COMPLETE: The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History by Martin Hume -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History, by Martin Hume (1847 - 1910)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-wives-of-henry-the-viii-by-martin-a-s-hume/

King Henry VIII is so often depicted as a far-seeing statesman, pressing forward through a lifetime with his eyes firmly fixed upon the goal of England’s religious freedom. Similarly, the lives of each of Henry’s six wives are often described as isolated phenomenon that had by chance attracted the desire of a lascivious despot, and in her turn had been deposed when his eye had fallen, equally fortuitously, upon another woman who pleased his errant fancy better. In this book the author regards Henry as a weak, vain, boastful man, the plaything of his passions, which were artfully made use of by rival parties to forward religious and political ends that ended in the Reformation. The author shows how each of Henry’s wives, in turn, was an instrument of politicians, intended to sway the King on one side or the other. As such, the lives of these six Queens assume an importance in England’s national history which cannot be accorded to them if they are considered in the usual light as the victims of a strong, lustful tyrant. This wider aspect in which the public and political significance of Henry’s wives is presented will provide a clearer understanding of the tortuous process by which the Reformation in England was effected. (Summary by Warren Kati paraphrasing the Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32813

Target completion date: 2022-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Middle Ages/Middle History

Keywords that describe the book: Reformation, wives, Henry the eighth, political intrigue, marital alliances

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History, by Martin Hume. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History, by Martin Hume. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History, by Martin Hume."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wivesofhenryviii_##_hume_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wivesofhenryviii_01_hume_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Sciguyvoice on February 5th, 2022, 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

A DPL has been identified for this project: chulsky
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

I see that there is a typo in the Title: should be: ". . . Eighth and the Parts . . ." instead of " . . . Eighth of the Parts . . . ".

Would an admin please correct this?

Thanks,

Warren
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Warren. I can MC for you again.

ETA: I've suggested a shorter filename. See what you think.
Jo
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Jo,

The shorter file name looks great. Thanks for volunteering to be MC.

Warren
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

:thumbs:
Jo
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

The DPL is reporting for duty! Looking forward to the pleasure!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Mark,

Glad to have you on board for this one. I have the first two sections recorded but I need to re-record a few sentences and then splice them in. The final sections should be ready for you within the next week.

Cheers,

Warren
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Mark,

I am looking forward to doing another book together with you.

I am glad that you are interested in British history. To feed that interest, I have uploaded the first two sections of this book for your PL review. One of my challenges is to avoid a monotonic read. If that becomes the case, I guess that I can always submit sections the the LV Insomnia collection :D

Best,

Warren
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.0,1 PL OK :thumbs:

Great job, Warren! You must be fluent in French, as I don't hear any pronunciation deviations.
This book is much drier than your other LV projects, and it is a bit harder to narrate, but you are doing great. The LV Insomnia collection would have to look elsewhere :-)

I took liberty to specify in the Notes the breaking points inside chapters, to make sure we do not miss or overlap fragments.

Looking forward to more!
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the PL and the encouraging comments. Also like your idea to keep track of the beginning and endings for each section.

I have never studied French or Spanish so please point out any egregious errors in pronunciation. I try to look up the pronunciations before recording but I would not be surprised if the correct pronunciations get “lost in translation” occasionally.

I should have section 3 posted this weekend but it might be 2-3 more weeks before the next section. Now recovering from knee surgery.

Warren
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Hi Mark,

The next section is now ready for PL.

I hope that you have a happy Father's Day!

Warren
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Warren!
Hope your knee is quick to recover and forget about the surgery!

Will listen soon, meanwhile I purchased this: https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/age-of-henry-viii (no, I didn't pay the full price)
I am going to listen to these two in parallel.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.2, just a tiny inconsistency, Warren, you omitted "political matrimony" from the section title. Was it intentional?
Otherwise great!
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Good catch, Mark. I will fix it this weekend.

Between PL’ing this book and your Great Courses class, you will be getting a heavy dose of Henry VIII.

Enjoy,

Warren