The State and Revolution, V.I. Lenin

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
brent

Post by brent »

I'd like this one, too. :D
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Can you give us a link to the text?
brent

Post by brent »

Cori

Post by Cori »

Brent ... what we need to know is that the work is in the public domain.

Excuse me asking a stupid question, but did Lenin write in English..? (I honestly don't know.)

If so, this is fine, since, according to the page you link:
The book, however, was not printed until 1918, when there was no longer any need for the pseudonym. The second edition appeared in 1919; in this revision Lenin added to Chapter II a new section "The Presentation of the Question by Marx in 1852".
If however, this is a translation, you're going to need to prove that the translation is also in the public domain (simply being online doesn't evidence that ... we'll need to know the translator's name or publishing company or suchlike.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
brent

Post by brent »

No, he would have written it in Russian first, however, I'm not sure how to go about finding out about hte translation. I think I'll ask the library at the university I'm at...maybe they can help. I'm guessing the Gutenberg list doesn't distinguish between languages.
Cori

Post by Cori »

If by Gutenberg list you mean DavidP's list of clearances, I'd think you could just tell by the title of the work (if it's in Russian or English itself.) That list doesn't tend to give edition information, though, so unless the work has been released through PG (in which case, read from there!) you'll need to show that the translation you want to use is public domain (because there are probably a number of translations of this; some will be okay, some not.)

On the plus side, you are developing l33T book-search skills. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Brent,

I've done a little digging, and I think the translation you are suggesting here is not in the public domain.

However, i did find an alternative translation, which would be acceptable for LibriVox:

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5846421#

Questia is a pay service, but I seem to be able to view this text without problem - hopefully you will too. It also unhelpfully cuts the text up - you may have a laborious job of cutting and pasting into Word to do before you can start.

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
brent

Post by brent »

I was able to see the link! Thanks Carl! :D
sucatraps

Post by sucatraps »

Any progress? :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I suspect as we last heard from the poster in November 2007 that he is unlikely to be working on it and that that answer is no - he is not making any progress
Maybe someone else will want to read it some time.

Anne
sucatraps

Post by sucatraps »

Thanks for your reply, Anne!

That's too bad.

Are there any volunteers?

I have not overcome my english problem, Konglish yet.
Maybe, if there is the Korean text... :P
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

you have moved it to the top of the book suggestions by posting - so someone may take it up . A korean translation would need to be in the public domain and I'm sorry I have no idea of the PD laws and can't read Korean so I'm not much use there. Except to say we would welcome you reading anything Korean that is legal for Librivox

Anne
sucatraps

Post by sucatraps »

Yeap, I just hope my post is whetting someone's appetite.

Who knew that this book could be the best-seller?
Lenin's State and Revolution was one of the best-sellers in Portugal when the revolution in Portugal brought down a fascist dictatorship 37 years ago.
In reading anything Korean, I'll give it a try sooner or later.

Kim Hyeonwoo
Pseudonicus

Post by Pseudonicus »

Hopefully people don't mind this thread being brought back from the dead after so many years of inactivity. I'm looking to get this book up and running, either solo or with others (if there are any interested).

It looks to me like this edition is good to use, as it states here that: "All material within these Archives, unless noted otherwise, is public domain." Could someone more knowledgeable about such things confirm?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm unsure of that source. The footnotes are clearly not from 1919. I found a PDF of "Lenin Collected Works, Volume 25" here (PDF link) which says it was first printed in 1964 in Moscow. (See page 10.) That makes it very likely not PD in the USA.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart