were set up quite like this.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

It’s largely up to you. You need the book and author in the disclaimer and some kind of note it is a new section.
It does sound cumbersome to put the whole enchilada in there. You could use the section numbers from the MW or Part one, book one, chapter one — then just chapter 2 etc. until you get to, say, Book 2, then repeat the long version.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

sjmarky wrote: October 31st, 2021, 7:41 pm Hi Joanna

Thank you again for being willing to PL this. I apologize for getting off to such a slow start--I think things should move more quickly from here. I'd be glad to hear any feedback you're up for offering on pronunciation, volume variation, voicing, and anything else.

Section 1, 23:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ninetythree_01_hugo_128kb.mp3
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »