[Complete] Charles the Bold, Last Duke of Burgundy by Ruth Putnam - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ArturoJR17 wrote: January 26th, 2021, 12:44 pm Chapter 21/22 is finished! It is one, large recording. I read it according to the HTML file, which had no separation for chapter 22, or a designation for it. So, I read the whole things as one chapter and called it "Chapter 21"

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlesthebold_21_putnam_128kb.mp3

Track length: 57:37

Thanks so much! A very fascinating read!
That’s fine... I just wanted there to be the option to break it up.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

ArturoJR17 wrote: January 26th, 2021, 12:44 pm Chapter 21/22 is finished! It is one, large recording. I read it according to the HTML file, which had no separation for chapter 22, or a designation for it. So, I read the whole things as one chapter and called it "Chapter 21"

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlesthebold_21_putnam_128kb.mp3

Track length: 57:37

Thanks so much! A very fascinating read!
Sec 21 is PL OK - great reading!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We have 2 orphans.
heironymouslex

Post by heironymouslex »

Hello,

I'd be up for reading these two orphans if they're still available?

My Best,

Malachy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

heironymouslex wrote: February 21st, 2021, 2:22 pm Hello,

My Best,

Malachy
I will just sign you up for 1 for now.
heironymouslex

Post by heironymouslex »

All good - there's one for you. Gosh, this Charles guy reads like Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/charlesthebold_09_putnam_128kb.mp3

21:57
Lynnet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:10 am

My Best,

Malachy
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

heironymouslex wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:05 pm All good - there's one for you. Gosh, this Charles guy reads like Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

Lynnet wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:10 am

My Best,

Malachy
Thank you. Please be sure to check back for PL notes.

Do you still want that last section?
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

All good - there's one for you. Gosh, this Charles guy reads like Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

PL note for section 09: Please reduce silence at the end to 5 seconds - currently you have 10. Everything else is good to go.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Please complete all edits by March 7.
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

If nobody else has claimed it (I know someone was floating the idea a couple days ago, so it wasn't clear), I'd be happy to take the last orphan section.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: February 25th, 2021, 8:42 pm If nobody else has claimed it (I know someone was floating the idea a couple days ago, so it wasn't clear), I'd be happy to take the last orphan section.
I haven’t heard back from the other reader, so it is yours.
CassiopeiaSparks

Question: :help:

In reading the old English letters, (I'm working on Section 14) there are some abbreviations I'm not sure how to identify. Should I read them in the shortened form, or is there somewhere I should be making sure I have the correct expansion?

For example, "...he shal have for his Reward C.l of Land in Yerely Value to Hym and to his Heyres or Mil. Lib in Redy money..."

Also, :?:
since we're omitting most of the footnotes which simply reference other pages or cite sources, do we simply say "quote" and "end quote" at the beginning and end of each excerpt that quotes a letter or other manuscript? Or is there another trick to making clear when we are reading something other than narration?
And when there are [brackets] within a quote, is that going back to the narrator's voice mid-quote?
Last edited by CassiopeiaSparks on March 1st, 2021, 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

aaaand... :?:

I'm trying to determine when to use the original foreign pronounciation (ie, reading "de par de ça" in my best french accent) or when to use the author's english on words that have been culturally stolen/adopted into english (ie, "a declaration that the fiefs and arrière-fiefs...", where I bolded the word I'm indecisive about.)

Generally I assume that if PG prints it in italics, it's best to be read as close as possible to the original accent, while if it's in normal font alongside other english words, it should be read in english...

IF that makes sense, would you agree?
so mote it be
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: March 1st, 2021, 9:00 pm aaaand... :?:

I'm trying to determine when to use the original foreign pronounciation (ie, reading "de par de ça" in my best french accent) or when to use the author's english on words that have been culturally stolen/adopted into english (ie, "a declaration that the fiefs and arrière-fiefs...", where I bolded the word I'm indecisive about.)

Generally I assume that if PG prints it in italics, it's best to be read as close as possible to the original accent, while if it's in normal font alongside other english words, it should be read in english...

IF that makes sense, would you agree?

As the author is citing what I'm sure are arcane and obsolete references to both parcels of land and units of currency, no one expects you to do hours of research to find out what they are. Just go ahead and read them as written. As to the editorial brackets, I always prefer to include them in order to elucidate what is often a difficult point. Finally, as to pronunciation of foreign words, it's always best to pronounce them in the original language if possible, even if there is some English equivalent nearby.

I hope this helps, and thanks.
CassiopeiaSparks

I do appreciate the responses, Rita, thank you!
Perhaps I get too nitpicky for myself, considering we're all volunteers. But I love literature and audiobooks, and I like to do an excellent job with whatever I'm doing, and I want to make sure I'm doing justice to the rest of the Librivox crew I've just joined.
:wink:
so mote it be