COMPLETE: Our Western Birds, by Elizabeth & Joseph Grinnell - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jime1 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 9:48 am Hi good morning everybody! I'd like to read section 15 "Different Sparrows". Is it still available ? :)
All yours.
Thanks!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
This is Ready for PL
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Gnatstomper wrote: May 17th, 2021, 6:49 pm Larry,
May I read section 21 The Shrike. Thanks.
You've got The Shrike.
Thank you.
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Larry,

I'll do the two chapters on the swallows, if I may. Sections 16 & 17. BTW Section 16 should be The Bank Swallow not the Barn Swallow. :)
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 17th, 2021, 9:41 pm Hi Larry,

I'll do the two chapters on the swallows, if I may. Sections 16 & 17. BTW Section 16 should be The Bank Swallow not the Barn Swallow. :)
Well, glad to have you reading!
Thanks, and I've made the correction. I did notice that when I set it up, but forgot to change it.

Thank you!
~ Larry
Gnatstomper

Post by Gnatstomper »

-Nat Spratt
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, that was speedy!
Glad to put this in the MW Ready for PL. :)
~ Larry
DeliaSkoep

Post by DeliaSkoep »

Hello! Could I do #26?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DeliaSkoep wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:07 am Hello! Could I do #26?
Welcome to LV and to this project!

I've assigned this section to you.
~ Larry
alanine

Post by alanine »

May I take 20 (Western Wrens) and 28 (West Coast Thrushes)?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanine wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:36 am May I take 20 (Western Wrens) and 28 (West Coast Thrushes)?
Thank you!
I've put you in for this section.
~ Larry
alanine

Post by alanine »

silverquill wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:38 am
alanine wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:36 am May I take 20 (Western Wrens) and 28 (West Coast Thrushes)?
Thank you!
I see you put me in for 28 only. May I also have 20?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanine wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:41 am
silverquill wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:38 am
Thank you!
I see you put me in for 28 only. May I also have 20?
Sorry about that!
And with that, this project is fully subscribed. :clap:
~ Larry
JGVoices

Post by JGVoices »

Hello!

Here is my recording of Chapter 18 (The Cedar Waxwing). Thank you for the opportunity!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/westernbirds_18_grinnell_128kb.mp3

-Jonathan
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: May 15th, 2021, 7:56 am
KateTk wrote: May 14th, 2021, 8:22 pm
mleigh wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Chapter 3 was beautifully read - you have a nice and clear voice. I did, however, pick up a lot of background noise throughout. Running it through the Checker app showed it was over 44dB. A run through the noise reduction feature in Audacity or equivalent in whatever program you are using will clean that up nicely (I tested it). You also have a little too much silence, about 0.5 seconds, at the start, it should be between 0.5 and 1 second in length.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing more of your recordings. :D

M
Hi M!

Thanks so much for the compliment on my reading :D and thank you for the technical suggestions.

Before I go ahead and fix the recording, can I bug you for some advice? This is a really embarrassing question... :cry: What is the dB limit for background noise? I did study the requirements on recordings that were posted but I must have totally missed this :oops:

I look forward to your reply so I can get the file right :D
Well, there isn't any specific value given or required for background noise, so you didn't miss anything.

There must be something I'm missing about Checker because I'm not aware that it measures background noise, so maybe our DPL can enlighten us both. :wink:

I just go by what I hear in my headphones. This is probably within our standard PL limits, but the recording would be greatly improved by applying noise reduction. I routinely do this for all of my recordings. You can take your noise sample from the beginning or ending silence. I set my noise reduction to 12 dB in Audacity and it works fine. Gave me a good result on this file. The beginning silence does need to be trimmed a bit since it is over one second. We need these spacings to that when compiled nothing gets clipped and so there aren't large gaps.

Excellent work!
I concur. It is most definitely excellent work. And is now PL OK.

I learned about the background noise from reading someone's comments in another topic. If you select "Validation" on the menu bar in Checker and select "Choose Validation Methods" there is a checkbox for "Background Noise". The value that I see on most recordings is 24.2 dB. Yours comes in at 27.5.

I am not aware of an actual value for background noise. (Although the individual above mentioned 40 but then backtracked on that as they weren't sure where they got that number from.) I try to get rid of as much as possible when I record - I actually do the noise reduction twice in audacity, the first time for the regular static at about 11dB and then the second time I find a really grainy section and use that at a much lower dB to get rid of the rest. I have allergy problems year round and am a quiet reader which is why I do it twice.

I don't know what you did with your file but it is really good now and there is no background static. I would certainly love to listen to more of your recordings. :clap:

Thanks,

M