COMPLETE [HEBREW] The Blind by Jacob Steinberg -choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

The Blind (העיוורת), by Jacob Steinberg (1887 - 1947)

This project is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-blind-by-jacob-steinberg/

The story is told from the point of view of a blind woman named Hannah, who is married through matchmaking to Israel. Throughout the book, the woman gradually discovers more details about the man she married. (Summary by me)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015024587332&view=1up&seq=190

Target completion date: 2021-03-14

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Blind (העיוורת). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Blind (העיוורת), by Jacob Steinberg. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Blind (העיוורת), by Jacob Steinberg. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Blind (העיוורת), by Jacob Steinberg."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: blind_##_steinberg_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. blind_01_steinberg_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: chocoholic

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi there, Jazzman, I'll MC this for you. Stand by for your MW --
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You're all set! A few housekeeping notes:

- I've added you as BC so you can update the Magic Window. Here are instructions on how to do that, in case you need them: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
If you have any trouble logging in or dealing with the MW, please let me know.

- Jacob Steinberg isn't yet in our author database, so I'll add his name. If you'd like to include his name in Hebrew characters, please post it here so I can copy/paste it. (My keyboard doesn't handle RTL languages without a struggle, so it's easiest for me to copy and paste.)

- I swapped the words in the title so it'll show in the catalog in Hebrew with the English translation in parentheses instead of the other way round; hope that's OK with you.

- Summary: would you like to have it in both Hebrew and English? Also, I changed "Summary by me" to "Summary by Guy Lederfein"; OK?

- Chapter titles in the MW can be in Hebrew. The file names will need to be in roman characters.

- After you've uploaded the first file I'll post an ad for a prooflistener. Finding one might take some time because we don't have many Hebrew-speaking volunteers.

Let me know if you need anything!
Laurie Anne
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

chocoholic wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:07 am You're all set! A few housekeeping notes:

- I've added you as BC so you can update the Magic Window. Here are instructions on how to do that, in case you need them: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
If you have any trouble logging in or dealing with the MW, please let me know.

- Jacob Steinberg isn't yet in our author database, so I'll add his name. If you'd like to include his name in Hebrew characters, please post it here so I can copy/paste it. (My keyboard doesn't handle RTL languages without a struggle, so it's easiest for me to copy and paste.)

- I swapped the words in the title so it'll show in the catalog in Hebrew with the English translation in parentheses instead of the other way round; hope that's OK with you.

- Summary: would you like to have it in both Hebrew and English? Also, I changed "Summary by me" to "Summary by Guy Lederfein"; OK?

- Chapter titles in the MW can be in Hebrew. The file names will need to be in roman characters.

- After you've uploaded the first file I'll post an ad for a prooflistener. Finding one might take some time because we don't have many Hebrew-speaking volunteers.

Let me know if you need anything!
Thanks for helping out with this project!

- I'll have a look and update the magic window. I already have a recording of the first chapter.

- Here is the author's name in Hebrew: יעקב שטיינברג

- Having the name and Hebrew and the English translation in parentheses makes sense :thumbs:

- Summary looks good :thumbs:

- The chapters of the book actually don't have names. In the original text they're numbered with roman numerals. In the reading I just number them with Hebrew letters (א, ב, ג), as custom in Hebrew books.

- No worries on the prooflistener time. I'm not in a hurry :wink:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Good job! That was quick work! I'll go post a PL ad now. I will also move this thread to Going Solo (the original URL will still find it).

I've entered the Hebrew name; thank you! I've added it alongside his roman-character name so both versions will show on the book's catalog page. I've also added it as an alternate name on its own. I found him as Yaakov Steinberg in one reference, so I also added that in case anybody ever searches for it. Would you kindly look at our catalog entries for his name to be sure all the Hebrew is going in the right direction and making sense? https://librivox.org/search?q=jacob%20steinberg&search_form=advanced

(As is probably painfully obvious by now, I can't read a word of Hebrew. I can look at the characters and see if they seem to be in the same order as yours, but that's about all.)
Laurie Anne
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Looked at the catalog entries. All look good to me :thumbs:
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

OK, done uploading all the sections. All are ready for PL :wink:
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

I can do the Hebrew PL. I'm just not sure: should I just listen and post here afterwards or am I supposed to update the Magic Window (and if so - how? I get only "upload new files" and "login for MC/BC")?

Daria
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Oh, fabulous, both of you! Daria, I've entered you in the database as the DPL, so you now have access to the MW. Please post your notes in the thread and then change the status of each section in the MW to either "See PL notes" or "PL OK." If you have any trouble at all, please let me know.

Might either of you want to make the CD cover for this book? No pressure -- the Hebrew lettering might be a bit easier for you than for other potential cover makers, but the book will get a cover whether or not you make it yourself. I've made CD covers for several Hebrew books, but since I have no artistic/design ability, mine tend to be kind of boring. :) More info on cover making: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785
Laurie Anne
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Ok, tried creating a CD cover for the book. I posted it HERE
It's my first time trying this and don't have much experience editing pictures, so I hope it came out ok :lol:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Wow, you're very fast! It won't be linked in the catalog until the book is complete, so I'll go ahead and preclaim it for you in the cover claims list. The book will pop up in that list after it's cataloged, and we can't have somebody else claiming the cover before we have a chance to link up yours.

In case you need to know for your next book, the cataloging software automatically calculates the runtime, so you don't have to add up all the file times yourself (you'd just have to wait until the book is cataloged to get the time for the cover).
Laurie Anne
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

PL ok for all sections (Magic Window updated).

Congrats! :clap:
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Great! I've started the cataloging process. It'll probably be complete tomorrow.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Cataloging is complete: https://librivox.org/the-blind-by-jacob-steinberg/

Congratulations! And great job on the cover! I've just noticed that the summary on the cover is different from the summary in our database. Would you like to change the one in our database to match?
Laurie Anne
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Sure! The one on the cover is more comprehensive, so makes sense to update the database to that one.
Thanks a lot for your help cataloguing the book! :)