1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
refilwe19

Post by refilwe19 » April 10th, 2021, 7:50 am

Hello

Please listen to my 1-minute test. I used audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/teestlibrivox.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 10th, 2021, 2:37 pm

refilwe19 wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 7:50 am
Hello

Please listen to my 1-minute test. I used audacity.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/teestlibrivox.mp3
Hi there! Thanks for submitting a test recording to Librivox!

There are a couple of things that need to be fixed in this recording - I have outlined them below -

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB).  We aim for 89 dB - your recording came in at 92.6 dB which is just a little bit over. It is easy to fix though! Also, your audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned.

So we will do the cleaning first, as often when cleaning, it will reduce the volume of the recording at the same time so we might not need to actually do any volume changes!

Please open your recording in Librivox and look at it. See how there are really HIGH and low lines? First we are going to compress them. So, highlight your recording by selecting Ctrl-A OR pressing the little Select button in the box on the bottom left side next to where your waves are. There is Mute and Solo at the top of that box.

Now, select Effect - Compressor and leave everything as is except for the Ratio and set that by sliding the bar to 5:1 Now press OK. See how the spikes in your recording are a lot more closer together now?

Now, still with your recording highlighted, select Effect - Noise Reduction and click on Get Noise Profile. This will take a look at your recording. Now, with the recording still highlighted go back to Effect - Noise Reduction and enter 6, 6,0 and 6 in the boxes and leave the dot at Reduce. Press OK.

This has now noise cleaned your recording too.

At this stage, due to the compression and noise cleaning I think the volume will be within the range. Let's try and Export the file and see where you are. Please name the file test_librivox.mp3 It is important that you get used to putting underscores in your file names.

Now upload it just like you did before and post it to THIS THREAD so that I can check out what you did!

If you have any questions please let me know.

Lynda

PS, in case you do need to increase or reduce the volume in the future, after the noise cleaning, with the recording highlighted, you go to Effect - Amplify and enter either a positive or negative number for the amount of decimals you want to change the recording by. Just a tip - you do not need to do it with this recording as I think it will be fine...

refilwe19

Post by refilwe19 » April 10th, 2021, 2:40 pm

hello
Please listen to my 1-minute test. I used audacity
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_testi.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 10th, 2021, 2:45 pm

refilwe19 wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 2:40 pm
hello
Please listen to my 1-minute test. I used audacity
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_testi.mp3
Hi there! Is this a duplicate of the one you sent in earlier today? I would look at the one earlier and do those changes over this recording please...

Lynda

refilwe19

Post by refilwe19 » April 11th, 2021, 11:28 am

Hello Lynda
Please help, I don't understand.Now, still with your recording highlighted, select Effect - Noise Reduction and click on Get Noise Profile. This will take a look at your recording. Now, with the recording still highlighted go back to Effect - Noise Reduction and enter 6, 6,0 and 6 in the boxes and leave the dot at Reduce. Press OK.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 11th, 2021, 6:36 pm

refilwe19 wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 11:28 am
Hello Lynda
Please help, I don't understand.Now, still with your recording highlighted, select Effect - Noise Reduction and click on Get Noise Profile. This will take a look at your recording. Now, with the recording still highlighted go back to Effect - Noise Reduction and enter 6, 6,0 and 6 in the boxes and leave the dot at Reduce. Press OK.
Hi there - you have posted 3 recordings now in this forum. I do not know which one you want me to check for you and provide feedback on.

Please reply to THIS THREAD and post the link (you can just copy it) or tell me which one that you want me to listen to - there are two in this thread and one that you posted earlier this afternoon in a separate thread.

I want to help you get through this technical set up however with all these recordings it is hard to know which one you are submitting as your test. :)

Lynda