COMPLETE SOLO Constitutions of the Holy Apostles (Books I - III), by Anonymous-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

Constitutions of the Holy Apostles (Books I - III), by Anonymous translated by Alexander Roberts (1826 - 1901)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/constitutions-of-the-holy-apostles-books-1-to-3-by-anonymous/
The Apostolic Constitutions are made up of eight treatises on Early Christian discipline, worship, and doctrine, which was intended to act as a manual of guidance for the clergy, and laity. It claims to be composed by the Twelve Apostles who received these instructions from Jesus Christ, although most scholars believe it to be a 4th-century work.

The structure of the work is as follows:

Books 1 to 6 are a re-writing of the Didascalia Apostolorum.
Book 7 is based largely on the Didache, with Chapters 33-45 containing prayers similar to existing Jewish ones.
Book 8 has a treatise on charismata, along with, what are known as, the Canons of the Apostles.
(Summary based on Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://ccel.org/ccel/anonymous/constitutions/anf07

Target completion date: 2021-04-17

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Book # of Constitutions of the Holy Apostles (Books I - III). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Constitutions of the Holy Apostles, edited by Alexander Roberts. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Book # of Constitutions of the Holy Apostles (Books I - III). This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
End of recording:
Say:
"End book #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Constitutions of the Holy Apostles (Books I - III), edited by Alexander Roberts."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: constitutions_##_unknown_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ancientchristian on March 1st, 2021, 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ancientchristian

The worldcat link for the source of this work is here:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/fathers-of-the-third-and-fourth-centuries-lactantius-venantius-asterius-victorinus-dionysius-apostolic-teaching-and-constitutions-homily-and-liturgies/oclc/370722655&referer=brief_results

I wasn't sure who to put for the translator so I put the editor.

I also wasn't sure what to put for the author since the author is unknown.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

AC,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Given how you describe the book, I would say the author is unknown. We don't have a spot for an editor, so we don't usually enter that info. It's fine to add it to your intro if you want.

MaryAnn
ancientchristian

MaryAnn,
Thank you for setting this up. Anonymous makes sense. It seems to match the ccel reference as well.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, I've changed the catalog record to anonymous.
MaryAnn
ancientchristian

I stumbled across this work online and thought it looked interesting. However, having not seen the book form I seriously misjudged the length. The book runs about 550 pages, which is a bit much for me. Do you mind if we split up the book and I just do Books I and II rather than all eight in one go?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I don't think it's a problem to split it up. We can add "Books 1 & 2" to the project title ...

MaryAnn
ancientchristian

Brilliant, thank you, that's a big relief. I will change the intros for the existing recordings.
ancientchristian

I finished recording Books I - III. I figured I might as well include book III since that completed the eighth slot, which was the original goal.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great. I've updated the title in the catalog record. Now we just need a PLer ...

MaryAnn
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Hi! I can DPL this if you'd like me to...
ancientchristian

Fantastic. Yes please do help out.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jennifer,
You now have access to the MW.
MaryAnn
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Thanks, Mary Ann!

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK. I've updated the MW.