[COMPLETE] Some Do Not... - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 13: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_13_ford_128kb.mp3 (30:45).

Sylvia is quite a character! From a little background reading I've been doing, it would seem that both Sylvia and Florence Dowell (from 'The Good Soldier') were based, at least partly, on Violet Hunt, a writer with whom FMF had a liason spanning about eight years. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Hunt
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

You’re on a roll! I hope to catch up soon.

Thanks for the explanation about the public domain! I had assumed that there’s a neat register somewhere that gives definitive answers. But there’s little definitive, maybe especially when it comes to books.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 14: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_14_ford_128kb.mp3 (25:32).

On top of all the other strangenesses, what amazing names some of these characters have. Lord Port Scatho! And even way back in section 01 we had "Old General ffolliott", which might not sound so odd, but certainly looks odd in print with the double f starting the surname, and in lower-case too. This 'ffolliott' is apparently a quite legimate, if unusual, usage — albeit one I'd never encountered before.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I made a mistake when I downloaded the sections before my walk and missed Section 12. A lot must have happened in that recording and I can't wait to listen to it tomorrow!

I PL'ed Section 13 and there is a very small mistake. At minute 14:05 you read "...Sylvia answered" but it should have been "Tietjens answered". The rest of the section is fine.

Section 14 is okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:13 am I PL'ed Section 13 and there is a very small mistake. At minute 14:05 you read "...Sylvia answered" but it should have been "Tietjens answered". The rest of the section is fine.

Section 14 is okay.
Thank you, and good pick up! I have uploaded an edited version of section 13 for you to spot check in the problem area. The file duration is unchanged.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: May 9th, 2021, 2:03 am I have uploaded section 12: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_12_ford_128kb.mp3 (19:28)
Today I downloaded section 12 again. Left the house, switched on the recording, and found myself listening once more to section 9. :mrgreen: You must have accidentally uploaded Part 1, Chapter 6, section 2 twice :hmm: Kindly check.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:25 am
Today I downloaded section 12 again. Left the house, switched on the recording, and found myself listening once more to section 9. :mrgreen: You must have accidentally uploaded Part 1, Chapter 6, section 2 twice :hmm: Kindly check.
Oh, how frustrating for you! I'm sorry. Looks like I inadvertently entered the URL to the section 09 audio file in the Magic Window in the entry for section 12. I've corrected this now.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I have uploaded section 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_16_ford_128kb.mp3 (53:35)

I've also today added a topic to the Launch Pad for the No More Parades, the next book in the tetralogy. Got to post this a little sooner than I was originally expecting. Won't start recording for that, though, until this is complete.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Thanks for all those further PL checks over the weekend, Susanne.

I have just now uploaded:
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Hi Peter,
I haven't abandoned ship. I found the start of Part 2 and the subsequent sections very confusing. It has nothing to do with you but I struggle to follow the storyline. Therefore I keep re-listening to sections to make sure I don't loose the plot. I'll catch up very soon.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Susanne, that you are taking up this challenge so seriously is a great testament to your engagement with this project. It's NOT an easy book.

In his introduction to the Penguin edition of Parade's End (ie, the whole tetralogy, in a single volume), Julian Barnes has written:

“The narrative also goes round and round, backtracking and crisscrossing. A fact, or an opinion, or a memory will be dropped in, and often not explained for a dozen or a hundred pages. Sometimes this may be a traditional cliffhanger: a character left in a state of emotional crisis while the novel ducks off for fifty or sixty pages at the Western Front. More often, the device becomes something much more individual and Fordian. An explosive piece of information, murderous lie or raging emotional conclusion might casually be let drop, whereupon the narrative will back off, as if shocked by anything stated with such certainty, then circle around, come close again, back off again, and, finally, approach it directly. The narrative, in other words, is acting as the mind often works. This can confuse, but as V. S. Pritchett said of Ford, ‘Confusion was the mainspring of his art as a novelist. He confused to make clear.’ To say that a great novel needs reading with great attention is somewhere between a banality and an insult. But it applies particularly to Parade’s End. It will be a very rare reader who does not intermittently look up from the page to ask, ‘But did I know that? Have we been told that already or not?’ "

Julian Barnes goes on to give some examples of specific things that are likely to have puzzled a reader in this way. I don't want to recite these here specifically so as to avoid spoilers, but I hope you can see from the remarks above that you are not alone.

I've made some changes to the project summary that I hope will give prospective listeners at least some inkling of the challenge that they're likely to be in for, but I'm afraid that, apart from general comments that the book was 'difficult' or 'challenging', you yourself didn't get such warning from me. And then, of course, I didn't make things any easier for you by mixing up my links to one section, so that you were left listening to sections out of sequence.

All this is perhaps a long way of saying that if you do make it to the end (which I hope you do), you will definitely deserve an elephant stamp on your homework. :thumbs:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I've made some changes to the project summary
Peter,
Did you make changes to the summary on the Project Screen page or on the first/top post of this thread?
Dave