Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

realisticspeakers wrote: August 29th, 2020, 5:40 pm I think it may sound odd pasting your part in the middle of a dialogue, but there is no way I could pull off imitating you.
Unless you think you might record those lines as a tutorial for me to imitate with inflections and appropriate emotions and all?
ok I will read the sentences more slowly once and then fluently so you can imitate the emotions. I'll post the link in the proper thread :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

Hello,

I am in need of a male voice to assist with two phrases in the book "The Wrong of Slavery," by Robert Dale Owen, for roughly 40 words.

1)
Dans tous ces traites, pas une disposition, pas une syllabe destinee a defendre ces malheureux centre les abus et les souffrances.
2)
Au dix-septilme et au dix-huitieme siecle I'Europe entifere se livre ouvertement a la traite des noirs.
If you are willing to volunteer, please let me know in the thread linked below.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81091
Oremus

Post by Oremus »

Hello everyone,
Can someone please help me with the proper pronunciation of these words/sentences below. I have no idea why such a long quote in French is in the book I'm reading but this is way beyond me. Any help would be very much appreciated. I really want to get this audio on the public domain.

Thank you,
Dean
------------
Languedoc
Armagnac
Cominges
Beziers
Picardy

Tantost s'ala agenouiller
Devant lui et cria mierci
Sire, je crois Dieu vous a chi
Envoie por moi amender.
Por cou je vous vuel creanter
Q'jamais en toute ma vie
Ne porsivrai le compagnie
De ceus ki sont centre le loy.
An cois, vivrai en droite foy,
Si com vous m'avez enseigne.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Oremus wrote: August 10th, 2021, 9:16 amCan someone please help me with the proper pronunciation of these words/sentences below. I have no idea why such a long quote in French is in the book I'm reading but this is way beyond me. Any help would be very much appreciated.
it is older French, but I can read it. I can do it tomorrow morning if nobody else comes in before me, if you can wait that long. You want it read slowly so you can copy the pronunciation or fluently so you can insert it with my voice ? Either is fine with me.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, here is the file, I read it slower and more fluent, so you can decide what to do with it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-for-oremus.mp3

here is the translation if you wish to know what you are saying:
Languedoc
Armagnac
Cominges
Beziers
Picardy - these are all regions and cities of France
I read the old French in a more modern French pronunciation, so the text would be more clear for modern readers.
Tantost s'ala agenouiller - He then fell down on his knees
Devant lui et cria mierci - Before him and begged for mercy
Sire, je crois Dieu vous a chi - Sir, I think God has you here
Envoie por moi amender. Sent to make me a better man
Por cou je vous vuel creanter - Therefore I want to promise you
Q'jamais en toute ma vie - That never in my entire life
Ne porsivrai le compagnie - I will seek the company
De ceus ki sont centre le loy. - Of those that are against the law
An cois, vivrai en droite foy, - And with this I will live in the right faith
Si com vous m'avez enseigne. - The way you have taught me.
Hope this helps :) if you wish you can send me your recording of the poem by PM and I can listen to it and give you feedback.

Sonia
Oremus

Post by Oremus »

Hi Sonia,
You are AWESOME!

I would love for you to record this poem for insertion into this book if you are interested. I am hoping to finish the second chapter this weekend and I can share it with you.

Dean
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Oremus wrote: August 11th, 2021, 11:10 amI would love for you to record this poem for insertion into this book if you are interested.
ah if you prefer me to read it, ok, I can redo it. Unless you think the "fluent" version was good enough, but I can also read it a bit more "poetic" still if you like. Didn't think my attempt would be the finally-used version :lol:

Tomorrow morning, I'll re-record it then. What project are you in ? I will post it there then and send it to the MC's correct folder.
(Update: I think I found the correct thread :lol: viewtopic.php?p=1934909#p1934909)

Sonia
colebndct

Post by colebndct »

Hello French pronunciation thread!

I am recording a couple of chapters in the book "Ideala" but I have a few French lines that are beyond what I can perform well.

Said lines are:
'vainqueurs des vainqueurs de la terre'
'L'ignorance où les femmes sont de leurs devoirs, l'abus qu'elles font de leur puissance, leur font perdre le plus beau et le plus précieux de leurs avantages, celui d'être utiles.'

If someone can help me out (it's in no rush) I would be really grateful!

Colleen
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

colebndct wrote: August 20th, 2021, 6:32 amI am recording a couple of chapters in the book "Ideala" but I have a few French lines that are beyond what I can perform well.

Said lines are:
'vainqueurs des vainqueurs de la terre'
'L'ignorance où les femmes sont de leurs devoirs, l'abus qu'elles font de leur puissance, leur font perdre le plus beau et le plus précieux de leurs avantages, celui d'être utiles.'
hello Colleen, I just recorded those two lines, once very slowly, so you can well hear the pronunciation, once more fluently, so you know what it should sound like.

A translation may help, so you know what you are reading :mrgreen:

> the winners of the winners of the Earth
> the ignorance, in which the women are, of their duties, and the abuse of the power they have, make them lose the most beautiful and precious advantage: that to be useful.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-ideala.mp3

If you want me to check your pronunciation and comment on it, you can PM me :)

Sonia
colebndct

Post by colebndct »

Hey Sonia!

Please excuse me for responding so late! This is very much appreciated, thank you!

Colleen
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could someone pronounce this sentence slowly and at normal speed for me, please?

Faut tout souffrir pour être veau

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Out of context, but maybe that should read

Faut tout souffrir pour être beau ?

You must suffer all "to be beautiful" as opposed to "to be a calf"

Meanwhile, I will let someone whose French is better than mine do the pronunciation for you.
Jo
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It may well be a typo; I've found one other in the same poem. This is from one of Harry Graham's strange little verses.

Your tastes may be of simpler type;--
A homely pint of 'half-and-half,'
An onion and a dish of tripe,
Or headpiece of the kindly calf.
(Cruel perhaps, but then, you know,
''_Faut tout souffrir pour être veau_!')

You must be right, Jo.

Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:05 pmIt may well be a typo; I've found one other in the same poem. This is from one of Harry Graham's strange little verses.
actually I have recorded this poem a while ago (wow, 5 years already ! :shock: ) for the full perverted proverbs project: https://librivox.org/perverted-proverbs-by-harry-graham/ (section 4). At about 1:40 you can hear the line.

And I think it should say "veau", because it's supposed to be a pun on words, he mentions "calf" in the same stanza. While the correct proverb is indeed "you have to suffer to be beautiful" (beau) here he perverts it (hence the title of the collection) into "calf" (veau).

I pronounced it in "correct" French, but in retrospect, maybe I should have made it rhyme on the previous line's ending "know", and pronounce it in a more English fashion. I guess that is up to you.

Hope this helps

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Sonia, that's perfect. I'll listen to your poem ... and will distort the pronunciation as you've suggested.

Peter