Evenin' all

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
michaelocc

Post by michaelocc »

Well, it's evening here, anyway. "Here" being Toronto, Canada on a chill, clear March night.

Sort of stumbled into Librivox while looking for free audiobooks for the kids (planning to load up the iPod for our coming road trip to Florida).

I love the idea of this project. AKMA's gang-Lessig reading gig was an inspiration. I'd almost forgotten about that until I came across this place.

Anyway, I'm going to post a couple of book suggestions into the relevant threads, and might even take a crack at the weekly poetry reading.

Glad to be hear. :-)

/m
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Welcome to LibriVox, Michael!

Oh there are a lot of good audiobooks for a drive from Toronto down here. Try Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court which runs for many many hours and is entertaining all the way through.

If you choose to read, I recommend starting off with something short like the Weekly Poetry piece or one of Aesop's Fables. Feel free to ask any questions which may pop up; you'll find we're a pretty friendly group.

It's great to have you here, Michael - always nice to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Welcome to LibriVox - and have fun on your road trip - how long is that going to take you? Days and days, I'd imagine...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Well now THERE'S a cultural difference for you. It never even occured to me that there was any way to drive that except straight-through. Toronto to Disney World is about 23 hours by road.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
michaelocc

Post by michaelocc »

There's a natural warmth to a community like this - one of those great meeting places one finds on the 'Net. Gives you a certain small hope for the future of civilization.

The road trip looks like it's going to be a little over two days. Stopping off somewhere in Kentucky the first night, then the bottom end of Georgia for night two. Hoping to roll up at the gates of the Kingdom around lunchtime on the third day.

Three young kids, one exceptionally patient wife, DVD player, GameBoy, Leap Pad, iPod, cooler stuffed with snacks, and 1,406 games of "I Spy".

We might be mad. If not now, then we surely will be by the time we arrive.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome michael ... we've got some kids books done too, so you could try those...
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

We might be mad. If not now, then we surely will be by the time we arrive.
Oh I don't know. Road trips can be fun. We always take lots of sing-along music and try chorus singing ;), and of course audio books. Depending on how young your kids are, you should be able to find some on the LibriVox catalogue (Aesop's Fables and Grimms' Maerchen should go for most age groups, and we have The Little Princess and Alice and lots of others). The exceptionally patient wife should come in handy!

Just don't do what I did when we drove from the UK to Malta a few months ago: at every stop I stocked up on sweets and liquorice etc, and by the time we got here I had a massive stomach upset :)

We also developed exercise routines for the longer stops - we trailered down a boat so the whole set-up was huge - we positioned ourselves at opposite ends and tried to catch each other, leapfrogged across anything handy around the service station etc... got to be silly and out of breath on your breaks, otherwise you'll go mad! :D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
michaelocc

Post by michaelocc »

Many thanks for the encouraging words, and that terrific list of links. We've pulled down the Alice and the Hodgson Burnett already. Some of the Oz books might be an excellent addition too.

Thanks so much.

/m
"Allow me to furnish the interior of my head as I please, and I shall put up with a hat like everybody else's" -- Henri Bergson